floridians i want to move there please help

If you are looking to move on the west coast you might want to check out the Trinity area in West Pasco. It is an easy commute to both St. Pete and Tampa. Your about an 1 hr 20 minutes west of Orlando. I moved every four years growing up and I can tell you all areas have there good sections and the not so hot sections. The only thing that would steer me away from Pinellas County (St.Pete) would be thier school choice. My Father always moved us into an area where depending on the school system, but in Pinellas you could live within a mile of the school and be bused 10 miles away. good luck with your search.

Soveriegn of the Seas 02
Monarch of the Seas 03
Soveriegn of the Seas 03

We are coming down soon too... why wouldn't everyone want to live in paradise. NY stinks... the taxes are way to high, the schools are a joke and I just saw a report that upstate has on average 55 sunny days a year. Talk about the winter blues! Anyway, we have been strongly looking at the Trinity area, it is beautiful, but getting very large. We have narrowed our search to Hernando and Pasco County, so I would appreciate any input on these areas as well!

Grandeur 5/99
Enchantment 10/01
Navigator 11/03
Voyager 11/04

My husband and I are considering becoming snowbirds. He retired early and we still want to work PT. We have young grandchildren here, one I watch while mom works, so moving down permanently would be out of the question. Her Mom will be retiring soon, so we can trade off.

We went down to Orlando this Feb because this winter was so depressing, and was driving to the end of 192 ( our timeshare is in Kissimmee)) and saw some lovely developments that did not seem to pricey. I like the idea of taking a PT job at one of the amusement parks. How expensive is it over there? I have cousins who live in Clearwater and my parents did many years ago, so we are very familiar with the info on that coast. Any suggestions?

My vacation pics[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven"]http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven[/url]
Norwegian Dawn May 23
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

The only advice I can give from past experiences is that if you truly want to move somewhere different YOU have to be the one to do the research. As you see from everyone's different opinions, what one likes, the other hates. YOU have to get in the car and physically spend time in FL to see what you like best..housing, jobs etc. (all vary by county) It's not a decision to make without seeing it and doing it for yourself.

I have relatives all over FL and every place is different and each relative loves where they are even though the others think that their place is better.

When I was 23 I moved in one night from NY to the Jersey Shore but only after spending many summers and vacations here. I knew that this was where I wanted to be. On the plus side, you are young and probably looking for an adventure...go for it but do your research first...

Nordic Empress..*****11/04
Radiance of the Seas****3/04
Serenade of the Seas
Adventure of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Century (Celebrity)
Song of America
Monarch of the Seas

That may be true for the most part, but sometimes there are things that the locals can tell you that others will not. For instance when we bought our home there was an empty school a few blocks away. The RE agent said that they were planning on reopening it soon. So we wrongly assumed our kids could walk to school. What he did not tell us was that the enrollment was going down and that is why it was closed and in the end would never reopen because the population base in this area was aging and not enough children were bring born. The school district is one of the best and the fact my kids took a bus would not have changed our minds, but we ceretainly would have like to have known that fact. No amount of research would have brought that out unless you knew to look for it. I am sure that info was available in the libraries and such, but most people would like a little base info before they even decide on a area.
Renting also is good, but does that mean you have to hop around for a year or so to decide?And typically the people are not around to ask (and many of them will not even open their doors) questions like that.

And yes short stays will tell you things, like you could not pay me to go to Palm Beach, the senior population ther can make you nuts ( my Mom had a condo in Century village and the few times we were staying nearby was way more than enough.) They had the worst condo commandos that ever existed. Made the episodes of Seinfeld seem mild! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]

And many of us asking have been to the area more than once and like what we see and feel, but like a little more input that is all. There is no such thing as too much information before making a decision.

My vacation pics[url="http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven"]http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven[/url]
Norwegian Dawn May 23
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

keeponcruisin...what did you think of Englewood???

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
until my Majesty of the Seas cruise!

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

awdl2000

If you will be continuing your college education you'll probably want to consider the school you'll attend and it's location first and foremost. There are Denny's everywhere... And many other great restaurants all over florida at which he could probably get a management job.

This is a great topic. I'll have to reread all the post again. We are in our 30's so we are aways from retirement. I'm looking for a lot or land instead of a home, to build on later. Thanks for the great suggestions.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take,
but by the moments that take our breath away.

