Trip Report SD1 May 31-June 9

Jane1614

Had a wonderful cruise. Had never been on a luxury cruise before, and this was a special treat. We spent 2 days in Rome before boarding in Civitavecchia on May 31. Upon boarding there is champagne and hors d oerves served. (sorry, if I spelled that wrong. We had 103 on board for this sailing. We did a port every day, sailing at night. The ports were Sorrento, Capri, Taormina(Sicily), Fiskardo (Kefalonia Greece), Itea, The Corinth Canal, Mykonos, Santorini, Hydra and docked in Piraeus (Athens) on the final day. One of the highlights were taking the shopping walk with the chef through the streets of Sorrento. We had about 8 people with us. Stopped at various shops and markets. Purchasing food items with the chef for that night's cocktail hour...etc. We had tastings of everything...from Lemoncello, tomatoes, cheeses, sausages, pruciutto,mushrooms, olives, fruits, cannoli, ice cream and probably a few other things I can't remember. We were stuffed before lunch time. So much fun. I recommend you take this walk if given the opportunity. Going through the Corinth canal was so neat. We had cocktail hour at the front of the yacht with greek music and various greek appetizers. Mykonos was my favorite island, just for being so quaint and having the best lunch on my entire trip at a restaurant called Pelican ...(the one with the orange tables). Such a pretty island. Saw the real life Pelicans too. Santorini was fun too, with more higher end stores and lots of jewelry. I know you are all wondering about the ship too, which was just so personable. The staff knew our names out of no where, which we were so impressed with. The service was outstanding. Pajamas with our names embroidered on them, laid out for us the first night on board. Our stateroom was spacious and immaculate. The beds were so comforable with individual down comforters. Fluffy pillows, spacious sitting area. Flat panel TV;s, with limited access. Mostly in house movie, or CNN news. Which was all you really need. The water was always hot in the shower, and plenty of room. Each time we left and came back our stateroom was refreshed. The food was very good, but I wouldn't say great. We alternated the dining room inside one night and the next night outside dining. All breakfasts and lunches were served outside. Lunch and dinner, wines were served continuously, if you cared to have them. Each day a different selection was available as the house wine. The selections were very good. We enjoyed the piano bar late night on deck 4. We had water sports and swimming off the back of the ship when in port on a few of the days, depending on the weather. Water was ice cold, so I only dipped and got right out, but my husband was determined to swim in two of the ports. We really enjoyed that everything was quite casual, yet classy. We hope to return on a future cruise...when I don't know, but this was a trip of a lifetime for us. Any questions please ask away. We loved it.

:)

Hi Jane1614! Thanks for taking the time to post your trip report. Glad to hear you had such a great time. We are considering a voyage similar to yours next summer. Only problem is I have to wait over a year for it. :rolleyes:

We did the Chef's Walk in St. Tropez last November and absolutely loved it. It's quite an experience, isn't it?

Welcome home to reality. :)

A year goes fast. We too waited over a year. Booked it in Feb 07 and sailed May 31, 08! A year goes really fast.

I think SD is one of the few ships that can fit down the Corinth Canal. Its quite narrow. It was a great experience, sitting up front and watching the little tug boat tug us through!

The more I think about the trip the more I loved it. I can't wait to go back someday.

Archived