Cruise Fanatic or CC Addict? Is there any cure?

HeatherInFlorida

For the first time in my life I missed an appointment yesterday. Granted it was for an oil change on my car which is not my favorite time passer, but still! The other night DH came to my study and asked if I was at all concerned about my "addiction" to these CC boards. It got me to thinking ... how much is too much?:o

I was a CC lurker for a couple of years and when I was booking my upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam, I began posting. I got tons of valuable information and still do. But I realize now that my inbox fills with email and I'm constantly playing catch-up reading everyone's posts. I feel I'm constantly reading, reading and reacting, reacting!!!

So my question is this: Is there a cure when CC begins to take up just too much of your day? Is there a CC Anonymous where I can go to get over it? Should I turn off "email notifications"? Or am I overreacting to my DH's fear? What to do? Any ideas from my CC friends? HELP!!!!:D

So my question is this: Is there a cure when CC begins to take up just too much of your day? Is there a CC Anonymous where I can go to get over it? Should I turn off "email notifications"? Or am I overreacting to my DH's fear? What to do? Any ideas from my CC friends? HELP!!!!:D

There's only one cure - cold turkey. I've heard that getting on a cruise ship - without a laptop - can be very good therapy, though! :rolleyes:

-dave

Heather-

It is addicting isn't it? I always want to check in and see what everyone is up to... sometimes my biggest challenge is staying on topic, I feel like I know so many of you - I want to share everything going on in my life! :)

Set a limit for yourself. Use an egg timer or electronic one. After that amount of time has passed (and make it less than an hour) then log off and forget it until tomorrow.

We joke and kid around ... but Internet addiction is a very real problem in many lives. I have a niece whose marriage crumbled because she couldn't stay out of chat rooms and neglected her husband and child. I'm not suggesting that you're anywhere near that ... just commenting that even something good can become obsessive if not kept in check.

Set a limit for yourself. Use an egg timer or electronic one. After that amount of time has passed (and make it less than an hour) then log off and forget it until tomorrow.

We joke and kid around ... but Internet addiction is a very real problem in many lives. I have a niece whose marriage crumbled because she couldn't stay out of chat rooms and neglected her husband and child. I'm not suggesting that you're anywhere near that ... just commenting that even something good can become obsessive if not kept in check.

You're absolutely right! But happy to say that, no, I'm nowhere near that. No marriage crumbling here. Since DH doesn't do the internet at all he doesn't understand any of it:) .

I have turned off the email notifications and that's making a huge difference already. I never do chat rooms and this is the only message board I'm on so while I don't think it's a serious problem, I just couldn't handle all the email. Should be better now:D .

I like the suggestion of using a cruise without laptop as the cure, but if we start having withdrawal symptoms during the cruise will there be a support group on board to help? Will there be daily meetings of the group? Will it be listed in the activities as Friends of Heather?:)

I like the suggestion of using a cruise without laptop as the cure, but if we start having withdrawal symptoms during the cruise will there be a support group on board to help? Will there be daily meetings of the group? Will it be listed in the activities as Friends of Heather?:)

The group meets every night, an hour before dinner, in the piano bar.

Hmm.. 4 seatings... that means 4 meetings!

:) -dave

To ease any acute withdrawl symptoms, you can always stop by the Internet Cafe for a quick fix. I'm online 18 hours a day and when I get email notifications and jump on the really good ones.

I may bring the laptop this time, but only for photos and journal.

Archived