New to Celebrity ...

terry55

We've taken 5 family cruises (3 on HAL and 2 on Princess). Planning our first cruise for just the 2 of us in 2010 when our youngest will be off to college. We're considering the Panama Canal (full transit) on either the Constellation or Infinity. Curious for opinions on how Celebrity will compare to HAL or Princess and any recommendations on these ships. Will be booking a balcony room. Any comments/suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!:)

I have nnever been on Princess but I have cruised HAL and Celebrity a few times each. While both lines are great and the service is remarkable there are things I like better on HAL and things I like better on Celebrity. The buffets on HAL are much better and laid out much better than on the Constellation. The buffet on the Constellation is a mess. The entertaiinment on the Constellation is much better than anything I've ever seen on HAL. The shopping is better on Celebrity. The general feel is more to my liking on Celebrity. There is just an ambiance that I like better on Celebrity. I like that (at least on the Constellation) there is an adult only solarium area. This makes for relaxing afternoons. I love the afternoon snacks on Celebrity. The HAL cruises I have taken were in the Caribbean so I didn't use the shore excursions much. The Celebrity cruises were to Alaska and Scandinavia and Russia. I ues the shore excursions in both places but particularly in the Baltics. The trips were great and very well run and managed. I'm sure you'll have a great cruise how ever you go. Have fun.

We did the Infinity in April thru the Canal. Absolutely delighted with the entire cruise. After 7 Celebrity, 9 HAL and 2 Princesses. Our favorites are 1.) X, 2.) HAL and Princess 3rd. X because of the food and service. HAL because of it old time cruise feel and food is a close second. Any of the choices would be great. Canal transit was spectacular and we found our attention riveted to each lock operation. Having a balcony is a plus. To escape for a lull in the transit. You won't be disap[pointed with any of these choices. Happy sailing.

We have cruised HAL once, Princess twice and Celebrity M class often(always CC) and, in our opinions, Celebrity is far superior. Additionally, Berlitz rates these ships close to luxury, with HAL and Princess at a much lower level. The two latter are fine, but just not in the same class as the M class. It could be that some of the other lower Celebrity ships might equally score with HAL and Princess, but since we have never sailed on them we cannot offer our personal assessment.

3 times and love her...but not in the Canal. We did RCCL for that trip and personally would not repeat that line...loved the design and lay-out of the ship but thought the food (IMO) was poor.

We have cruised HAL 3 times..but only on the Oosterdam R/T SD to Mex. Riveria so not sure I have a good feel for the over-all line....but we have enjoyed each trip and think it is a beautiful ship.

Princess...we have cruised on many of their ships and have enjoyed each and every one...I don't think you can go wrong with any of these lines..and glad you are choosing a balcony...especially with the Canal trip...

Have fun! and enjoy the full transit...it is awesome!!!!! LuAnn

terry55 - I know you were thinking about a panama cruise but have you seen the itinerary for Constellation on Feb 14 2010? This is the cruise right before it does the canal - 14 nights R/T out of Miami with 8 islands. It looks like it is only doing this a couple of times before it starts the canal cruises.

BTW - we have done both Princess and X and although we enjoyed both would give the edge to X - but that's a personal preference and as such totally subjective.

Any advice on the excursions for the Alaskan cruise?

Also, in terms of clothing, we have been told to bring lots of layers. How cold does it truly get?

In terms of dress code, how dressy do people really get in the evenings? For the internet cafe, what time of the day is it least busy?

For the spa, which services are the best rated?

Thanks in advance!

Archived