floridians i want to move there please help

Hello,

The position I am applying for is in Orlando. Ok you Floridians tell me which cities in or around Orlando are better than others.

I probably don't want to commute real far.

Glen

CCL Fantasty - 85
CCL Destiny - 99
NCL Sky - 00
CCL Destiny - 01
NCL Star - 02
CCL Inspiration - 03
vegas trip- can I do this on a cruise board?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;3;10;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
The big 50 years old cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;13;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
RCI Adventure - 05 'BIG 50'

howdy! I have lived from down in homosassa to macclenny to orange park to jacksonville and now st augustine FL. I love st augustine! I think it has a grand mix of people. Ages are diverse, incomes are diverse, and geography is diverse. There is redneck country, farm country, beach country, golf country, river country, old historic area. We have potato farms in the southwest and some cattle (diminishing though due to neighborhoods) in central part of county. There is world golf village (resort, golf courses, imax thearter) central part of county. We have TPC up in sawgrass/ponte vedra area (golf courses, resorts) in northeast part of county. we have beaches lining our east coast. we have the ponce inlet that the castillo de san marco fort sits on with many other historic sites. We have the st johns river on our west side of county with many larger homes on river with large swaying oak trees (beautiful drive).
It is about 30 min south of downtown jacksonville. Ohhhh about 60 min from daytona. 2 hrs from port canaveral [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Like everyone else has noted florida is growing everywhere, and our county is growing. I hear schools are good (alot of people move from jax to here and commute to work in jax because of schools). Nice hospital here (Flagler) and Mayo Clinic in south Jacksonville with many other hospitals in jacksonville. You still get a season change with weather but not severe. You get occasional freeze, and in summer you get ocean breeze to keep cool. It feels like small town with festivals, and parades but does well when comes to large events like TPC at sawgrass. Its such an accomodating community.

Tori

Monarch Nov02
Sovereign May03
Mariner Feb04
Nordic Empress Feb05

Glen - are you by any chance an RN? I know there are a lot of us on these boards and son runs a home healthcare Co. in Fl. and is desparately looking for a nurse in the Orlando area for a great job.

Royal Majesty '89,'90'91
Nordic Empress '95
Galaxy'98
Century '99
Majesty of the Seas '01
Constellation ''03
Mariner of the Seas '04

Funny you ask. No I'm in management but I wanted my graduating son to get into nursing and he decided it wasn't for him. Oh well

come on the rest of you where to look for a house around Orlando?

Glen

CCL Fantasty - 85
CCL Destiny - 99
NCL Sky - 00
CCL Destiny - 01
NCL Star - 02
CCL Inspiration - 03
vegas trip- can I do this on a cruise board?
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;3;10;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
The big 50 years old cruise
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;13;22;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
RCI Adventure - 05 'BIG 50'

What abour Winter Park? My son went to school there, there are some nice areas and Rollins College is there as well. We would drive into Orlando at night to do things. Depending on where you are and where you're going to, it can be a very long drive either because of distance or traffic situations.

tinsel57

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by awdl2000:
i am so thrilled that so many of you have taken the time to answer my post. the info has really helped me. as far as work i currently attend rhode island college with a double major elementary ed/ special ed and phyc. i am a waitress now while i am going to school so i hope for a job in any of those fields. my fiancee is a resturant manager at DENNYS any of those in florida? he could probably get a transfer. i have been searching real estate, and i cant believe that everyone thinks that prices are sky rockrting in florida. you cant get a house up here for under 200,000 and that is like a simple ranch style house that 5 years ago would have been worth 80,000. i think that my post has helped answer other peoples questions as well, so let me as well mention crusing. if i live in florida i dont have to pay the 300 dollars for a planr ticket, so that means more crusing for us!!!!!!
thanks aqain everyone
audra

wedding cruise Mariner of the seas nov 28,04
Majesty may 03
voyager jan 01
nordic empress jan 99<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If you are planning to teach for a living, check out the pay schedules for the district where you want to work. The pay rate for BA teachers in Orange and Seminole county is about 30K. It stays pretty flat for 6 years and then slowly rises. There are LOTS of special ed jobs here.

