Walking in Amsterdam vs. StrippenKaart

We will be staying in Amstedam for 2 days prior to our cruise. Given that there is SO MUCH to see, we are going to do our best to pack it all in within the two days. My question is….can anyone tell me how long of a walk it is from Dam Square to the Rijkmuesum or from Dam to the Resistance Muesum, Anne Frank House, etc. Also - can anyone provide info on how the zones are divided if I decided to use the tram? I found information on how the Strippenkaart works but I cannot seem to find how you determine how many zones you are traveling in order to stamp the appropriate number of strips. Thanks in advance for your help :)

We will be staying in Amstedam for 2 days prior to our cruise. Given that there is SO MUCH to see, we are going to do our best to pack it all in within the two days. My question is….can anyone tell me how long of a walk it is from Dam Square to the Rijkmuesum or from Dam to the Resistance Muesum, Anne Frank House, etc. Also - can anyone provide info on how the zones are divided if I decided to use the tram? I found information on how the Strippenkaart works but I cannot seem to find how you determine how many zones you are traveling in order to stamp the appropriate number of strips. Thanks in advance for your help :)

You should post your question to the Western Europe/British Isle sector.

There Ine will give you all answers subject you will not find there them at all posted there...

Have your rain coat and boots with you...

All major streets in Amsterdam are flooded... called Grachten...

Regards,

HeinBloed

My answer in the other Europe board:

The zones are posted at the tram and busstops. Of course the driver can help you with that too. Apart from the regular strippenkaart, there is a discount "rosa" one, for people over 65 and also a daycard for around E. 6.40 p.p.

Details can be found on this site:http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

Almost everything you name are within the same zones, which means you have to stamp 2 strips per person each time..

Walking from Dam to Ann Frank will be about 10-15 minutes. To Rijksmuseum about 30 minutes.

Re flooded street, I hope you understand Hein is talking about the many canals....But indeed weather is unpreditable, you might get some rain.

Caryba -- on our pre-cruise in Amsterdam last August, we walked and used the trams. We did walk from the Rijksmuseum to Dam Square --and then to Centraal Station and beyond. Even at our slow pace, it took about 30-45 minutes--but it was a delightful walk. We got a real feel for the city and could feel how it changed as we moved from neighborhood to neighborhood.

We also used the trams to get around--and became quite good at it. The trams run frequently and we always felt safe using them. We bought a strippenkaart at the tourist office in the airport, the same place we bought our ticket for the Connexions shuttle to our hotel.

Using the strippenkaart is actually quite easy. We asked someone who was getting on the tram at the same time we were to show us how to do it--language was not a problem. They showed us how to fold the card and insert it into the stamp machine so that the stamp falls on the correct strip.

The downtown area is one zone, which means that you have to use 2 strips (2 zones, 3 strips, etc). You fold the card so that the stamp falls in the second strip from the last one that you used; you don't have to stamp each strip. you can use two separate cards but then you must remember to stamp each card. We had a 15 strip card and always used just two strips for each of us, which left us with an extra strip.

More than one person can use the same card but you must be sure to have one stamp for each person and the correct number of strips. The stamp has the day and the time on it.

Once you get the hang of it (one ride:)) it is simple and the trams are very convenient, especially when you have been walking all day. A couple of different routes were convenient to our hotel in the museum district and we used them to get us to the various parts town. It saved time and let us see different areas of town. The only time we ever used a cab in Amsterdam was to get from the hotel to the ship with ALL of our luggage.

Actually, I only got to use the stamping machine once, it was easier to give the ticket to the conductor who sits in the last car (or driver if we got on at the front door) and say something like "two to Westmarkt," and then he or she would stamp in the correct place. What makes trams immensely easy to use in Amsterdam is the fact that the next stop is both announced and displayed inside the car. There are definite named tram stops, with shelters, unlike some American cities where the trams or busses stop at every street corner.

Thanks everyone. :) It sounds like pretty simple and although my goal is to walk and take in the beauty, these posts really helped calm my anxiety of the Strippenkaarts. These boards (and the people who reply) are so wonderful. Thanks again!

You also can get 24 hour pass. You will find yourself walking a lot anyway but if you learn to use the trams and they are simple to use them you will see a lot more. We stayed in Dam Sq. Last time but found ourselves going to Leidseplein a lot to eat etc. and we just used the tram everytime 1, 2 or 5,( I think) tram maps are everywhere. The tourist office and most likely your hotel has them it is so easy. GVB I think its called and you also can use it to go on the canals and it gives you discounts on museums etc. The strips make most US tourists nervous until you get used to them. Mostly I just give them to the conductor. Enter the tram at the front and exit off the middle and you will never have a problem. People are very friendly in Amsterdam so just ask.

try

http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

You also can get 24 hour pass. You will find yourself walking a lot anyway but if you learn to use the trams and they are simple to use them you will see a lot more. We stayed in Dam Sq. Last time but found ourselves going to Leidseplein a lot to eat etc. and we just used the tram everytime 1, 2 or 5,( I think) tram maps are everywhere. The tourist office and most likely your hotel has them it is so easy. GVB I think its called and you also can use it to go on the canals and it gives you discounts on museums etc. The strips make most US tourists nervous until you get used to them. Mostly I just give them to the conductor. Enter the tram at the front and exit off the middle and you will never have a problem. People are very friendly in Amsterdam so just ask.

try

http://www.gvb.nl/english/Pages/default.aspx

Racegoer:

Well said and so right. Amsterdamers are a friendly lot. For me, even with all of Ine's excellent advice the StrippenKaart still seemd a mystery to me! Those trams have a bunch of routes/numbers! :)

So, I used the little de Opstapper vans a whole lot one day. My hotel was on Prinsengracht. 1 euro a ride...an hour or ....much longer I found. Flag them down to board, get off when you want. They do the outer canal ring......via Prinsengracht...go way over to Central Station & Stedekjik Museum areas. I loved riding them around as mostly locals aboard and quite vocal as to where to get off & then back on. I just rode some. Used/asked for Riijksmuseum....off I got for a short walk over. Later, driver let me off nearest to 2 block walk to Van Loon House Museum. Then locals on board said I had to get off and see the new Library near Stedekjik museum & even advised me the best walk along water back to see Central Station and find the little de Opstapper van to head back. Then off again back at Leidsplein to get a canal tour. I got off and on a lot. I had some maps Ine had posted so I did get my bearings and I did criss-cross back/forth a bunch. But, this little van was never very full and it seemed mostly used by locals who were most anxious to make sure I saw everything within a walk of its route. It was really rather funny. I walked the 9 streets, Anne Frank, 2 markets, saw the Homomonment, the House of 9 Heads, got off where someone said to....walked backwards along the Golden Curve and got the van again. Someone advised to jump off, walk back further into Jordaan & then come back for a van. I did. Pretty walk. These little vans show up about every 10 minutes. Had a lovely lunch at someplace called Rendezvous after the museum....walked another 2 blocks & flagged down the little van again. It was a hoot. I rode back/forth quite a bit w. short walks and checked off everything on my list in about 6 hrs......cost of 3 euros(after you have a couple of tickets....they just told me to climb aboard.) Amsterdamers are the best. It's one terrific city & they love to share it.

If I'd had to figure out those tram numbers I'd have been berserk. Instead, I just rode around multiple times on these vans, flagged them down where/when I needed them and chatted with the few riders it had who were ALL locals catching a quickie ride to shorten a walk. I passed most stuff at least 3 times! It was one fine & amusing day.

The only fairly long walk I took was from hotel to Dam Square.

Archived