Carnival Denies Pregnant Woman Boarding

crusinmama06

From their website:

faq.gifspacer.gifWhat is Carnival's policy regarding guests who are pregnant?spacer.gifGuests who are 24 weeks or more into their pregnancy on the date of embarkation will not be allowed to sail. Pregnant women less than 24 weeks must submit, prior to departure, a letter from her attending physician certifying the gestational period and that the expecting mother is fit to sail.

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Pregnancy_Policy.aspx

Shhhh...Don't tell Celebrity, but I just got off the ship and I'm 30 weeks pregnant. Go ahead, flame away, but we had to use a Future Cruise Certificate (free cruise) that expires this year and couldn't take a 3 month old on the cruise. I wore baggy clothes and just played fat. I've had an uneventful pregancy and I went with my dr's blessing.

Didn't RCCL have to medevac a 28 weeks pg lady off a few weeks ago? If everything goes fine, great, but if there are problems ... we the taxpayers sure paid a bundle for her to ignore the rules when they didn't suit her.

I've had to move a cruise due to pregnancy before. It was a pain, but worth it. I went into pre-term labor that time at 25 weeks, and was on bedrest until she was born at 39 weeks.

Didn't RCCL have to medevac a 28 weeks pg lady off a few weeks ago? If everything goes fine, great, but if there are problems ... we the taxpayers sure paid a bundle for her to ignore the rules when they didn't suit her.

I've had to move a cruise due to pregnancy before. It was a pain, but worth it. I went into pre-term labor that time at 25 weeks, and was on bedrest until she was born at 39 weeks.

Why would taxpayers be responsible for her treatment and getting her off the ship?:confused:

Why would taxpayers be responsible for her treatment and getting her off the ship?:confused:

She was evacuated by the Coast Guard. The operation usually involves a helicoper, an airplane, and gas and crew for both and takes several hours.

With the recent media attention on that woman that had to be medevac-ed out, I would guess they're being a little more careful now. I know I'm the worst case scenerio, but I was having a perfectly normal pregnancy right up until the part where my water broke at 27 weeks. I am glad I was on land when that happened and not at sea. Of course everyone has to make their own decision about what they feel is best for them and I am not judging anyone else's choices. I guess I'm just saying I can see the cruise line's point of view here.

Shhhh...Don't tell Celebrity, but I just got off the ship and I'm 30 weeks pregnant. Go ahead, flame away, but we had to use a Future Cruise Certificate (free cruise) that expires this year and couldn't take a 3 month old on the cruise. I wore baggy clothes and just played fat. I've had an uneventful pregancy and I went with my dr's blessing.

I LOVE IT!! I HOPE YOU HAD A BLAST! WHEN THAT BABY COMES GOD KNOWS YOU ARE GOING TO NEED THE MEMORIES OF REST AND FUN LOL:D

I LOVE IT!! I HOPE YOU HAD A BLAST! WHEN THAT BABY COMES GOD KNOWS YOU ARE GOING TO NEED THE MEMORIES OF REST AND FUN LOL:D

We had a wonderful time, relaxing on the balcony and taking long naps. I just missed the Martini bar and the thassotherapy pool, but alas, there's always a next time.

Personally, I think the women should have been granted to board. Her brochure given to her stated 27 weeks and she had a doctor's note. When Carnival changed the policy AFTER the fact, she should have been grandfathered in. I would be so ticked off if I was her, especially since they never notified her of any changes or to look for possible changes. For Carnvial to say she should have been looking for changes online all the time before her cruise is ridiculous. No one normal does that. Only a small percentage of us come on these type of websites. Most people only go by what the brochures and documents say at the time they are given.

Did anyone notice that she wasn't even going to receive a refund until the news channel was involved. Doesn't make Carnival look very good, IMO. :rolleyes:

As far as our taxes, the 28wk mom will be charged with all the medical stuff, not us. That is why you get trip insurance or hope your own insurance pays for it. Otherwise you have a big bill you are looking at. I think if a pregnant women wants to cruise, so be it. It is a personal choice. Same with bringing babies, toddlers, kids or elderly on a cruise. Things happen. Doesn't mean you should live your life in a bubble.

Her brochure given to her stated 27 weeks and she had a doctor's note. When Carnival changed the policy AFTER the fact, she should have been grandfathered in.

I guess you didn't read the info that has come out since. Carnival changed the policy in December 2007. This lady didn't book until MAY 2008. This lady booked several months AFTER the policy change. Carnival reprinted brochures in December showing the new policy. Their website was updated for the new policy. This lady booked via a travel agent who may have given them an old brochure but this is NOT Carnival's fault.

So she thought to get a doctors note but she didn't verify with the cruise line's policy before departure? I agree what happened to her must have really been a big "bummer" however I am on the fence as to what the cruise line "owed" her if their policy was published well before she even booked the cruise.

I also had a less than normal pregnancy with my ds. It was "normal" up until the end of my 27th week and then suddenly took a turn for the worse, putting both of our lives at risk. So I also have a different perspective, having lived through that myself I can see why the cruise lines might be taking a more cautious approach with pregnant passengers. The current rate of preterm delivery is 12.7% and rising, according to (this article here) - up from 10% a few short years ago when my ds was born.

I agree what happened to her must have really been a big "bummer" however I am on the fence as to what the cruise line "owed" her if their policy was published well before she even booked the cruise.

I agree, it seems out of CCL's control that the TA did not have current literature. I think I would have been demanding my money back from the TA, not the cruise line.

Archived