Work like a dog. Live like a pauper. Save all your money. Then Cruise!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lvcruiser:
Something that no one has mentioned yet is that the pay scale in Florida, particularly South Florida, is 20 years behind the rest of the country. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

One must take into consideration that we do not pay a state income tax because of revenue generated by our tourists [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So while my pay level may be lower than say someone in New York, I am not paying state income taxes. So I'd prefer to say that THEIR pay scales are inflated rather than saying ours our behind the rest of the country.

That said, our teachers are paid poorly. [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] I don't know if the OP will be back to see this. If you end up in south Florida, I believe Miami--Dade County pays their teachers the highest. Broward and Palm Beach are probably 2 & 3 respectively.

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DedeM:

One must take into consideration that we do not pay a state income tax because of revenue generated by our tourists [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

So while my pay level may be lower than say someone in New York, I am not paying state income taxes. So I'd prefer to say that THEIR pay scales are inflated rather than saying ours our behind the rest of the country.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm sorry to have to take issue with what you said, DedeM, but I seriously don't believe any state has an income tax higher than 10%, and that doesn't even begin to justify the massive difference between what the State of Florida pays for most jobs compared to other states. My son is attending medical school in Ft. Lauderdale beginning in June and his wife, who holds a BA in public relations and graphic design is having a difficult time finding a job that will pay more than $30K. However, if they were to move to a Northern state, she could get the same job for upwards of $60K, and I don't think she would have to pay 50% in state income tax.

Maybe all occupations do not have that drastic of a difference in pay between Florida and other states. However, I was a credit manager for a large regional bank for 10 years while in Naples, and was simply appalled by the pay scales of most occupations when reviewing applications for credit. And if these applicants were going to exagerate on their income, it was going to be up, not down, as verifications would prove out.

As an aside, the State of Nevada does not have an income tax either, but my income now is considerably higher than it was while living in Florida, and my cost of living is drastically lower, meaning I'm coming out ahead twice. Don't get me wrong - I love Florida. But where I live now, there is a strong and thriving middle class; something I missed while living in Naples.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until NOS Sailing 10/23/04

Several cruises, but why list them when no one cares?

lvcruiser-
the reason she is having SUCH a hard time finding a job in that field (PR/graphic design) paying more than $30K is because their simply aren't a ton of jobs like that, and there ARE tons of people that WANT those types of jobs. I work in a creative services department in south florida myself, i am a copywriter. So in her case it's more about the field.

Hi all!
Great topic, just thought you might want to check out beautiful Martin and St. Lucie Counties as well. These are truly exquisite areas with a combination of old Florida tranqulity and lots of modern conveniences. Martin County schools are great, and one of the best charter schools around is in Ft. Pierce in St. Lucie County. There is so much to see and do with WATER everywhere from the Intracoastal to the Indian River to the gorgeous Atlantic.
There's a little info on this site: [url="http://www.hutchinsonisland.com"]Hutchinson Island Info[/url] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Good luck with your searching and of course, Happy Cruising!!

Texas has no state tax either and I can tell you that in the Austin area, a mecca of high tech, building is booming and salaries in skilled tech field, predominently Grad degree and up, or in the construction market, are strong. Our cost of living is significantly lower than Florida, except last month I noticed that softz serve ice cream/custard from Moo's in Indialantic was a bargain compared to what we pay here! Other than that, I can't think of one other than thing that wasn't priced higher.

New York and CA people move here in droves and think we are a bargain compared to their living expenses in those area. Oh sure they're salaries may be higher to compensate but I think they come ahead living here.

There are many web sites where you can compare the cost of living city to city. You might check it out it can be very interesting.

tinsel57

Sunlovey, thanks for the info on the particular field of employment. I'll pass that onto my son.

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;10;23;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]

Having no income tax in Florida is a plus, but even more advantageous is the decrease in property taxes from NY. In the Upstate NY area the taxes on about $175000 house are approx. $6300 per year. I believe that in Florida (at least where I have looked) you are looking at cutting that cost almost in half. Combine that with the elimination of state income tax and you are looking at a significant amount of money. That being said, I would not mind taking "a third of my pay in sunshine". When all is said and done it will probably end me up about where I am now financially, just a whole lot happier with the weather.... I love the heat and sun!