Okay - I have to speak on behalf of South Florida my adopted home. I have lived in South Broward County since 1971 when we moved from Massachusetts and I think this is the very best place on earth to live. Now living in Southwestern Broward, Weston to be specific. This is a great town, can't say great little town anymore since we are officially built out, but still has a hometown feeling, but not way out in the country. Great schools, shopping and restaurants. Near all that Fort Lauderdale has to offer, only an Hour and a half from the West Coast of Florida (Naples) one hour to the Port of Miami and 30 minutes to the Port of Fort Lauderdale. I for one enjoy the cultural diversity of the many different nationalities that call Weston home, I think that is a positive not a negative. Guess its all in your perspective.

- Tinsel57: My nephew starts Full Sail in June! Looks like an awesome program. How did your son like it?

Mary

Majesty 11/92 Sovereign 9/96 Grandeur 8/97 Sovereign 11/97 Enchantment 9/98 Majesty 9/99 Voyager 9/00 Majesty 11/00 Explorer 9/01 Majesty 11/01 Explorer 09/02 Majesty 2/03 Navigator 9/03 Majesty 12/03 Enchantment 5/04 Navigator 9/04

Enchantment 5/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ee3300&cdt=2004;5;05;11;00;00&timezone=gmt-0500[/img]
<marquee direction=left width=33%> [B]Enchantment of the Seas May 6th, 2004[/B] </marquee>

Navigator 9/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ee3300&cdt=2004;9;18;11;00;00&timezone=gmt-0500[/img]
<marquee direction=left width=33%> [B]Navigator of the Seas September 18th, 2004[/B] </marquee>

[B]sgttami -[/B] I saw your post and that you moved/live at the Jersey Shore.

We recently moved [B]from[/B]the Jersey Shore - Somers Point area --- just couldn't take the traffic and the "shoebie's" anymore---- we moved 6 miles up on the top of a mountain ridge in WV. There isn't ANY traffic here !

Just wondered where you moved to in Jersey?

Cheryl and Ray
[B]On a chilly mountain ridge in WV[/B]

Thanksgiving on the Splendour
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2004;11;13;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
<marquee width = 45%> [B]Splendour of the Seas Nov/13/04 ---Zaandam Jan/04---Grandeur of the Seas May/03[/B]</marquee>

Tinsel57 -

No not Miramar, that is a bit too close to Dade County. I'm in Weston. North of Davie/Pembroke Pines and South of Coral Springs on the edge of the Everglades... A beautiful town.

My nephew is going to Full Sail for Sound Engineering. He is a Musician (Guitar Playing/Song Writing/ Dancing) and an Artist. One of his friends is enrolling in the Game Design BS program.

I'd love to hear your comments.

Mary

Majesty 11/92 Sovereign 9/96 Grandeur 8/97 Sovereign 11/97 Enchantment 9/98 Majesty 9/99 Voyager 9/00 Majesty 11/00 Explorer 9/01 Majesty 11/01 Explorer 09/02 Majesty 2/03 Navigator 9/03 Majesty 12/03 Enchantment 5/04 Navigator 9/04

Enchantment 5/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ee3300&cdt=2004;5;05;11;00;00&timezone=gmt-0500[/img]
<marquee direction=left width=33%> [B]Enchantment of the Seas May 6th, 2004[/B] </marquee>

Navigator 9/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ee3300&cdt=2004;9;18;11;00;00&timezone=gmt-0500[/img]
<marquee direction=left width=33%> [B]Navigator of the Seas September 18th, 2004[/B] </marquee>

I know Davie - horse country!

My son completed the recording arts program in 2000. He's currently with a National Broadway Tour, touring the US with OLIVER!

Email me privately, we'll chat. I don't want to tie up the cruise board for others.

[email]MaMa@backstageMaMa.com[/email]

tinsel57

1.6 million in Melbourne?

Is it possible to find anything nice near (blocks) to a beach for less than 700,000?

California is pricing me out of my home state.

Thanks, Floridians, for your kind advice.

