floridians i want to move there please help

hi everyone

i know that this has nothing to do with cruises, or maybe it does (closer to ports). i am interested in moving from Freezing Rhode Island to warm sunny Florida. i just have no clue where is a good place to live down there. i have only been to miami and orlando. i have a 6 year old son, i want a good school system. me and my fiancee are in our mid 20's do you have any suggestions for me?

thank you

audra

wedding cruise Mariner of the seas nov 28,04

Majesty may 03

voyager jan 01

nordic empress jan 99

Audra,

I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida, 30 minutes from the Port of Tampa icon_wink.gif, 5 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico. I never appreciated where I grew up until I spent a week in New England (and of course discovered cruising icon_cool.gif) with gray dreary skies. I couldn't believe how the sun didn't shine once for 7 days. Believe me I love NE, as my family is from CT, and going back for visits is wonderful, but for living a full, active, year-round life? Florida is the place!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;4;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the girls sail on the Sovereign!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;7;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Till the Brilliance!

R1 7/2000

Sensation 5/2001

Imagination 8/2002

Veendam 3/2003

Sovereign 4/2004

Brilliance 7/2005

West Broward County has a lot of new developments and good schools. Cities like Weston and Pembroke Pines are your best bets.

West Palm Beach is really growing. The city of Wellington is a really nice area and is pretty much all brand new. Its going to be the next Boca Raton if your familiar with that area.

These would be ideal locations to raise your family. Good luck!!

Rick

Norwegian Sea 8/94

Ecstasy 8/96

Nordic Empress 6/97

Imagination 8/98

Carnival Destiny 8/00

Carnival Triumph 7/01

Voyager of the Seas 3/04

Navigator of the Seas 08/07/2004....

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;8;7;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Seconds Please on the Voyager of the Seas!!!! 02/26/2005

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=FFA000&cdt=2005;2;26;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

If you want a smaller town environment, Osceola County is a nice area. 45 minutes from the east coach beaches. 1 hour from Port Canaveral. St Cloud is a nice quaint town. 30 minutes from Disney, Universal and SeaWorld. Good schools.

DeeKDRoseTransp.gifabducted.gif

Email: Deanna34769@wmconnect.com

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=00ff00&cdt=2004;11;14;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until our Martian Yatch Club Adventure

RCCL Adventure of the Seas 11/14/04

RCCL Voyager of the Seas 10/26/03

Carnival Pride 11/9/02

Premier Cruise Lines (5 sailings)

My wife and I just bought a house in sunny Orlando. We have not moved yet, plan to do that very shortly and boy is the wait killing us.

<p style="font-family:lucida calligraphy;font-size:110%;color:black">Felix K. ~~ fk89@yahoo.com</p><p style="font-family: palatino linotype;font-size:120%;color:black"> Carnival Inspiration 8/97

Carnival Fascination 11/22/98, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean

Sea Princess 11/20/99, Thanksgiving ~~ W. Caribbean

Dawn Princess 11/19/00, Thanksgiving ~~ E. Caribbean

Adventure Of The Seas 11/17/01, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean

Radiance Of The Seas 6/15/02 ~~ Alaska

Radiance Of The Seas 11/23/02, Thanksgiving ~~ S. Caribbean

Monarch Of The Seas 5/8/03 ~~ W. Caribbean

Grand Princess 11/23/03, Thanksgiving ~~ W. Caribbean

Star Princess 11/28/04, ~~ E. Caribbean

Regarding northwestern Broward county, Parkland and Coconut Creek are excellent areas. Very close to the turnpike and I95. They have excellent new schools. They are clean and well kept. Not overcrowded or congested. They are both close to Boca Raton, so you have great dining and shopping. They are fairly close to Ft. Lauderdale, so you can have a fun night life. They are about 20 minutes from the beach.

Coral Springs is nice too, but you have to be more careful with what area you select because some schools are just ok while others are very good.

