Air Canada cuts flights and staff

marle7

Thanks for the info. I am flying to Vegas on Air Canada at the end of the month....or at least I thought I was going to.

Gee Lorene, how far a drive is it from Calgary to the nearest US airoprt?

And it's probably true that it will be a little cheaper going through their Star alliance partner, United, if you are flying out of the states. I know several people here in Toronto, who regularly drive to Buffalo to hop on a United or Air Canada flight from there because the price is less. I have no clue why.

Hi Marle:

People won't be flying Air Canada out of Buffalo....AC doesn't fly from Buffalo, and besides, if they did, it would only be back to Canada but Buffalo does offer flights from United, Delta, Southwest, Air Tran, Continental, Jet Blue Northwest, US Air, and others.

We're just west of Toronto (Oakville) and we always check flights from Buffalo...often cheaper...fares often cheaper, and taxes/fees definitely are cheaper. It's a bit of a drive 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours versus 30 mins for Toronto Pearson, but, it's especially handy for flights to US destinations because we go through customs at the border as opposed to waiting in the US Customs lines-of-death at the airport in Toronto. However, the border crossing by car is always a bit of a crap-shoot, but we generally go pretty early, so it's generally no problem at all (5 mins or so). Parking's cheaper at Buffalo airport, too!

For example, we'll spend a weekend in NYC, over our July 1st holiday....4 of us. From Toronto, cheapest flights were in the $450-475 range....we're flying Continental out of Buffalo (to Newark), paying $212.50. So we save 4X$240=$960...that's worth the drive to Buffalo! As we know, in Canada, if it moves...they tax it!!

Kevin

Hi Marle:

People won't be flying Air Canada out of Buffalo....AC doesn't fly from Buffalo, and besides, if they did, it would only be back to Canada but Buffalo does offer flights from United, Delta, Southwest, Air Tran, Continental, Jet Blue Northwest, US Air, and others.

We're just west of Toronto (Oakville) and we always check flights from Buffalo...often cheaper...fares often cheaper, and taxes/fees definitely are cheaper. It's a bit of a drive 1 1/4-1 1/2 hours versus 30 mins for Toronto Pearson, but, it's especially handy for flights to US destinations because we go through customs at the border as opposed to waiting in the US Customs lines-of-death at the airport in Toronto. However, the border crossing by car is always a bit of a crap-shoot, but we generally go pretty early, so it's generally no problem at all (5 mins or so). Parking's cheaper at Buffalo airport, too!

For example, we'll spend a weekend in NYC, over our July 1st holiday....4 of us. From Toronto, cheapest flights were in the $450-475 range....we're flying Continental out of Buffalo (to Newark), paying $212.50. So we save 4X$240=$960...that's worth the drive to Buffalo! As we know, in Canada, if it moves...they tax it!!

Kevin

No AC doesn't operate out of Buffalo, but it's Star Alliance partner, United does so you can still get Aeroplan points. My mistake!

We're in Oakville too, and generally for flying to NY these days, I'll take Porter out of the Island airport to NY or NJ. They recently had a $99.00 seat sale on for NJ which is worth the minor hassle of getting to the Island airport!

Archived