snorkeling as a non-swimmer

sk84fungirl

I'm sure it sounds crazy! But I've seen so many posts that it is safe to snorkel even if you can't swim. I learned to swim about 30 years ago in high school. Needless to say, I was never strong at it.

I have never snorkeled before and thought about booking through the ship but would rather avoid that. It will likely be me and one other non-swimmer. Can you recommend a tour company or individual?

Well, I came across the name IVAR and an email address for him. