Excursions???

Cards5440

We are sailing the Conquest 2/13/05, providing all attractions are up and running at that time, we were wondering if we should book the excursion Carnival offers for Sting Ray City and Turtle Farm. Are there better private companies that offer the same tour? Thank you for any responses!

Actually, a taxi would be a way less expensive way to see the turtle farm. You do need a boat to go to Stingray City. The majority seen to agree, a private tour to Stingray City is the better way to go. They are usually less expensive and not as crowded.

Are your really sure you want to go to the turtle farm? While some people seem to enjoy going there, I have read that others were very disappointed. After all, it is a farm . They raise turtles there for the meat as well as to release them.

It's our first cruise, and even after doing a lot of research about private tours and cabs, etc... car rentals, we decided to just book with the ship's tours..... if only for peace of mind about getting back to the ship on time........

If it's a cattle call, so be it.......... for first time cruisers, I think we'll be Ok getting herded around, we'll see the high points, and maybe for our NEXT cruise we'll be more adventurous with ports....

No hassles and no thinking won out for me.........and yes, I'm paying a few more bucks.... so be it......:o ....I will post the results... we cruise November 28/04, in theory Grand Cayman will be open then....

For the first time cruiser, especially in a port where you tender (like Grand Cayman, Belize (for now), etc.), I think you are better off just going with one of the ship's tours. I wouldn't so much worry about missing the ship as missing the tour.

Obviously Carnival prefers to make money off of shore excursions and will make sure (if you show up on time) that you will be on a tender in time to make the excursion. Carnival will give priority to the passengers that book through them.

If you book an excusion on your own, you sometimes have to be sneaky about getting in a tender.

I did the Cockatoo Sail to the sandbar once and didn't think it was too much of a cattle wagon. It should be offered on the Conquest, but may not be advertised as much, since it holds fewer people than the real cattle wagons.

The turtle farm is fine - no turtles lost. The Sting Ray sandbar is larger and at least some of the rays have returned. I'm sure as more free food returns more rays will.

• 2 weeks later...

Just read on a Cayman website that there are now public buses that go to the turtle farm and are cheaper than taking a taxi. Seems like there were over 30 buses that depart every 15 minutes. Of course not all of these will stop at the turtle farm. The bus terminal is located adjacent from the Public Library on Edward Street. Route 2, lime green route, is the one that stops at the turtle farm.

Ginger

Archived