Air Canada cuts flights and staff

marle7

Air Canada today announced it was cutting some flights and some 2,000 employees citing rising fuel costs.

I know that yesterday we were looking at flights for our New Year's eve Westerdam cruise. In economy, the price for the three of us was almost $8,000 return! I realize that over the holidays are a higher priced time to fly, but that's ridiculous. We are seriously reconsidering the New Year's cruise at this point.

Air Canada today announced it was cutting some flights and some 2,000 employees citing rising fuel costs.

I know that yesterday we were looking at flights for our New Year's eve Westerdam cruise. In economy, the price for the three of us was almost $8,000 return! I realize that over the holidays are a higher priced time to fly, but that's ridiculous. We are seriously reconsidering the New Year's cruise at this point.

Thanks for the info. I am flying to Vegas on Air Canada at the end of the month....or at least I thought I was going to.

Thanks for the info. I am flying to Vegas on Air Canada at the end of the month....or at least I thought I was going to.

I suspect the popular routes won't be affected, at least flight wise, although the way I understand it, there will be less of them and less direct flights. Price wise is a very different thing.

We have two other cruises booked, one in November and one in March next year.. We were able to book those on points, but the one over the holidays wasn't available at the days and times we needed to get down to Ft. Lauderdale on points. We aren't ones to scrimp, but we were pretty staggered at the price.

Hi, I heard the air canada announcement this morning too. I just booked our flights for December 08 Caribbean cruise. We did use points, but, I really like to shop around and discovered that there's a website called bookinwiz.com that searches for best fares - they compare expedia, travelocity, major airlines, etc. I discovered that the flights our point provider booked, did appear on the bookingwiz site - they were $745 from Victoria, BC to Ft. Lauderdale return + taxes. The flights are with Alaska Air and partner carriers (Delta and Continnental). We travelled last year with Alaska and partner American Airlines to Puerto Rico and had no troubles. I also see that West Jet flies from Canada and they frequently run specials. Flight prices are horrible, but have noticed for the past 4 years Air Canada flights have seemed to be consistently higher than others. Good luck - hope you find some better deals!

Hi, I heard the air canada announcement this morning too. I just booked our flights for December 08 Caribbean cruise. We did use points, but, I really like to shop around and discovered that there's a website called bookinwiz.com that searches for best fares - they compare expedia, travelocity, major airlines, etc. I discovered that the flights our point provider booked, did appear on the bookingwiz site - they were $745 from Victoria, BC to Ft. Lauderdale return + taxes. The flights are with Alaska Air and partner carriers (Delta and Continnental). We travelled last year with Alaska and partner American Airlines to Puerto Rico and had no troubles. I also see that West Jet flies from Canada and they frequently run specials. Flight prices are horrible, but have noticed for the past 4 years Air Canada flights have seemed to be consistently higher than others. Good luck - hope you find some better deals!

I'd forgotten about Westjet! We flew them once and quite enjoyed it. I just checked their site and prices are less than half of what Air Canada is charging. Hmmm, maybe our trip is saved after all.

I'd forgotten about Westjet! We flew them once and quite enjoyed it. I just checked their site and prices are less than half of what Air Canada is charging. Hmmm, maybe our trip is saved after all.

Good to hear. Good luck!

One other thought, when we booked our cruise, I did ask our TA what prices she might be able to find for us and she too found some way better deals than Air Canada. You might also want to check with your TA. Good luck and have a great cruise!

Good to hear. Good luck!

I should have remembered them because the one time we flew with them they were fabulous with me. I have a horrid fear of flying and the stewardess kept checking on me to make sure I was ok during the flight, especially during turbulence.

One other thought, when we booked our cruise, I did ask our TA what prices she might be able to find for us and she too found some way better deals than Air Canada. You might also want to check with your TA. Good luck and have a great cruise!

I did send a note to my TA and she is going to check into it for us as well. My husband is pretty picky about airlines, (he will never fly Air Transat again), but we'll see what she can come up with. I'd hate to have to cancel this one.