Bill & Jane Lynch

Serenade of the Seas - 8/22/2004
Monarch of the Seas - 8/29/2003 - voyage #660
Vision of the Seas - 5/4/2003 - voyage #225
Explorer of the Seas - 7/20/2002
Monarch of the Seas - 10/17/1999

------------------------------

"Ya best start believin' in ghost stories, Miss Turner, yer in one ! "

Something that no one has mentioned yet is that the pay scale in Florida, particularly South Florida, is 20 years behind the rest of the country. The favorite saying of personnel managers all over Florida when interviewing new candidates for employment is, "You'll take a third of your paycheck in sunshine." Actually, it's closer to half compared with pay scales from the northern states. I was a banker in Naples and Ft. Myers for 11 years and made one third of my counterparts in Philadelphia and New York. And the cost of living and housing, especially on the coasts, is quite high compared to the rest of the nation. I can't speak for the rest of the state, but in Naples, there was no middle class. You were either ridiculously wealthy or you worked for them with nothing in between. At least that's the way it was in the '80's while I was there. I retired to Las Vegas in '92 to get away from the humidity, the bugs and the hurricanes and haven't looked back. When I went back for a vacation last year, I remembered what it was like to stand in the shade doing nothing and sweat through your shirt.

Yes, this is paradise for many people and I won't knock it, but you have to make sure you are one of those people. Before you make up your mind to live there permanently, go down for as long as you can afford to do so during the summer months when the heat and humidity is at its worst, it rains every day, the mosquitoes are at their thickest, the fire ant mounds are at their highest, and there is always the impending threat of a tropical storm striking land somewhere in your state. If you can handle all that, then Florida will be your paradise.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until NOS Sailing 10/23/04

Several cruises, but why list them when no one cares?

I am currently seeking employment in Florida or Arizona.

The reason for my response is my outlook on it. I appreciate your opinions. This is not a bashing simply extending this post I am enjoying and looking for more input from others.

For 49 years I've lived in mostlly Wisconsin (the last 7 in northern Illinois). I'll take those humidity problems and all the rest of it for the following reasons.

I'm tired of waiting until mid June to be able to swim in a pool or a lake. I'm tired of days like today when the temperature is 31 degrees when I go outside in the middle of April. I visited Florida last November for a football game and it was 75 and beautifull. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to sit OUTSIDE more than 5 months out of the year.

I'd rather take 3 months of real hot and humid and enjoy the other 9 months outside and warm. It sure beats temperatures in the teens for 3 months. That is why there is air conditioning.

Oh yeah I've heard the old saying 'I like the 4 seasons'. Well I've seen the 4 seasons long enough and can't wait to get down there. I have an interview tomorrow and am praying something will pop. You are correct about the pay part but I don't think the variance is quite that bad.

I was in Vegas in August and plan on going out there this July. It was 108 degrees one day! It didn't bother me that much and once the sun goes down it is suprising comfortable. Vegas has it's bad points about their weather also. I guess to each his own.

Once again thanks for your side of it. I'm going to look out for those fire ants! Are they everywhere and will my dogs get into them?

Glen

CCL Fantasty - 85
CCL Destiny - 99
NCL Sky - 00
CCL Destiny - 01
NCL Star - 02
CCL Inspiration - 03
vegas trip- can I do this on a cruise board?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;3;10;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
The big 50 years old cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;13;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
RCI Adventure - 05 'BIG 50'

Tinsel57, you're right about Texas being the fire ant capital of the world. But I can remember having my share of them in Naples.

Glentally, thanks for taking my comments as simply one person's opinion and not a bashing of Florida in general, for that certainly was not my intention. I lived in Southwest Florida for 11 years and loved it for the most part, for I am, like you, a lover of heat. I felt the same way you do right now when I moved down there from the Midwest - get away from the cold and snow and enjoy the outdoors more.

The reason I made that post was because while I lived down there, I saw more and more people vacationing in the winter months and falling in love with the area. They would sell their house up north and move down the next winter. They would get completely settled in, only to go through their first summer with the heat, humidity, bugs and rain, and then begin wishing they could move back home. That is one reason you will find many employers have a slight xenophobia and are hesitant to hire anyone who hasn't lived in the area for at least six months. They want to make sure you will be willing to stick around for a while.

Quite the opposite of bashing Florida, I am simply wanting to share some of the less desirable things with which you have to contend when living there with anyone possibly unaware of them prior to them making the big move and then finding out their paradise isn't exactly that. I am with you on the issue of cold weather. Even after living in Vegas for 12 years, I still get cold every winter when the temps drop below 50, because in South Florida, that simply doesn't happen very often or for very long.

I find your choices of where to move very interesting - either Florida or Arizona. Both warm climates, but radically different in terms of humidity, bugs, rain, cost of living and ability to make a living. Something I failed to mention about Florida is that there is always something in bloom, so if you have allergies, beware. I don't believe Arizona has the same problem, although when I moved to Vegas, I traded one set of allergies for another. As you said, every place there is to live in this country will have its own set of desirable and undesirable traits. You simply have to find an area where the good, in your opinion, outweighs the bad, in your opinion.

