Too much spouse....??

Danno

Weeellllllllllll, since I didnt get to post the first time around, I feel left out.:(
Danno, I wouldnt consider you a jerk. I get time away from my wife but it is usually because she can not stand the smell in the bathroom.:eek:

My wife is sitting here next to me as I am typing just shaking her head laughing. Now seriously, on the cruise we do spend time away at times and make plans to be together at other times. This is where the yellow and blue highlighters come into play. She get one color and me another to mark off what events we would like to do. If it happens to be the same event it comes out green.

Dave and Michelle

I really like the highlighter idea--I think that we will give that a try on our next cruise. After 31 years of wedded bliss--(lol) we have found that it is alot of fun to do seperate things--it gives us something to talk about when we get back together.
With my honey working about of town for the next 21 days, I am looking forward to getting back together again. I can only imagine the stories he will share about his time in New Orleans.

[quote name='makethegrade']yes... we're going to go exactly the same... yellow / blue / green.... great idea...[/QUOTE]

It appears that there will be a shortage of yellow and blow highlighters shortly!

Danno, Mrs. Danno is definitely thinking she has a very smart husband and a keeper! Dh doesn't like being dragged through the shops and I don't like him saying "I don't care" fifty times in 60 seconds! Actually, by the 5th day of our second cruise (first was only 3 days with teenagers), we had driven each other crazy! We came up with our together/separate stragegy then. You will never find him eating croissants on the aft deck at sunrise unless he is still there from the night before, I will be there every morning and we will both be quite happy (until I get on the scale)! Favorite phrase - "Do you want company?" answers yes, no, if you want to! Said often enough and we won't be ready to strangle each other before we get off the ship which is much better than at home during remodelling projects!
We tend to make friends with other couples right away so it is easier to go our own ways and know the other one is having a great time too.

Joan, I will be sure to loan him to you any time you want! You can sit on his right side at dinner since my kicking him in the left leg seems more effective! We can put Ron on the other side so you'll be totally surrounded by them!

40 years here, and now both retired. For shore time (excursions and on our own) we usually do the same thing, but sometimes not. While we share many interests, we also have some very different interests. We see no need to ask each other to give up their preference in deference to the other when both can be accomodated. On a cruise this is usually very easy. For example, in Osaka I went to a Geisha day while he went by bullet train to a rememberance museum. Neither of us would have really enjoyed the other's choice.

For sea days, we usually meet for breakfast (I am up and about before he is) and lunch and always dinner, but in between meals we are frequently doing our own things. I am much more social than my husband so I enjoy activities where I can meet folks and have fun. He would just as soon sit and read (or nap) when not at lectures. A cruise is perfect for us as we can each do what we enjoy without worring about the other one, deciding who drives the car, areas that are/are not safe, etc.

As mentioned by someone above, we then enjoy sharing our day's activities with each other over pre-dinner cocktails. Mentioning this, I have two times gone on cruises alone and the only thing I really, really miss is having someone to share talk of the day's activities during "cocktail" times, while getting dressed for dinner, etc. The rest of the time I have alots of folks to talk with, the quiet time before dinner is different.

The length of the cruise also makes a difference. On a recent 7 day, port intensive trip we were together almost all of the time. On longer cruises, we have more "do your own thing" time.

Archived