I fly frequently. Do not assume that Westjet always has the lowest fares. Often they don't. For me, its about 50/50 as to who has the best price on a route. Sometimes I do one way with each carrier. Westjet counts of people assuming that they always have the lowest price.

I fly frequently. Do not assume that Westjet always has the lowest fares. Often they don't. For me, its about 50/50 as to who has the best price on a route. Sometimes I do one way with each carrier. Westjet counts of people assuming that they always have the lowest price.

True. My husband flies frequently as well so we usually have enough points with Air Canada that we don't have to worry about cost. This is a first. And, for us,driving to buffalo for example, is out. So we'll do some shopping around and see what we come up with. Right now thought, WestJet is looking pretty good compared to Air Canada for price!

I would think most people would compare. I would never just go with who I "felt" had the best price. I do my research and then tell the TA what I want. I haven't had any luck with a TA finding a good price for me. Maybe it's just the TA's in Calgary. I think everyone thinks our pockets are lined with money in Calgary. In my dreams.......:rolleyes:

I ALWAYS get a better internet price on flights than our company TA gets. They claim that they don't have access to sale prices. The TA rate can be anything from 100-225 higher on a Calgary Toronto return ticket. This is on just about every flight that is booked for me.

Speaking of flight costs ...

I just got an e-mail from my ticket tracking site that our tickets to the Eurodam and back home are up $748.60 each since tracking started last October. Unreal! Of course, we're within two weeks ... but still...

In reaction to Air Canada's announcement, Westjet said yesterday that they have no plans for layoffs and the fuel surcharge they implemented last month will make up for the rising cost of fuel. They also have a reasonably new (and fuel efficient) fleet in comparison to Air Canada's.

I'd second iancal's comments. I usually fly AC because more times than not, they have lower prices than Westjet on the routes that I've been flying over the last few years. After checking prices for flights to Ottawa (one of my frequent trips) in the last few days I found that Westjet had better prices, most likely because in the past they haven't flown direct to Ottawa from here (always connected in Toronto, waste of time and fuel). So I may just try Westjet out and see whether they're worth the extra $$$ for my trips in the future.

Is Air Canada the same as Air Canada Jazz? It's the only line I can take that gets me from Boston to Montreal non-stop, though, interestingly, if I buy the tickets through United (their partner) they are a little cheaper??? Any downsides to doing this?

Is Air Canada the same as Air Canada Jazz? It's the only line I can take that gets me from Boston to Montreal non-stop, though, interestingly, if I buy the tickets through United (their partner) they are a little cheaper??? Any downsides to doing this?

Air Canada Jazz is part of Air Canada. Jazz planes tend to be smaller and do the small hops as opposed to longer flights.

And it's probably true that it will be a little cheaper going through their Star alliance partner, United, if you are flying out of the states. I know several people here in Toronto, who regularly drive to Buffalo to hop on a United or Air Canada flight from there because the price is less. I have no clue why.

:eek: We too have been following the announcement from Air Canada's problems. For now, there have been no scrubbed routes except for the Vancouver Osaka run and the flight from Canada to Rome starting in the Fall. We are boked on Air Canada from Vancouver to FLL through Montreal in February. Of course we are a bit worried but figure they won't cancel the busy run between Vancouver and Montreal and as well the route from Montreal to Florida in the "HIGH" season when it is almost a commuter run for the easterners to get warmed up. My husband is a retired CP Air/Air Canada employee and we saw this happen a few times with threatened lay-offs, and route changes. Of course CP eventually went down the tube and was taken over by AC. Hopefully they will deal with the problem by offering buy-outs and early retirements. We know of all sorts of people who would love to be offered either one of these and if offered will get out FAST!!!!!!

In the meantime we will keep an eye on the situation. We have our flights reserved and paid for with "Air Miles" and have flight insurance so that if the flights are scrubbed they will get us on flights that will get us there to catch our cruise. We don't even TRY to use our retirees flight privilages as it is just TOO RISKY!!!! Let's now hope that the insurance company doesn't go belly up!!!!!! :D :D

Archived