NY Airports for Ports

NMCruzzin

Hello!

We always fly in a day before our Cruise, but I am wondering which airport is closest to the Cruise Terminals, Long Island airport or LaGuardia?

Or, does it depend on which Cruise line we are on? Looking at a New England Cruise this fall & trying to make the transportation part as easy as possible! :D

Might be flying Southwest.

Thanks!

For NYC the answer is "it depends" since there are multiple piers and multiple airports. Compound the fact that not every airline flies into every airport and you have so many possible choices.

Here's a quick run-down though to get things going:

- Southwest only flies into Islip Airport, 55 miles east of NYC. NOT CONVENIENT FOR CRUISES!!!!! Plus any savings on airfare will be eliminated by the added travel expense.

- LGA or JFK is closest for cruises out of Manhattan or Brooklyn

- EWR is closest for cruises out of Bayonne

If you start to get an idea of which cruise line you'll be sailing on, we can start talking more specifics since everyone sails out of different piers.

Its unfortunate that Islip is so far out with really poor public transportation.

For the Manhattan Pier LGA is closest followed by EWR and then JFK in mileage. In cost of transportations its LGA JFK and then EWR being the most expensive.

For Brooklyn Its LGA with JFK and EWR petty close in mileage but again in cost it will be LGA JFK and EWR.

For Port Liberty(Bayonne)...its EWR with either JFK or LGA being very expensive.

Note that you need to factor in both land and air costs to get a total pricing. Often, you will find different prices into different airports, all on the same airline. For example, if I fly into LGA on CO, it is cheaper than flying into their hub at EWR. JFK is sometimes cheaper due to the presence of jetBlue. Plug in all three airports and see what you find. (Some search programs allow you to use NYC as a city code, rather than using LGA, JFK and EWR for separate searches....give it a try).

As for Islip, forget it....definitely not convenient if you are toting any kind of luggage. With a briefcase, yes, using the LIRR. Otherwise, no way.

As for Islip, forget it....definitely not convenient if you are toting any kind of luggage. With a briefcase, yes, using the LIRR. Otherwise, no way.

It may not be convenient, but you can do it.

As long as your luggage fits over head or under the seat you are ok doing that.

Only you can decide if you want to do it.

The conductors aren't red caps.

And rush hour is a no no.

Once you narrow down your cruise search and decide you will have a better idea on which airport to use.

Thanks so much for your help!

I did my search and I can grab flights from ABQ to LGA for about 300.00 pp - which is GREAT! :D So, which Cruise Terminal is closest and what Cruise line would I start checking with to make a perfect match? ;)

This just might work out after all! Yea!

Closest to LGA are the Red Hook (Brooklyn) terminals which is Cunard & Princess. Also close are the Manhattan West Piers which are used by NCL and Carnival.

Check out the NYC cruise terminal website as they have a calendar of who's sailing from where. http://www.nycruise.com

If you have your heart set on sailing RCL or Celebrity, they are out of Bayonne (NJ) which is easiest to reach from EWR.

Picking a cruiseline on the basis of which terminal is closest to LGA is folly in my opinion. The difference in a taxi fare to any of the piers would be far outweighed by getting the correct line for YOUR preference in cruising style and execution.

Just my 2 kopecs worth.....give it a re-think.

Also try flying into one airport and out another. Search engines like kayak.com allow you to do that.

Our last cruise, we saved about $100 per person by flying into FLL and out of PBI, rental car one-way to PBI was $55 so we still saved $145 for both of us and it was only a one hour drive to the airport.

Also try flying into one airport and out another. Search engines like kayak.com allow you to do that.

Our last cruise, we saved about $100 per person by flying into FLL and out of PBI, rental car one-way to PBI was $55 so we still saved $145 for both of us and it was only a one hour drive to the airport.

Great suggestion!

In NYC JFK-LGA-EWR are all considered co-terminals so you can fly into one and out of the other with no penalty by the airlines. And by doing this you can sometimes get better flight times and/or prices.

Archived