Online Photo Journal for our 6/7 POA cruise and pre-cruise stay on Oahu

CabinForFour

I have posted photos and a few short videos from our recent cruise aboard the POA at http://cabinforfour.site.shutterfly.com . It's pretty lengthy with tons of photos. Feel free to take a peek at whatever you wish. The narrative within the journal is pretty lengthy, but I'd be happy to answer any questions you wish to post.

It was an absolutely magical experience. I feel homesick for Hawaii every day since we returned, and I envy those of you who have trips planned in the future. :) We'll definitely be returning. Hope you enjoy!

Cabin, Thanks so much for the great photo journal. I think I enjoyed your pictures as much as the many that I've reviewed.

I have a question for you regarding Sea Life Park. Which adventure did you and your family take? Was it worth the money? We will have a 2 1/2 year old with us - I noticed you have a young daughter I could not tell her age, but just wondering if you think our granddaughter will have a good time.

This trying to balance adult and youth activities get tough!

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you may have to offer.

Cabin, Thanks so much for the great photo journal. I think I enjoyed your pictures as much as the many that I've reviewed.

I have a question for you regarding Sea Life Park. Which adventure did you and your family take? Was it worth the money? We will have a 2 1/2 year old with us - I noticed you have a young daughter I could not tell her age, but just wondering if you think our granddaughter will have a good time.

This trying to balance adult and youth activities get tough!

Thanks, in advance, for any advice you may have to offer.

We participated in the one called Dolphin Encounter (the $99 one), which we booked online prior to the trip. It was good. Our guide wasn't quite as entertaining as the one in the other group going on at the same time, but she was good. The kids really enjoyed it. DD is 5 1/2, and she loved it.

We did the Dolphin Encounter at Blue Lagoon Island in 2003 when DS was 4 and DD was 14 months. The dolphin came out splashing, and she freaked. My mother ended up leaving the encounter with her. When we returned home, we were playing the DVD of the encounter and she heard the dolphin "chirp" and started screaming again. My DD is no wilting violet, so it was quite a surprise for her to react that way.

For your 2 1/2 year old, I guess it would really depend on whether the adults in the group want to do it or whether you'd be doing it mostly for her experience. Our DD could barely touch the bottom of the pool because the life jacket kept floating her to the surface, so your little one would most certainly have to be held throughout the encounter. If you're doing the encounter primarily for her, I doubt it would be worth the money for everyone to participate. If you're interested in it primarily for your own enjoyment, then the extra $99 for the little one to join you would probably be worth it. Also, you might check out the Dolphin Aloha, as it is a little cheaper and you stay dry.

I hope that helps! If not, just let me know!

Mahalo everyone for the comments both here and on the journal. :)

Do you think it was necessary to get your tickets in advance? Everyone seems to want to do this, but just in case we get there and something else appeals more they may change their mind. If you can walk up and participate in the adventure you choose, then I may wait until we get there but if I need to book in advance, I will.

Thanks again for your help.

By the way I understand about "not being a shrinking violet." Our Hannah is all out most of the time until she drops to sleep!

Do you think it was necessary to get your tickets in advance? Everyone seems to want to do this, but just in case we get there and something else appeals more they may change their mind. If you can walk up and participate in the adventure you choose, then I may wait until we get there but if I need to book in advance, I will.

I'm not sure of the correct answer for this. I do know that our 2:30 time slot consisted of two groups, each having approximately 16-20 people (just a guesstimate, I didn't really count). Since each group appeared to fully fill the available area in the pool, I can only assume that both groups were at or near full capacity. That being said, I have no way of knowing how many of those participating had registered online vs. same day. I'm sure a small group would have better odds of same-day availability than a larger group. There were 12 people in our group, so we knew that we probably needed advance reservations. Maybe emailing Sea Life Park could offer some better advice? Sorry! Have a wonderful trip!

Exceptional posting. Thank you for sharing it. I spent a great deal of time looking at the Diamond Head pictures. I've read so many post where folks tell you it's a great view, and then they mostly comment on the effort involved in getting to the top. But those pictures are so great. I can't believe I didn't even give this like a second thought when I visited Hawaii so many years ago. This is one of the top excursions on my list for this trip.

Thank you again.

Exceptional posting. Thank you for sharing it. I spent a great deal of time looking at the Diamond Head pictures. I've read so many post where folks tell you it's a great view, and then they mostly comment on the effort involved in getting to the top. But those pictures are so great. I can't believe I didn't even give this like a second thought when I visited Hawaii so many years ago. This is one of the top excursions on my list for this trip.

Thank you again.

Definitely do Diamond Head. Heck, my 70-year-old parents did it and reached the top only 5 minutes after we did (and Mom has asthma--she did carry her inhaler and use it a time or two). I really didn't think it was that bad if you have any reasonable level of fitness (i.e., at least get up off the couch to walk to the frig and bathroom from time to time...LOL). OK, maybe you need to be a little more fit than that, but it was very manageable if you just go at your own pace. We almost canceled our climb because of traffic issues related to the parade, but I'm so glad we didn't. Have a great cruise!

Did you use the entertainment book discount for your stay? If so, can you provide details on the discount (ie. can you book 1 year in advance?)

Also how would you rate the hula show at the park next door? Is it at a set time every night?

Thanks in advance!:D

Did you use the entertainment book discount for your stay? If so, can you provide details on the discount (ie. can you book 1 year in advance?)

Also how would you rate the hula show at the park next door? Is it at a set time every night?

Thanks in advance!:D

Sorry, we didn't use the discount book, so I can't comment on that.

The free hula show across the street was good. I believe it is at 6:30 every evening. I wouldn't cancel another activity that was important to you in order to attend, but it would be a good way to spend a half hour or so at the end of a busy day since it was so close to our hotel. It finishes around sunset, so it's a nice atmosphere. It was simple but good. HTH.

Fantastic! We are booked for the Circle too. Any regrets with the hotel?

We are on the same deck as you-Do you remember the sq. footage of your balcony so I can compare/maybe move ? How was deck 8 for convenience and all your stuff was stored adequately in your cabin?

About Luau, many say it's the whole ship there, but you enjoyed it. What was your 2nd choice luau?

Great stuff thanks again!

Archived