A must in your luggage

roley

A way to beat the sickness bug that occasionally tours the ships is to take a large bottle of coca cola onboard with you. I was bought up in Africa and when the bugs were about, your doctor would recommend the stuff. A few years ago when we were on Oriana a quarter of the ship went down with it, so I immediately drank FLAT coke, hubby who decided not to (and should of known better after 38 years!!), got the bug but I didnt. Ive never (cross fingers) had a sickness bug and my kids only once as children. We never kept coke in the house and only drank it if we were in contact with a sickness bug. So everytime we go on a cruise hubby carries on his DJs, I carry on a large bottle of coke for us both and loosen the cap in readiness. On the last morning I tip it down the sink. I have taught primary children every day for 35+ years and never picked up a bug. It really does work. Try it!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember when one of my sons was a toddler he had diarrhea and the doctor recommended starving for 24 hours and giving him flat coke. He said it contains certain chemicals which help to rehydrate during this type of illness. I think you can buy powders from the chemist which have a similar function, but obviously flat coke is easier to obtain.

I think the best way to avoid bugs on ships or anywhere else is getting into the habit of thorough hand washing and avoiding touching had rails etc on the way to the restaurant.

Archived