Jellyfish Montego Bay

sea_u_onboard

Another poster on another thread stated that the jellyfish were bad at the end of September (Sunset Beach) and was told they are bad until Mid-October.

Does anyone know what time of the year the jellyfish start "accumulating" near the beach? Is there a jellyfish season?

Went to the web to do some research. It appears that the actual Jellyfish is the least of our worries. You have to worry about the larvae also.

I found this at http://www.divernet.com/medical/ddoc996.htm

Sea itch occurs when there is no contact with adult forms, and is caused by the microscopic larvae, which also have namatocysts. The larvae are present in the Caribbean from March to September, with peak numbers (depending on the species) being around May. The minute larvae can get beneath wetsuits. Often their nematocysts do not inject venom on contact with the skin but fire when the skin is dried or the individual showers in fresh water after exposure.

Another site states - It is thought that physical contact with a bathing suit or showering with fresh water while wearing the bathing suit is enough to cause the larvae to discharge their nematocysts. The rash and itching generally resolves in about one week but occasionally it takes several weeks to subside. Rarely fever, joint aches, headaches and weakness may occur. The diagnosis can be confused with "seaweed dermatitis" which is caused by the algae Microcoleus Lyngbyaceus that also gets trapped in the bathing suit and causes a similar skin eruption. As with other stings of the Cnidaria family washing with vinegar or applying meat tenderizer if available may neutralize the toxins. Treatment also consists of antihistamines, locally applied steroid creams and in severe cases oral steroids. Any soothing agents such as an oatmeal bath will help reduce the itching. Swimwear should be washed and heat dried before wearing as simply air-drying may not prevent further stinging the next time the suit is worn.

And from http://bmj.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/312/7036/957

These jellyfish breed in Caribbean waters from March until September, with a peak breeding season in May. Clouds of larvae can easily be washed inshore by high tides or strong winds. The larvae, at about 0.5 mm in size, are just small enough to pass through the weave of most swimwear and become trapped against the skin. Any external pressure on the larvae, or changes in osmotic pressure caused by evaporation of seawater or by the bather showering in fresh water, causes the larval stinging mechanism to fire.

So does this mean I have to take vinegar to bath in after I get out of the water?

Peak season is from May to September, and it's now October, so we should be okay. Especially since the article states that the peak is in May. If you did bring vinegar, I don't know where you would find a bathtub to bathe in. The cruise ship only provides showers in most cabins.:(

I have read a lot of threads and reviews and this is the first time I have read anything about problems with jellyfish. I think if it were a big problem we would be hearing lots of complaints here on the boards and we're not. So I think this is an isolated incident. Especially since the other reviews of Sunset Beach were really positive and upbeat. If there were a big problem with the jellyfish there or anywhere else, we would hear about it. If I were you, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Especially since the peak season is over.:)

I believe if you sprayed yourself with vinegar, there is a good chance you would still smell like vinegar even after a shower. A salt water shower or rinse in a salt water pool before a regular shower, if you must.

Ammonia and alcohol are also possiblities. In an emergency, (wo)man-made ammonia is also supposed to work. I believe the alcohol can be applied internally or externally as needed to achieve the desired results.

I've snorkled among jellyfish before with no bad results, although some varieities are worse than others and some should be avoided at all cost. If I feel anything from them, it is generally no worse than a hair being tweezed. Not sure if I have become desensitized (is that a word?) to them or not since I remember them hurting like heck when I was a kid.

I'm not familiar with the types and seasons in Jamaica. Don't think I would worry about.

I was at Sunset Beach in mid September and didn't see any jellyfish. Granted the water was pretty murky from the hurricanes, but I don't think they were there. Even if there are jellyfish when you go there, don't worry - the 2 pools there are great! We started out laying by the ocean, but quickly moved to the pool. The swim-up bars are hard to resist!

Sea U Onboard,

The jellyfish we saw (many of them, 9/26 Conquest sailing) were the clear / whitish kind. They were not the purple man of war kind, which I understand are worse.

I didn't see any clouds in the water that may have had the larvae in them, the water was really clear.

None of the three of us who went in the water had any itch or stinging problems afterwards.

Suzy

I saw a link to this on another port discussion.

Before you run out and buy, it states it has NOT been tested against Portuguese Man O' War or Box Jellyfish - the two types that you really want to avoid. The first you can easliy see, I think there is a variety of the second in the Caribbean (sea wasps?), but seem to only be a concern to night divers - it seems they can be attracted to dive lights.

I do see on this sight that the vinegar you might use to inhibit stinging of box jellyfish will activate the stings of the Man O' War.

I'm still not going to bother, me!

http://www.safesea.net/

I do assume that if there is something to be concerned about near a beach that they would put up warning signs.

We get a lot of the Sea Nettles up here in the Fl. panhandle late summer to early fall. Meat tenderizer put on the sting will help break down the protein and lessen the sting. Put it on wet skin pretty heavy and let it set. It won't prevent a sting but it helps cool it down.

Randy

Archived