Legend of the Seas review (2nd June Italy and Croatia)

Legend of the Seas June 2nd 2008 13 nights

Getting to the port

We took the Terravision bus to Rome Termini where we lugged our baggage to the platform furthest away!! A local guided us to the correct train where there was a scramble to get on. Upon arriving in civitavecchia, we shared a cab with another couple and were charged 5 Euros each to take us directly to the ship. You can walk 15 mins to get the free shuttle but it’s just not worth the hassle!

Embarkation

Very easy! No lines at 1pm when we boarded and walked straight on and into our cabin. I believe people started to board at 11am (due to set sail at 5pm)

Food

The food was ok, a few things were repeated but a great selection of fish. In one incident there was a very small dead fly on my plate! The maitrade was very apologetic – I thought it was hilarious! No lobster or baked Alaska on the ships now due to cutbacks and no gala buffet! The Windjammer food was poor. No trays mean you have to go back and forth for drinks/cutlery sauces etc. The servers would put the tongs under the hot plates so you couldn’t actually pick any hot food up!

Room service food was hit or miss. When not late, or cold, the food was fantastic (vegetable Panini…mmm!) And the lemonade was a millions times better than the machine by the pool! The ice cream (when stocked) was lovely also although cones were often empty.

Entertainment

This boat is geared up for us Brits, of which half the boat was made up of, which I believe is why 90% of the entertainers came from the UK. I really enjoyed all shows, not the best, but not the worst! Loved the Motown singers and the violinist! Quest as always was a hoot! The big let down was the timing of the shows, in particular the quizzes. As our dinner was 8.30pm, we missed the quizzes every night. Also it took a week for the names and times of the films to be displayed on the TV in the room.

Cabins

We opted for a large interior on deck 6 – RCL have the smallest cabins I’ve seen, in particular the shower! However, we coped and were hardly in the room. Just a few complaints – the drawers are so stiff you need to be hulk Hogan to open them! Also, you can’t hear an announcement in your cabin resulting in us missing the Messina Straights – luckily I set my alarm for the sail into Venice!

Ports of Call

Portofino

A destination we have previously visited, so we had a stroll around, this time going up the steps where the tender docks to enjoy the fabulous views of the stunning harbour.

Livorno (overnight)

As we have been to Florence/Pisa/Lucca etc many times we decided to have a stroll around Livorno and do some shopping. The ship charges $5 each way to drop you off at the town. We picked up some lovely Italian biscuits from the supermarket, and some souvenirs at the market.

SicilyWe opted for the ships ‘on your own’ visit to Taormina. We had around 3 or 4 hours to explore, which was enough time to see everything we wanted. The views from the Greek theatre were fantastic (if you are over 65 or under 25 take ID and you will get a cheaper ticket!). We then went down the cable car and had the beach to ourselves. No swimming as it is very rocky and has small jellyfish. For lunch we stopped off at a charming pizzeria along the main street with stunning views and lemons the size of watermelons! It was one of my favourite days!

Split

We took the ships tour to Krka national park. It’s about 1 hour 15 min drive and you are dropped off at the area with the largest waterfall and given 2 hours to explore. It is truly beautiful. You can swim here if you choose, or walk around one of the trails, or watch the wildlife (we saw frogs, and a snake!) When we got back we had enough time to look around the town and the large market. We stopped to have a cappuccino, a beer, 1 chicken burger and a beef burger which came to £6!! (The chicken burger was a WHOLE grilled chicken breast in a HUGE roll!) I was truly surprised by this town and we are planning on going back to explore the surrounding islands.

Venice (overnight)

My favourite! We docked over night, RCL charge $40 each for a 2 day shuttle pass that takes you into St Marks square. We wanted to do everything in one day so opted for the $10 each way ticket. However you can get a vaperetto from the station which is around a 15 minute walk away and use this for all journeys including up the Grand Canal. Venice is easily accessible without a tour. We got into St Marks at around 10am before most tourists so we got to enjoy the Basilica and the bell tower minus crowds. We then took a Vaperetto (6.50 Euro each way) to Rialto and walked slowly back to St Marks over the course of the day. We stopped off for lunch near Rialto (where most of the shops are) and ate a lovely gnocchi pasta with pesto and a glass of wine for 10 Euros each – it was lovely! And had ice cream walking along the many bridges! We met our table mates at 5pm to share a gondola. For 6 of us it cost 120 Euros, for 2 it’s 80 Euros. We opted for the short tour around the back canals which was incredibly relaxing. The Grand Canal is very busy and more expensive to sail down. We had planned to go to Murano but it was so hot and tiring from seeing all that we could on the main island that we are planning on going back for a weekend!

