Amsterdam Itinerary

We will be in Amsterdam in August from 8 am until 6 pm. We would like to visit the Anne Frank House, the flower market, the Dam (and nearby sites), take a canal boat tour, have lunch, do a little shopping and possibly take a look at the Red Light District. Though we would love to visit the museums I'm not sure we have the time to do them justice.

It appears that we can take a tram from the cruise terminal then another to the Anne Frank House. We can then take 13,14,or 17 to the Dam. It seems that we could see most everything else on foot.

I would like any opinions on any/all of the following:

1) Is it feasibility to see all we hope to?

2) Should we purchase the 24hr. tram pass or single tram tickets? - I think all of our desired sites are within one zone. Perhaps we only need tram tickets to get to the Anne Frank House????

3) Is there a place near the Dam to take a canal boat tour (not HOHO)?

4) Is there a better order in which to do all of this?

5) Is trying to fit in one of the museums unrealistic?

5) What am I leaving out that we should consider?

Thank you so much for any help you may be able to offer.

If you plan on going into the Anne Frank Museum - it is a good idea to buy your tickets online as the line outside is very long. If you wait and buy your tickets there - expect to wait up to 45 minutes or more in line. A reservation (online ticket) will allow you to bypass this line and enter through a separate entrance. http://www.annefrank.org/content.asp?pid=1&lid=2

A canal boat is a good way to get around Amsterdam as I did that last time. http://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Amsterdam-Canal-Bus-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Day-Pass/d525-2544CANAL01

If you are not interested in the HOHO canal cruise - then this canal ride is better http://www.viator.com/tours/Amsterdam/Highlights-of-Amsterdam-Sightseeing-Cruise/d525-2544HIR02

The Van Gogh Museum and the Rembrandt (which is closed due to renovations I think) are far from the Dam Square. The Dam Square is a short walk from the Central Station. The Red Light District is also within short walking distance from both the Dam Square and the Central Station. You can also do your shopping here along the Damrak (mostly touristy and a few coffeeshops (not starbucks type coffeeshops)). If you are looking for an American type coffeeshop - look for the Cafes.

Another way to get around Amsterdam would be to rent a bike for a few hours. I would recommend Mike's Bike Tours @ http://www.mikesbikeamsterdam.com/Default.aspx?tabid=26 as they are only 5 Euros for 4 hours. It's the cheapest I've found in Amsterdam. If you want to do a tour then it will be more.

If I were you...I would do the Anne Frank Museum first and then plan the rest of your day as you wish.

Hope this helps. I will be returning to Amsterdam in little over 3 weeks and if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help out.

Yes next to the terminal is tramnr 25,or opposite the terminal tramnr 26, take them to Centraal Station and change to 13 or 17, get off at Westermarkt, walk for a few minutes to Ann Frank.

Best is to make a on-line reservations, lines can be long. For people holding reservations there is a separate entrance, so you donot have to wait.

From opposite Centraal Station as well as from Damrak various canalboatrides are offered, e.g. Reederij Kooy, Holland International, Lover and others. Those toars last in general about 1 hour.

From Ann Frank to Dam is about 15/20 minutes walk, the RLD is just behind Dam, o.a. on Oude Zijds Achterburgwal.

You can buy either single rides, or a strippenkaart of 15. Inside the central zone you need to stamp 2 strips each per person,. It can be used for mutiple persons.

To make things clear. Although renovations are going on in RIJKSmuseum(not Remrabndt!), a special section is open where most major paintings and articles are shown.

Thank you for the help. I do have what may seem a very silly question, but I live in an area without much public transportation. I am a bit unfamiliar with the reading of the timetable.

On the ##13 or #17 line I see the stop for Westermarkt on the route, but I do not see it listed on the timetable itself. Could someone please explain how that works?

Thank you once again.

Thank you for the help. I do have what may seem a very silly question, but I live in an area without much public transportation. I am a bit unfamiliar with the reading of the timetable.

On the ##13 or #17 line I see the stop for Westermarkt on the route, but I do not see it listed on the timetable itself. Could someone please explain how that works?

Thank you once again.

All stops are announced inside the tram, it is the 3rd stop after Centraal Station I think. You will see public transport is easy and frequent.

When crossing streets in Amsterdam, watch out for those trams. They travel often very fast, cannot stop that easy, have to stay on track. Accidents do happen if people cross without noticing the trams.

Ine, do you know when the renovations to the Rijksmuseum will be completed? I keep reading Summer 08. We will be in town mid-July and am wondering if it will be all open? Thanks!

Unfortunately it is postponed for SOME MORE YEARS......

But a special section is open in which many major paintings and articles are brougth together.

Archived