Noordam - beer on board

PandCAV

Hi all,

My wife and I are from UK, taking only our second cruise, sailing on the Noordam Sept 24.

Our first cruise was last year on a British based ship which catered for largly British guests.

I like beer, but I'm not a lover of the bottled variety.

My question is: Do they serve draught beer on the Noordam?

Many thanks

Peter

I haven't been on the Noordam but I've been on other Vista Class ships and they do not serve draught beer. They have a small selection of bottled beers. Nothing exciting.

There have been several threads in the last year or so regarding the limited and not particularly good selection of beers on HAL ships. It is really unfortunate, given the growing availability and popularity of gourmet quality microbrews in the US, which is where most of HAL's passengers originate.

The irony is that even though HAL's wine list is much more extensive and better quality, they let you bring your own wine on board, but not beer. There was one poster on a recent thread who said that the beer policy had changed, and he was told he could bring beer on board, but the policy as stated on HAL's website still says wine and champagne only, no beer or hard liquor. The website has been known to be out-of-date before, however. You might try calling HAL - but they've been known to give inaccurate answers on the phone, so I'm not sure that's a solution either. I recommend saying something about it on your comment card if you're displeased. Those do get read, apparently.

There are many other aspects of a HAL cruise that are really excellent, however, so please try to overlook this failing and enjoy your cruise!

Last year on the Noordam (Alaska cruise) the only draught beer they had was for a portion of the cruise they loaded on some kegs of an Alaskan microbrew, but that was it and it was only for a limited time.

Prior posts have indicated the quality of beer. I have been on other cruise lines and they are about the same.

My SIL and DD were in England 5 years and each time they came home, they mentioned how much better the beer was there. :)

BW & I like to try the local beer in the ports we visit. They range all the way, but have a taste of adventure.

Sorry you're spoiled, just wishing I was.:p

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

If HAL are serious about a European market then I feel they must address this issue.

Hear, hear! And it wouldn't hurt for the US market either - believe me - at least SOME of us Yanks have long since outgrown the swill :eek: that used to pass for beer around here. Over the last 15 years or so there has been an enormous growth in the microbrewery industry in this country, and we now have some very good beers available - NONE of which are carried on HAL ships, with perhaps some exceptions in Alaska.:mad:

Hi there!

Hubby and I are traveling from Chicago and will join you on this cruise. Husband also likes his beer! So good queation. Did you sign on the roll call? Hoping we can get a group of us to share tours and transport back to Rome. Do you have your hotels pre and post cruises? We are close to making a decision. The euro has made things significantly higher than when we traveled two yrs. ago. We have a return fllight 10/5 at 6:40 am. Stressing out about getting a taxi there in time or should just spend the night at FCO. Don't even know if airport is open all night.

The cruise is the easy part!! We'll be looking for you on Roll Call.

Archived