Musts – Gondola ride, The Basilica, strolling around the back streets of the main Square and just enjoying Venice!

Dubrovnik

The heavens opened for our visit here. The ship charged $5 each way to the walls which offers lovely views of the town. Most places take Euros although I would advise exchanging some Kuna’s. Not much shelter if it rains unfortunately!

Naples

We hopped over to Capri on the Hydrofoil. The ticket office is about 100 metres to the left as you get off the ship. We got the ferry at 8.35am and were there by 9.15am. I had hoped to go to the blue grotto, Capri town and Ana Capri but was concerned at finding time to do it all. We opted for Ana Capri and Capri town (Luckily we heard rumours that the blue grotto was closed due to bad weather so I made the right decision!) We took the funicular (runs every 15 mins) to Capri town first, had a wander and took the bus to Ana Capri (10 mins). Queues were large even at this time in the morning. Arriving in Ana Capri we wandered around town, stopped for a drink and working up the courage to go on the chairlift (no one mentioned it was a single seat and an unsecure bar!) I was petrified but the views on Mount Solero were fantastic! We paused again, gaining more courage to go back down and went back for lunch in the same place we had coffee. The set lunch was 10 Euros each and consisted of wine, a mozzarella salad with tomatoes and basil, and then gnocchi pasta. It was the best meal I had!! I loved the salad! And it was so pleasant to people watch! We queued again to get the bus back straight to the marina and were back on the ship with 1 hour to spare.

Disembark

We docked an hour late due to bad weather. Luckily our flight was in the evening. We had the latest colours to get off and were still off by 8.45am. There were 6 cruise ships in and I have never seen such chaos! No cab would take us to the station so we had to walk. We arrived to find 1 hour queues for the train! Trying to avoid the mayhem, we hunted down a cab to take us and 5 others to the airport (140 Euros) the driver initially agreed but then said he was busy and drove off! We ended up getting the train to Rome (the stop before Rome Termini) and then other train to the airport.

Summary

Whilst not the best cruise I’ve ever been on, every cruise has its merits and for me it was the ports of call. In my opinion, the ship is showing its age and the multitude of activities that the newer ships offer puts RCL’s older ships in the shade. The elevators were always broken, smoking was allowed in the public areas (I would have thought twice about booking had I knew). I was also disappointed with the lack of gala buffet and lobster – little things that make the food on a cruise! Service as always at dinner was outstanding, and as platinum members the welcome back cocktails are always a lovely touch. Whilst I will not be coming back to Legend, I will come back to RCL for the great service and the wow factor of the new ships – as long as the itinery is as good as it was this cruise!

Feel free to ask me any questions!

Kelly :)

Great review:) .

We did this exact same trip last November on Legend but finished in Barcelona, last cruise before the Transatlantic. We didn't get to Split due to rough seas but, fingers crossed , will be there on Splendour in 3 weeks time:) .

Hi - I can ask a question about the trains. When we dock in October, there`s 5 or 6 ships in..:eek: and we`re also taking the train, but in the other direction, to Monaco. The line up to get into Rome, was that in a certain area so as not to effect the other trains, or was that just a mass line up to get into the station.

Tx

Hi Kelly - great review.

We where on the same cruise!!! also with a cabin on deck 6!!

It was so true what you said about the Windjammer cafe..Horrible food and service!!

I didnt know we arrived 1 hour late to Chivitavecchia. I just hope 2 of our friends that was due to leave the ship at 530am for a very early flight to Paris managed!!

