To GTY or Not, that is the question

We have only booked an interior GTY once, and it was fine. We were on either deck 3 or 4, towards the middle of the ship. I would have no problem doing it again, but DH likes to be higher up and near an elevator, which means we generally book a Cat M or N cabin. Many of our friends book JS's and balconies whenever they cruise, and they usually pay twice what we pay for a more modest cabin, but we are then able to take more cruises!

If your cabin will make or break your cruise, then book what you want from the "get-go". If you really don't care, and only want to be on the ship, then a gty. is an economical way to cruise.

Personally, I like to know what I'm buying--I want a great room in a great location, so a gty. is NOT for me!

Upgrades are more frequent (although still rare!) for gty. bookings. They can change your cabin at any time prior to boarding with a gty. booking.

Find what you would consider the "worse" room you could get with the GTY class you booked. If that works for you - then book it.

We just did on our upcoming med cruise, cat Y outside GTY. Got the area of the ship I figured we would get - right up front on deck 3 - but then again, we saved over $1000. :)

Only you can decide if it will work for you, . . .

We booked an interior guarantee last cruise... they assigned our cabin, I wasn't too jazzed with the location but we could have lived with it... we aren't really cabin people anyway which is why we book inside... all we do is shower, sleep and change in our cabin...

So just before we sailed, I checked to see what else was available... we moved up 2 decks, and the price of that cabin was less that what we had paid for our guarantee due to a last minute residency discount and got a credit for the difference...

With the exception of our last two cruises, we always book inside guarantees. 1/2 the time we've gotten exactly what we've paid for (a basic inside room) and 1/2 the time we got bumped up to outside rooms. Go I usually get bumped up when I'm sailing w/my mom, who happens to hate outside rooms....:p

I'm always happy w/anything as long as I'm on a cruise. I definitely find insides to be much cozier.

Laura

Booked an OV guarantee once and got deck 5, all the way fwd. Very loud cabin, but we booked last minute and it really wasn't that bad (short 3-day cruise). Also booked JS Guarantee and got a GS on the Monarch.

Overall, would do it again in a heartbeat!

Deb

I've booked guarantees in the past with great results, good results, and just okay results. Whether or not I will book them again depends on the ship and the reason for cruising. For example on the Sovereign class I would be very, very cautious before booking an inside or oceanview guarantee on that class ever again after getting assigned to an oceanview on the promenade deck - and having to keep the drapes closed the entire cruise AND having someone throw a party outside our window at 3am. On the Radiance class or higher, I wouldn't have any qualms about booking a guarantee again.

Archived