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I live in the Clearwater/Tampa Bay area. There are a lot of good school systems down here, particularly in the Seminole area near St. Pete. They have a wonderful Elementary School, Bauder Elem. (always receives an A grade)I love this area. Really close to the beaches, but not too over populated like Orlando and Miami can be. Although I love both cities! icon_smile.gif

I live in Lake Worth, which is between West Palm and Boca Raton.... I am 28 and I love it here. I don't have kids yet, but I do know schools in Florida are NOT up to par in comparison to their northern counterparts. But things can only get better. I do have a friend that moved to Parkland, FL from NY because they are said to have the best schools of south Florida...

Nevertheless, I live 10 minutes from the beach in a very nice, safe and FAMILY-oriented gated community with a great heated pool, golf course etc.

Real estate is rising constantly though, so if you're serious, COME NOW. Our house has gone up in value immensely since we bought it last January. But there are still great deals to be had I think.

Tampa/St. Pete! DH and I are moving there within the month. I just got off a phone interview for a job down in Oldsmar.

*fingers and toes crossed*

Imagination 1/2005

Explorer of the Seas 9/2004

Fascination 1/2004

Carnivale 9/1985

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;09;19;5;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until we explore on EXPLORER OF THE SEAS

Brevard County is my vote!!! Of course i guess I am partial to it since I grew up here!! Actually they are considered one of the best educationally highest test scores etc... Most number of A schools etc... Great place for kids Hey thats why I moved back wanted to raise my kids in this arrea. Although there are some great homes being built in he surrounding areas of Orlando....

thank you everyone for your contributions, i will do somemore research tonight

thanks

audra

wedding cruise Mariner of the seas nov 28,04

Majesty may 03

voyager jan 01

nordic empress jan 99

I think you should chase the best school district, East Coast: Palm Beach County, Orlando Area: Seminole County. We move quite often and find this is what works best for us. Best schools, best people, best neighborhoods, etc... We live in the Orlando Area and are very happy hear, used to live in Fort Myers- nice, near the beach, but not too sure about schools. Also lived in Boca Raton- great place, near beach, good schools, a little pricey but worth it. Now we're about 40 min from the beach and always can find something to do in Orlando. Check out www.homefair.com and you'll find a multitude of information on neighborhoods, schools, etc..

Oh! and maybe even better than those reasons, no state income tax! Good luck!

We live in a beachside community(Indialantic) about 20 miles south of Port Canaveral(Brevard County). It is a nice place to raise kids-very small town community, the schools are good. The only drawback I see is the housing costs have been skyrocketing the last few years. The house we purchased last year has increased in value over 162%(yes that number is correct)! Melbourne which is right across the causeway is more affordable and housing there is a great investment right now. Brevard county is rated the 6th hottest real estate market in the country according to Money magazine.

Premiere Oceanic 06/96

Sun Princess 11/97

Enchantment Of The Seas 07/98

Sovereign Of The Seas 10/99

Carnival Fantasy 07/00

Sea Princess 10/00

Norway 04/01

Enchantment Of The Seas 10/01

Grand Princess 04/02

Carnival Victory 09/02

Carnival Pride 05/03

NCL Sun 10/03

Carnival Fantasy 05/04

Mariner of the Seas 09/04

Splendour of the Seas 02/05

awdl...I'm with you...freezing in Massachusetts...I posted a similar thread a couple months ago...we are definately moving in 5 years...no ifs, ands, or buts. We have to wait on my husband's retirement. I've been to quite a few places in Florida...and what I've found...is the whole state is really nice in its own way...as you will see...no matter where people are from...they love where they live in Florida...and if they don't..well then they need to get out...and make some room for us!!! Good luck on your upcoming move!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

until my Majesty of the Seas cruise!

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

I agree with the above post for the Melbourne area, we have been vacationing there for the past 5 years and hope to retire to Indialantic.

One question, how do you plan to support yourself? While your considering areas with good schools it's all a moot point if you can't find a job. You might try to zero in on areas that are ripe for your skill level. Keep in mind it's a large service industry and service industries are low paying for the majority of the jobs unless you are up the corporate ladder or have a special skill.

I'd stay away from the south side with a young child, too tempting and I think Orlando is too congested and commercial. The center part of the upper state has lovely developments. Don't discount them simply because they don't get their share of publicity and of late, listed as the top beach in the US, check out the Fl Panhandle. Very family oriented and calmer warmer waters,.. but buggier.

