Whale watching in Icy Strait Point HELP!

amartin042

• 2 weeks later...

What I decided to do was make sure the excursion times fit my other plans.

I found that some of the companies I thought would be great ended up being the same company the cruise used. (sometimes cheaper on your own). I was also told by a friend that you can take a cab to Mendelhall visitor center instead of taking a tour for $50.00 (i think).

All of the companies have phone #'s. I found EVERYONE in each town know EVERYONE!

I booked a tour with one company & another e-mailed me asking if I booked with the first LOL . SMALL TOWNS

Everyone was VERY helpful!

Susie

We're doing the Whale & Mammal tour and booked through the cruise line. Easiest way for me to do it. One stop shopping and if I have to make changes, I can take care of it onboard. There's a cost for convenience.

I was also told by a friend that you can take a cab to Mendelhall visitor center instead of taking a tour for $50.00 (i think).

You can take a shuttle from the dock to Mendenhall Glacier for $7 each way, Susie, and they run every 15 minutes or so. Almost as convenient as a cab.

We booked independently with FISHES last Aug. GREAT time and Floyd knew right where to take us to see them! He followed a pod of Humpbacks for quite a while and we had one surface right next to the boat as another slightly bumped us as it swam under. He has a hydrophone under the water also so you can hear them "singing" and barking.

Afterwards we asked him to drop us off at the dock in town and we had lunch at "The Office" bar. If you like fresh crab, this is THE place to go! It is taken out of the livewell and cooked right after you order it and served with a choice of homade seafood chowder or potato salad; hubby and I EACH ordered a crab and he ordered the potato salad and I got the chowder, then we shared. Washed down with a nice, cold bottle of Alaska Pale Ale...mmmmmmmmm:D Would go again in a heartbeat!

We booked independently with FISHES last Aug. GREAT time and Floyd knew right where to take us to see them!..... Would go again in a heartbeat!

Hi,

Glad you had a great time! We are scheduled with FISHES for next summer. We know that tipping is a individual or personal thing, but curious if you have any guidelines when tipping on an excursion like this, especially when the captain is the owner.

Thank you.

Just got back 1 week ago and I charter a whale watching excursion with Alaska Raven Charters, www.alaskaravencharters.com The owner Ora was our captain for the half day trip and we had a fantastic time whale watching with over a dozen whales around us and plenty of sea lions. Also got to see bears and eagles on the trip. Hope to have photos posted soon on my photo website www.jprphotos.com

Archived