Good luck in your search for relocation and your job hunt. I wish you the best of luck.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until NOS Sailing 10/23/04

Several cruises, but why list them when no one cares?

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
ooooh! wait a second... lvcruiser
has many good points, and well, florida is getting a little too crowded (eastern s. florida anyway) for my liking, so yes, yes, ants, rain, humidity, bad salaries, hurricanes!!!!!! stay where you are everyone! This is not paradise, its more like hell! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

LvCruiser point taken.

I have been lucky in life and been able to spend a great deal of time in Florida, MOST of it during the summer and of late, now that the kids are grown and gone, fall and spring as well.. I've been to the east and west coast, the south and central having vacationed for extended periods of time as well as lived there for several years.

It is very easy for anyone to fall in love with any vacation paradise. After all, you are living in an 'altered' state, so to speak, without the pressures and practicalities of your normal everyday life. But living somewhere is not the same as vacationing. I can't tell you how much I cut down on my beach time once I lived there!

Like anything else, your best bet is to do your homework, something the originator is certainly doing so I applaud her for that! Matching a place to move to is kind of like finding the right college. Don't go because of what you heard, don't go because your friends are going, do the research and make the best match for what meets your needs.

Keep in mind that all places on this earth have pro's and con's and any move can be made better or worse by your overall attitude. Moving is one the most stressful things in one's life. So choose wisely.

PS, I have a fondness for the east coast, the actual ocean not gulf side, which, if you're beachside, eliminates a lot of the bugs and fireants that the west side is famous for. The bugs in particular is one of the main reasons I never loved, though did like, the west coast. And I believe I mentioned earlier that this is predominantly a service industry driven state; all jobs in this category are low paying. Most people don't care. They move there for the beach, weather and lifestyle and put up with the negative aspects to live a life they love. That can mean small houses and tiny dots of land if at all, though it is relative depending upon where you come from. One note, overall FL is famous for having poor schools. I’d be looking into private schooling or home schooling.

To each their own! We're lucky to be able to have choices to move where ever we want.

tinsel57

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dentalchic:
keeponcruisin...what did you think of Englewood???

[url="http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500"]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=e9967a&cdt=2004;4;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/url]
until my Majesty of the Seas cruise!

Carnival Inspiration - June 2003

RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
It was really very nice. We looked in South Gulf Cove, at a lot of lots. The ones in the back were kind of crumy. But, the ones at the maine canal, that came with sea walls were really very nice. We came so close to buying a lot. But, decided to keep looking because that was only our 1st time down. We've been the 4 times looking in the last 2 months. We are flying down next weekend into Ft. Myers and going to look back into Naples, and Port Charolette. I think this time we are going to buy...

We just want it as a place to go to in the winter, nothing huge, in the summer we have a place in Maine on a lake with a private beach. And we are either going to rent the main house and keep the sub divided house behind it to visit family, or just selling them.

15 Cruises since 1999

Jewel of the Seas.. Scandanavia/Russia
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008080&cdt=2004;5;28;17;00;00&timezone=GMT+0000[/img]

SunLovey,

I've tried that strategy in California for 35 years now. It doesn't work... (oh how I wish it did).

I don't know if it happens in Florida but what drives me crazy about transplants is when they keep complaining that everything is better "back home" -- and when they try to make their house and yard look like "back home". AAaarrrrgggh!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sunlovey:
[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img]
ooooh! wait a second... lvcruiser
has many good points, and well, florida is getting a little too crowded (eastern s. florida anyway) for my liking, so yes, yes, ants, rain, humidity, bad salaries, hurricanes!!!!!! stay where you are everyone! This is not paradise, its more like hell! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bill & Jane Lynch

Serenade of the Seas - 8/22/2004
Monarch of the Seas - 8/29/2003 - voyage #660
Vision of the Seas - 5/4/2003 - voyage #225
Explorer of the Seas - 7/20/2002
Monarch of the Seas - 10/17/1999

------------------------------

"Ya best start believin' in ghost stories, Miss Turner, yer in one ! "

wblynch -

we have an expression for those complainers, "take 95 north!"

after just spending both sat. and sun. at the beach there is nothing that could keep me from living down here.

as tinsel57 said, you take the good with the bad.

Archived