Homer - Bear Viewing

TeeBuccs

Ok, I've been doing some reading on bear viewing excursions while planning my Aug. '09 return (and first trip to Homer area)! DH and I did a float plane trip last time out of Juneau to Anan/Pack Creek and loved it. Want to do more this time during our post-cruise trip. Can anyone help me with personal knowledge about any of the following companies? They all seem to offer similiar experiences and costs, so hard to know which are likely to be a better fit.

• Hallo Bay
  • Mountain Air
  • Homer Air Service
  • Emerald Air

Ideally seeking a good amount of time on the ground - tracking, viewing and photographing these magnificient creatures. All advice and experiences are welcomed.

Thanks!!!

Ok, I've been doing some reading on bear viewing excursions while planning my Aug. '09 return (and first trip to Homer area)! DH and I did a float plane trip last time out of Juneau to Anan/Pack Creek and loved it. Want to do more this time during our post-cruise trip. Can anyone help me with personal knowledge about any of the following companies? They all seem to offer similiar experiences and costs, so hard to know which are likely to be a better fit.

• Hallo Bay
  • Mountain Air
  • Homer Air Service
  • Emerald Air

Ideally seeking a good amount of time on the ground - tracking, viewing and photographing these magnificient creatures. All advice and experiences are welcomed.

Thanks!!!

I have been to Hallo Bay quite a few times. It will always be my recommendation. They have private land in the middle of the Katmai (which is a national forest/park). Because they live there every day, they know EXACTLY where the bears are and what they are doing. IF you have the time and it fits in the budget, the overnight trips are really special.

I went a few years ago with Emerald Air. We spent more time flying around LOOKING FOR the bears than actually LOOKING AT the bears.

Homer Air Service is the airline (yes they run scheduled service) that Hallo Bay uses. Andy, the chief pilot, put together bear tours quite a few years ago BEFORE Hallo Bay got to be the premier bear viewing experience out of Homer. The price is the same and you will go to the same place UNLESS you request someplace else.

I have never taken Bald Mountain Air, after the very poor experience with Emerald Air. I just feel that if you don't have on the ground contact daily, the pilot just has to keep flying until he finds the bears. Could be a very disappointing experience.

Book your trip as late in August as possible. The bears start "power feeding" to get ready for winter once the silver salmon come in (usually the second week in August). Last week in August/first week in September GUARANTEES lots of bears standing all day long in the ocean right offshore, just gulping fish. Enjoy!!!!

I have been to Hallo Bay quite a few times. It will always be my recommendation. They have private land in the middle of the Katmai (which is a national forest/park). Because they live there every day, they know EXACTLY where the bears are and what they are doing. IF you have the time and it fits in the budget, the overnight trips are really special.

I second this. We stayed four days and it was one of the most unbelievable experiences of my life. We also stayed at HalloBay B&B because of a 2 night minimum for all the other B&Bs and we wanted to fly in late and leave for Hallo Bay the next day. The owners are unbelievable people and the guides are very knowledgeable. Here are some of my nonexpert pictures just to show you the proximity of guests to the bears.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Jmorngstar/AlaskaBearTrip

Janice

Archived