ST thomas Trunk Bay cheaper then ship tours and longer time to snorkle??????

Beckster

Someone posted there are cheaper and quicker ways to get to Trunk Bay on St Thomas to snorkle and see it then taking the ships tour. ANYONE know of the easist way?? :cool:

Leaving Oct 23rd on the Carnival Triumph !

Hello Beckster,

The only way to get to St. John on your own is to take the ferry (either the passenger ferry or car barge if you have a rental car). There are two passenger ferries; one leaving from Charlotte Amalie at $7 a person one way, 45 minute trip OR leaving from Red Hook at $3 a person one way, 15 minute trip but requires a longer taxi ride to get to Red Hook from the cruise ship pier.

Once on St. John, if with car you would drive yourself there, free parking, $4 a person beach use fee OR take a taxi from Cruz Bay (where both ferries and car barge arrive) to Trunk.

Find more details at the bottom of this page; with schedules, cost, time:

http://*****/general_usvi/cruiseship/cruiseguide_page1.php

--Islander

Beckster - It is very easy to do the cab - ferry - cab trip to Trunk Bay and it is worth it to have more time to enjoy the beautiful beach. The first time we went to Trunk Bay it was on an excursion and it really seemed like we were leaving as soon as we got there. This last time we went on our own enjoyed Trunk for a few hours and then headed over to Cinnamon for a few more hours. It was a wonderful day. I hope this helps!

Hi Beck,

You were probably referring to my comments on another post..lol. On your trip to St john you are dictated by the time your ship arrives and ferry times. The taxis are truck caravans and they will wait as long as possible to fill up and still get you to your ferry. There are no options if you can get in a taxi and catch the 7:30 am or 8:00 am Red Hook ferry. (20-30 ride) In this case, its the taxi, ferry and taxi to your destination on St John. This will cost $8 p.p taxi, $3 p.p ferry and whatever the taxi and park fees there might be on St. John.

(Trunk Bay taxi $5.50 p.p...$9.00 for 2 and park fee $4.00 p.p)

It is much faster and cheaper if you arrive in port and can only get the 9.a.m ferry ( other times are 11:00 am, 1 p.m. for example) then you have 2 options. #1 Run the same routine above (Red Hook Ferry) or #2 catch the Charlotte Amalie ferry right in town, direct to Cruz Bay for $7.00 p.p. and then get your St John taxi. In the morning its a little more difficult because the Charlotte Amalie runs a little later than most Cruise Ship arrivals.

In the afternoon, I would absolutely use the Charlotte amalie ferry as you can set your own departure to coordinate with the ferry schedule with departures at 11:15, 1:15 and 2:15. (later times available too)

The only negative about the Charlotte Amalie ferry that I've read pertains to when weather conditions create rough waters, we did not experience this at all. It does take a little bit of research and planning and I hope I didnt confuse you. Rick

You can get a tour to St John that is exactly like the Champagne Catamaran sold thru many cruise lines (Princess for sure) that sells for about 119-130 onboard around $95! All day trip but fabulous.. have done it before and booked it for Caribbean Princess Cruise Critic group in Sept. 05. They pick you up at the dock, catamaran over to St John, couple of beach hours, big Caribbean barbecue, and open bar including champagne (and non alcoholic of course)... Also snorkel gear etc. A great way to see St John and no hassle. We've done the ferry/taxi thing and IMHO only it is a bit of a hassle.. But this is a way better way to do it than paying 119 or so onboard...

• 2 months later...

Archived