Grandeur 5/99
Enchantment 10/01
Navigator 11/03
Voyager 11/04

[url="http://www.bestplaces.net/"]http://www.bestplaces.net/[/url]

Sperlings Best Places to Live

You might find this an interesting site. You can compare cost of living city to city plus get school info, crime stats, neighborhood and climate profiles.

Be sure to scroll down to view results, othewise it looks like a blank screen!

tinsel57

I moved to Florida from New York in 1990. Jobs were not easy to find and I ended up taking almost a 50% pay cut. I was prepared to take a pay cut, but didn't know it was going to be such a large one! I still feel it was one of the best decisions I've made. Don't know exactly how it works out, but I feel I have a better quality of life here for less money. The heat does get a bit unbearable part of the year, but beats shoveling snow and being chilled to the bone! I do not miss the cloudy and dreary days up north. During the steamy months, we spend most of our time under air conditioning. The only season I miss is the fall. We pretty much have spring/summer from October through May. May/June is the beginning of the hot season and with it the thunderstorms and high humidity. This can last through October.

My children are grown, so I do not know much about the school system. At your ages, if you are determined to give Florida a try, you can certainly relocate again if it doesn't work out. You might consider renting for the first year, so you can get a better idea of where you want to settle. Try to build up as much of a financial cushion as you can, so that you have options if you find out Florida isn't for you.

tinsel57, thanks for a very interesting link. I hope anyone thinking about moving will check this out.

Hi awdl2000

I am with you. My family is ready to move south as well. But we are even farther north than you - we live in Ontario. Talk about your 4 seasons - snow, more snow, blizzards and mosquitos. My kids are ready to move south to some sunshine. Does anyone know of the best places to apply for nursing positions? I will be graduating (BScN) next April (2005) and plan to start searching for employment soon. I would like to put my kids in private school.
I see many of you have recommended the west coast or outside of Orlando/Tampa area. I have been there recently and can understand your recommendations. We currently own a timeshare in Kissimee so I am there quite often.
We, unfortunately, will not be down until Aprill 2005 when we cruise on the Voyager as my graduation present.
If anyone has any suggestions on areas I could look for employment I would greatly appreciate the information.

Fascination 02
Voyager 05

-----------------------------
RCI Voyager - April 23, 2005
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2005;4;26;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Carnival Fascination - June 2003

We live in Punta Gorda, Fl. (Charlotte County)

While visiting a friend in the hospital, we were talking to a nurse rom Puerto Rico. She said the hospital recruited her from there, paying her travel expenses and helping her find a place to live -- because they had problems finding nurses. She had to agree to stay for a year.

So it seems if they are looking outside the country, Charlotte County would be a good place to look for nursing positions.

We are right on Charlotte Harbor, on a canal with seawalls. A lovely place to live.

GotMySeaLegs... Any where! There is a huge nursing shortage and supply cannot keep up with the demand. They are soliciting foreign nurses and offering them incredible packages to come work state side.Austin is screaming for nurses and paying sign on bonuses - so if you don't want FL come to TX!

And I prefer the east coast of FL, it's very buggy on the west side.

tinsel57

Hey K2 and RayMonday...We just moved from Palm Harbor, in Northern Pinellas County...to Holiday which is in Southwestern Pasco County. Pinellas County was the fastest growing county when I moved there in 1983 and I don't think it's slowed down since then. We bought our house in 1999 and sold it last November 03 for almost double the price of what we paid.
Pasco is a large county and is growing like crazy. The same model of the house we just built in Pasco sells for $60,000 more in Pinellas County.The Trinity area is booming although you can't find the same Home deals you found there just 2-3 years ago. The area where we live is growing as well and so is the Interstate 75/ cooridor in Pasco. Feel free to email me any specific questions...I'll try my best to answer!
Take care and Happy Cruising!

CARRIE

CELEBRATION-95
DESTINY-96
GRANDEUR/RCCL-97
IMAGINATION-98
VICTORY-00
FANTASY-03/01
MAJESTY/RCCL-06/01
SPIRIT-11/01
GRAND PRINCESS-03/02
MAJESTY/RCCL-06/02