What did you rewear on your trip?

kirby1200

You know, I told a lady at work about this. She and her DH plus two other couples were taking a cruise to Alaska in May (my co-worker's first cruise). She told her DH. He decided that's what he was going to do. But the funniest thing about it is - he told everyone about this! And when I say everyone, I mean complete strangers in the airport before they even left OKC, people on the plane, people at the hotel the night before the cruise, as well as people on their cruise. Now, everytime I hear someone talk about this on here, I'm gonna think of Buck (and yes, that's his given name).

I guess that's the origin of the term "Passing the Buck!" :D

I'm glad a lot of people are able to use this tip for packing light, or for a chuckle!

Cruising through the Tracy Arm Glacier was the only day that we had rain on our cruise last week, and believe me...you needed all of the warm coverage that you could get!!!

Guess I'd better wear several layers of used underwear!

I know my trip is still a few months out, but I have decided to treat myself to some new clothes so I have started thinking about some new clothes.

For days at sea I am planning on taking lounge like clothes. Somehting very comfortable. Kind of a jogging suit type outfits. I will pack 3 plus 3 t-shirts to go with them. I wll rewear the t-shirts on shore days with jeans and a button up shirt.

I am cruising NCL, but enjoy dressing up a tad at night. I will take a Brown and black pants and a few shirts to mix it up. I am trying not to over do it, but sure I will.

Jeans and long sleeve t-shirts. I wished I had not packed as much as I did as it I never wore it. I also did laundry a couple of times on the ship (Diamond). It was not a big deal to set the washer and come back later to put clothes in the dryer. We didn't sit and wait for it to get done. We also did a load on our at the Mt. Mckinley lodge. The lodges have self-service laundry rooms that are easily accessible! We also did not sit and wait for clothes to be washed. On our next trip... we will definitely not take much! :)

I pretty much wear all my clothes ( except underwear and socks) twice.

I bring:

three pairs of cotton docker like pants ( one black, one navy & one khaki) four tops for day and 3 tops for evening. 1 formal outfit, 1 jogging suit, 1 pair of shorts, 1 swim suit, a waterproof jacket, a sweatshirt. gloves, scarf, socks, undies and shoes.

We actually wore everything we packed at least once!

We had a late flight the day before our cruise, so I changed into completely clean clothing so I had another half-day wear out of my shirt. ;) We also had the laundromat on our end of the ship on our floor, which helped.

My DH and I basically lived in jeans and long-sleeve t-shirts (though I could perhaps see short sleeves in the July/August range) for the whole cruise. Occasionally, we'd supplement with a sweater, a water resistant fleece, or a water-resistant wind breaker. We both wore socks and sneakers for the whole cruise.

We live in Michigan, so we weren't concerned about temperatures and didn't pack (nor did we find we needed) long underwear. We did pack our winter hats and gloves and wore them a few times on the ship (cruising College Fjords - we stationed ourselves at the front most part of the ship on the lido deck which was windy, cold, and amazing) and once off.

That said, as I type to you from the airport, I'm going to go home and wash EVERYTHING. All the coats, sweaters/sweatshirts, and jeans. Then I will probably wear skirts to work for a week because it'll be a nice change.

I brought a pair of capris for the warmer days (and in case it was REALLY warm in Healy and Fairbanks - it wasn't) and if I wanted to feel dressy for dinner. I brought along a pair of the much hated shoes, which were for when I didn't want to wear sneakers on board.

We take old socks and underwear that we've set aside during the year. After doing laundry halfway through the trip, we wear them one last time and discard them. It frees up space for souveneirs. :)[/quote

I had read about this on the boards some time ago and tried it on my recent Alaska Cruise. It is a great idea and I will be making it one my new "travel traditions".

It frees up space for souvenirs OR makes your luggage "lighter" when flying...

AlinaMaria

Different strokes for different folks. I am one of those folks

who buys new for a cruise..and that is especially true

for undergarments. If they are old enough to throw out,

they are probably thrown out already.

I didn't exceed the weight limit for flying the first time

I went to Alaska and don't plan on it this time either.

The only souvenier I usually buy is a t-shirt with a small

logo on it. That doesn't take up any extra space.

I have read on here that jeans aren't necessarily good in Alaska because if they get wet in the rain they take forever to dry. Anyone have that issue? Also do many people wear the fleece/velour type jogging sets? I got a few to hang out in at home. (I'm always cold) and if I can wear these instead of jeans it might be a bit warmer for me. I do have dressier outfits for dinner but thinking shore excursion/ship days to be much more casual but don't want to look foolish either. Thoughts? We leave in 2 days and I am finalizing packing now.

Thanks.

I just returned from out trip to Alaska and the one thing I wore over and over was windpants. Somes days they were over silk underwear. Some days over both silk undewear and fleece pants. Once on land I usually wore them by themselves. What I liked about them was they had nice deep zippered pockets where I could keep handy whatever I wanted without dragging a purse around. They were also very comfy. I actually borrowed these from my athlete daughter as I couldn't find any I liked. These were great. They had zippers at the bottom of the legs so you could put them on or off with hiking shoes. The athlete type are really superior to anything I found in our local stores.

I also liked having earmuffs. They were great for being out on deck.

I was also very glad I bought some sturdy low hikers that were waterproof. I wore them all the time except to dinner. They were great for the hikes we took and when I was on the bow of the Adventure Bound glacier tour they stayed dry when the captain put the bow under a waterfall that splashed all over our feet.