We also disembarked at 845am...and the mayhem at the train station...Never ever again!!!!!!! we waited also 1 hour in line for the tickets and then where told they only had 1. class tickets on the "euro star" train for Euros 34!!! - We did and they had overbooked the train so no space for luggage and hardly no seats...We had to keep our luggage in the ails...That was fun when the catering trolly came!!! Never will I do train when there is so many ships in!!

I dont think we will do the Legend again either..The Vision class is just too small and there is no "wow" factor. The furniture, carpets where very worn and torn!!...

We did however book Brilliance ots for this november 3 days afterwe came back from Rome!!! Am looking forward to that cruise...

Answer to "cruise Junky" - It was one long and angry line..

Hi Lars,

I think our table mates are your friends!! Alex and Kay? You may have heard about my other halfs choking incident!

We were very lucky to make the 10.06 train - I queued whilst my fiance dragged the cases to the platform - a genius plan that saved time and money! But then we got off at the wrong Rome station (I wasn't paying attention!) but luckily the train went straight there so we avoided the Terravision bus. We still had to wait 6 hours and our flight was delayed so it made no difference!!

Like yourself I will do some research on ships in port before I do that again!!!

Cruise Junky - I strongly advise getting there early even if you do have your tickets, just to queue on the platform to get on and get a seat!

Cruise Junky - I strongly advise getting there early even if you do have your tickets, just to queue on the platform to get on and get a seat!

We will thanks, we'll have reserved seats (it's a 9 hour train ride) but i just don't want to fight the horders.

Tx

Hi Lars,

I think our table mates are your friends!! Alex and Kay? You may have heard about my other halfs choking incident!

We were very lucky to make the 10.06 train - I queued whilst my fiance dragged the cases to the platform - a genius plan that saved time and money! But then we got off at the wrong Rome station (I wasn't paying attention!) but luckily the train went straight there so we avoided the Terravision bus. We still had to wait 6 hours and our flight was delayed so it made no difference!!

Like yourself I will do some research on ships in port before I do that again!!!

"WOW - yes ofcourse I know Alex and Kay!! they both are wonderful people. We had a good time with them touring etc....I did hear about your little incident. Its a small world or ship isnt it!! LOL

I am just wondering who you are. I think you were with the future cruise planner before us??!! You were talking about booking b2b caibbean cruise next year??? Oh I dont listen to peoples conversations, It was just a very small room...lol

You know what I said about not going back to the Legend, but maybe I would after they have refurbished her.....ehich isnt due before january 2010!!

But all in all we had a fantastic cruise and loved every minute of it!!!!

:) Yes that's us!! How funny! It will be our honeymoon cruise, so exciting! Still yet to book! Did you end up booking yours?

What have they got planned for Legend? I was on Celebrity Century after that refurb and loved the ship - the spa and spa cafe is amazing!

Kelly :D

:) Yes that's us!! How funny! It will be our honeymoon cruise, so exciting! Still yet to book! Did you end up booking yours?

What have they got planned for Legend? I was on Celebrity Century after that refurb and loved the ship - the spa and spa cafe is amazing!

Kelly :D

:) :) !! Congratulations on your wedding and honeymoon!!! We will get married in November this year and cruise on the Brilliance OTS right afterwards. Its almost the same cruise as we did now but sailing from Bacelona stopping in Cannes, Livorno, Rome, Naples, Venice (overnight), Split and Tunis. We love Italy so we are looking forward to go back!! It will be a bit more relaxed this time mind.

I am not sure what they plan to do with The Legend but I guess they will upgrade all the interior!! It needs it!!!! this is just speculations but maybe they plan sto strech it like they did with the Enchantment OTS??!! No idea..LOL

Funny, but we were thinking about doing the Century this November but decided to do a Baltic or Norwegian fjords cruise on her instead!!!

Who do you book with?? Do you use a UK travel agent or an American. For the Brilliance cruise we used *****.com and their prices are really good!!!!!

Lars

Livorno (overnight) The ship charges $5 each way to drop you off at the town.
Wow, I'm always amazed by what different cruise lines charge for the same service. $5 each way or $10 return... we were only charged €1 (i.e. $1.50) for the same service!

We were in Livorno on the exact same day but with a different ship; we saw Legend of the Seas sail past us when she left the port.

Archived