Right or Left ???

Bigboataddict

I am thinking about renting a car in the Caymans this cruise and was wondering which side I should get the steering wheel on. Seems to me that a left side would be more natural even though they drive on the wrong side of the road!!!

I would like to hear from some cruisers who have driven in the Caymans and see what you did.

Mark

Well, from those of us who actually live here....

We don't care what side of the car the steering wheel is located, just keep to the left of centerline - on the correct side of the road.

In a right-hand drive car, the turn signal is on the right side of the steering column and the windshield wipers are on the left. If it is your first time driving a rhd car, you will probably end up turning on the windshield wipers every time you are intending to signal a turn.

:rolleyes: Hmmm.... on second thought, definitely get a right hand drive car! When we see your windshield wipers going for no apparent reason, the locals will know that you are a tourist and we will be prepared for evasive manuevers. If just the wipers go on, you're turning right. If wipers and washer fluid activate, you're turning left. :D

We always rent a car that has the steering on the left side. It just seemed more natural...and we knew where things would be located. We figured with the steering on the left, all we'd have to do is focus on staying on the correct side of the road. If it were on the right, we still have to focus on staying on the correct side of the road plus locate the things inside the car that would be in a different location (and we'd have to take our eyes off the road to do this).

We also have had no issues with driving. The traffic does not move that quickly, and we've found the GC drivers to be very courteous.

Have a great time. Renting a car is a wonderful way to see the island. :)

In a right-hand drive car, the turn signal is on the right side of the steering column and the windshield wipers are on the left. If it is your first time driving a rhd car, you will probably end up turning on the windshield wipers every time you are intending to signal a turn.

This is exactly why we rent a left-hand steering column. :)

:rolleyes: Hmmm.... on second thought, definitely get a right hand drive car! When we see your windshield wipers going for no apparent reason, the locals will know that you are a tourist and we will be prepared for evasive manuevers. If just the wipers go on, you're turning right. If wipers and washer fluid activate, you're turning left. :D

Now this is the sense of humor we love...and why we keep coming back to your island. :)

Thanks for the replies.

I reserved a left column PT Cruiser convertable today and am planning to drive to Rum Point and spend the day. We have gone there a couple of times, but never had very much time there on excursions.

Hope all of the islanders have good dodging skills!:)

Mark

Thanks for the replies.

I reserved a left column PT Cruiser convertable today and am planning to drive to Rum Point and spend the day. We have gone there a couple of times, but never had very much time there on excursions.

Mark

One thing we noticed...if you let someone in the line of traffic (say there's a line of traffic waiting for a traffic light), they will toot their horn as a thanks to you. Sometimes in addition to the horn, they'll give you a little wave. Where I come from if you hear a horn and see a hand, it's not going to be a friendly gesture! lol I think one of the things that was the hardest to deal with when was we returned home to all the rude drivers!

Thanks for the replies.

Mark

I was just wondering who you rented the car from? We were interested in doing this, but I couldn't find a car rental agency near the cruise pier. :confused:

We are leaving on our cruise this Saturday and we just assumed there would be places to rent a car from when we arrived near the pier. Did ya'll make a reservation before you cruised so they could pick you up?

How much did it cost you to rent a vehicle? We have found that we enjoy renting our own vehicle and exploring the islands on our own, stopping whenever we choose.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go? I know we want to go to Hell because I write alot of letters to our deployed troops and I think they would get a kick out of getting a post card from Hell, anything to bring a smile to their brave faces, LOL!

Any traffic advice from you natives? The last time I was on your beautiful island we got stuck in traffic and luckily it was a tour booked through the cruise line so the ship waited for us.

We are leaving on our cruise this Saturday and we just assumed there would be places to rent a car from when we arrived near the pier. Did ya'll make a reservation before you cruised so they could pick you up?

Nothing near the pier. Definitely make a reservation. Most of the common chain car rental places have an outlet in Cayman...and most of the prices seem to be within a few dollars of each other, so just choose your favorite rental company and go from there. Any of the airport locations are fine and I think all will pick you up from the pier downtown.

Does anyone have any recommendations on where to go?

Near Hell is Boatswains Beach - http://www.boatswainsbeach.ky/

In the other direction are lots of other sites. Check out http://www.caymanislands.ky/activities/default.aspx for multiple options, or grab one of the tourist coupon/activity books at the pier, or they might also have them at the car rental places.

Any traffic advice from you natives?

Allow plenty of time to drop off the car and get back to the ship for the last tender. Murphy's Law says that when you're running late, that's when you'll hit the traffic jams. :D Avoid the road along Seven Mile Beach at the start and end of the day for the same reason...that's where a lot of the traffic seems to be. Otherwise, just relax and go with the flow...and remember to stay on the correct side of the road...

• 2 weeks later...

I find it most helpful to have the driver's side on the right--since it's different than what I'm used to it reminds me constantly that I drive on the other side of the road as well!

Archived