Good luck. You've lots to consider!

tinsel57

my parents live in lake wales, which is central florida right between orlando and tampa.... its charming. small. close knit. and still affordable!

i just can't imagine moving here and not living by the beach.... i can never move away from the ocean after living here in s. florida since '94.

I too am looking towards Florida. I'm interested in the Sarasota area. Any info on this area?

Thank you

Carnival Imagination 4/2002

RCCL Brilliance 11/2002

Grand Princess 6/2003

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;10;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until RCCL Jewel of the Seas out of Boston!!!!

me again... ON SARASOTA... my brother went to college at ringling school of the arts so i've been there quite a bit... its a neat place, very good restaurants, nice beaches that aren't over populated, a great downtown shopping type area, good museums, the Ca d'zan... gosh is that incredible... its nice. and its so close to so many other great towns and cities... an older population for the most part-

2000 Sarasota was listed as the #1 place to live and work. It's a mixture of a 'real' city, not just tourist area. Nice place if the gulf side is your thing. Acess is not bad through Tampa. I am spoiled by the ATlantic and find it hard not to be anywhere else!

tinsel57

We have lived in Sarasota for the last 15 years. We love it. Both of my kids have attended the public school system and have no complaints. We live only 20 min. from one of the nicest beaches (in my opinion).

Until Mariner Of The Seas

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;7;11;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I currently live in Seminole County, definitely one of the better area's of central FL with regard to growth, job opportunties and schools.

My SO lives in Tampa so I will be relocating to that area in the not too distant future. I love Sarasota and Bradenton areas.

Wherever you end up... I am sure you will love it. (I originally am from Chicago).

My real estate advice, buy the neighborhood. In other words, you are better off to have the smallest house in the big house neighborhood than the largest house in a not so good neighborhood. --

Good Luck

We need a Holiday...

my travel pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/lynnemaynard

dolphincruiser404,

I don't know about the Tampa Bay area, but Palm Beach County is begging for workers in the medical field.

As tinsel57 said, don't discount the Florida panhandle. I have lived in the Ft. Walton Beach and Destin areas. It is more rural and not as developed as the southern part of the state. Pensacola is a nice, small city area. The people in the Panhandle are much friendlier than in other parts of the state. Also, the Panhandle has seasonal changes. Winter is mild, but it does freeze a few times a year.

If you have never seen the beaches in the Panhandle, you won't believe it, especially around Destin. They are called sugar sands because it is very fine grained and pure white, almost like table sugar. This is what it looks like.

R.F.%20sand.jpg

Happy%20Easter%204.gif

9pepper_rabbit.gif

See our reviews and pictures at Mike and Carol's Website

Costa Classica 3/94

Celebrity Mercury 4/98

Carnival Destiny 4/99

Crown Princess 7/01

Norwegian Star 11/01

Grand Princess 12/01

Sun Princess 3/02

Celebrity Constellation 11/02

Brilliance of the Seas 6/03

Navigator of the Seas 11/03

Jewel of the Seas 06/04

Tahitian Princess 02/05

Unlike most northern states, Florida's school zones are done by county. You can live in one end of the county and wake up one August to discover that your kids are bussed to the other end. I would recommend renting first. Our summers are quite severe. We moved to Florida about 30 years ago. I am happy here. This is my home now. But I have seen many move here and wish they could move back north - including members of my own family.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

My husband is a minister and we have lived all over the state of FL. I will say that I absoulety hate South Florida. I live in Boca Raton, and never have I seen so many rude people. The pace in South Florida is just terrible. I can't wait till we move from this area. Go ahead and flame me but its just what I think. I agree with the poster who talked about central FL. St. Cloud is a wonderful, small town feeling place, I also would tell you to look at Brevard County. It has a good school system and the beaches are quite nice. OUr favorite area was around Jacksonville, Orange Park to be specific. It's a bedroom community of Jacksonville. Also has Clay county has a good school system and there are several smaller communities around. Just know that Florida is growing and I don't think there will be many small places left.

Archived