Windjammer trays?

RCCL's oval plates are so large, I place the drink cup/coffee cup on the plate, hold the silverwear and plate with one hand and can carry it all in one trip.

Sorry, the oval plates are now gone too! I guess people were loading up and wasting food? :(

still no trays last week on splendour. very annoying to have to juggle even just a plate, drink, silverware in napkin, and spoon. yeah, they don't put spoons in the napkins, so you have to snag that separately.

I go to a local buffet periodically. Not only do they also not have trays, the dishes are not big as in the WJ. But for me that is ok, we make a few more trips to the table. I also can see why they do not have it, so much more to clean, and store.

i wouldn't have minded the extra trips so much if the wj hadn't been so over-crowded and i hadn't received glares from the wj staff every single time i was on my feet in there. given other people's better stories, i am going to put this down to the wj just being too small on splendour and imagine that the other rci ships have a better space for the number of people onboard.

I heard they stopped using the trays to cut down on wasted food. People had eyes bigger than their stomach taking more food than they ate because they could put multiple plates on their trays. While they can still have all the food they want, the nuisance factor of having to go back through the lines discourages you, especially when you find you are full enough from what you put on your original plate I guess they had the same bean counter working for them that figured out eliminating olives on the airline salads would save a ton of money (lol).

I, also, imagine it is a minor cost saving factor to not have to clean the trays for reuse. We were on the VOS last spring and they had the large oval plates but I guess the suits figured they could save even more money by going to smaller plates necessitating more trips to the (and through) the lines to get more food. At our Country Club they have a luncheon buffet which is a well stocked salad bar as well as a carving station with multiple veggies, fish, etc. You could have just the salad bar rather than the full buffet for less money which is more in line of what our bridge ladies wanted. However, the salad bar had small plates. Didn't take us long to figure out to go to where the plates were for the full buffet and getting one of those for our salads (lol).

I put my silverwear in my pocket, too. Sometimes the help was too efficient in the WJ. One day I was eating alone and when I went to eat my dessert realized I had picked up a fork instead of the spoon I needed. So while I dashed back to the dessert table (and it wasn't very far), they took up my dessert and the waiter was ready to chase me down because I had "forgotten" my tote bag on the back of the chair (lol).

You do need a "buddy" system when dining in the WJ.

Tucker in Texas

Archived