The number one item I would say everyone should have is a breathable waterproof jacket. It was indispensable on our trip. We just had light rain on some of the days, but it was great to have. I would not have wanted to be bothering with the ponchos that some people chose. They flap around in the wind and when it stops raining you have to deal with folding up a wet item. By far most people had waterproof jackets. Those that didn't did get wet.

I have read on here that jeans aren't necessarily good in Alaska because if they get wet in the rain they take forever to dry. Anyone have that issue? Also do many people wear the fleece/velour type jogging sets? I got a few to hang out in at home. (I'm always cold) and if I can wear these instead of jeans it might be a bit warmer for me. I do have dressier outfits for dinner but thinking shore excursion/ship days to be much more casual but don't want to look foolish either. Thoughts? We leave in 2 days and I am finalizing packing now.

Thanks.

Most people did wear jeans. As I stated above, I lived in my daughter's windpants and loved them. I saw a few velour and sweatsuits, but by far jeans were the choice of most.

Thanks.

We wore jeans every day EXCEPT when we were doing outdoor based excursions (hikes, bike rides, etc). On those days, we did wear exercise type clothing, which dries faster/doesn't chafe/doesn't weigh a million pounds. But we're both also comfortable in jeans so it wasn't a wardrobe change for us.

Thanks.

Hi, I see you leave soon:D

If you feel more comfy in the velour type outfits I say

go for it:) and personally, I don't think you will foolish at all.

I bring both to Alaska, jeans and those soft cotton slacks

too.

Seriously, fleece is great and there are different textures

of it as well. Sometimes its a medium (not too heavy but

very soft:) ).

I enjoy wearing it for that long cross country flight from

Florida to Seattle.

Have a wonderful cruise!:)

First cruise ever to Alaska in mid August. Totally clueless on what to pack. I know layers are suggested. At night is a sleeveless formal dress out of the question?? My husband keeps insisting we won't be 'out in the weather' unless we want to be, and the walk to and from our cabin to dinner won't be outside or cold...but he hasn't been on a cruise before either. I'd originally bought cute outfits to wear south before we changed plans, so i'm returning and exchanging as much as I can, but all my dressy dinner clothes are sleeveless.

Hi, you will see all kinds of formalwear:) long gowns (strapless)

cocktail dresses, (spaghetti straps as well as strapless),

sleevelss, etc...etc...etc...

If you think you might be cold, there are all kinds of pretty

shawls you can bring.

Trying to think what I wore last time (its been 2 years since

my last Alaska cruise).....Oh, one formal night I wore I long

black skirt with a very dressy top....cap sleeves in a teal color

with silver sequins.

I saw many gals without sleeves....just depends on you:D

First cruise ever to Alaska in mid August. Totally clueless on what to pack. I know layers are suggested. At night is a sleeveless formal dress out of the question?? My husband keeps insisting we won't be 'out in the weather' unless we want to be, and the walk to and from our cabin to dinner won't be outside or cold...but he hasn't been on a cruise before either. I'd originally bought cute outfits to wear south before we changed plans, so i'm returning and exchanging as much as I can, but all my dressy dinner clothes are sleeveless.

I wore a sleeveless dress for elegent night and I was fine. Our table was tucked away a bit which was nice, otherwise the dining room on the Spirit had a bit of a draft and I would have wanted a wrap. I hear that's common in the warm-weather cruises as well, though. Our ship was a comfortable temperature and I was never cold unless I went outside! (And I didn't have to go outside unless I wanted to)

I wore my black polar fleece LLBean vest every day. It was great to layer under....starting with a short sleeve t-shirt, and all the way to 4 other layers underneath on the day we cruised through the fjords. In my opinion, its a must-have

Last Aug. we did a 13 day land first cruise tour on HAL. We wore EVERYTHING twice. Our ship had laundry facilities just down the hall so our first day on the cruise was an at sea day and in the evening after early seating dinner we did 3 loads of wash. All the jeans, tees and long sleeved shirts we wore on the land portion were worn again in port on the cruise portion. We had two formal nights and we both wore the same outfits for both nights. We managed just fine with one suitcase each and only one carryon. All of our luggage went with us from the time we got to our first night's lodging until we flew home. My hubby is an EXCELLENT packer; I just bring everything to him and let him take it from there. Tees and underwear are rolled, jeans and shorts too. The only things that were layed out flat on the top of everything else was his suit, etc. and my long formal dress.:D

We are from the NW so we packed for Alaska the same way since our climates are similar. Jeans, t shirt and and hooded sweat shirt. At night on the ship i wore sleeveless dress or shirt every night and was very comfortable.

Our weather last week in Alaska was great, 55 + in every port, we came back with a tan. Can't say that about most Alaska cruises. Just check their westher forecast and plan from there.

We came back yesterday the 4th.

Eileen:D

We are from the NW so we packed for Alaska the same way since our climates are similar. Jeans, t shirt and and hooded sweat shirt. At night on the ship i wore sleeveless dress or shirt every night and was very comfortable.

Our weather last week in Alaska was great, 55 + in every port, we came back with a tan. Can't say that about most Alaska cruises. Just check their westher forecast and plan from there.

We came back yesterday the 4th.

Eileen:D

My DH and I did, as well! In fact, he got a bit of a sunburn across his face! We thought that was pretty funny. :)

Archived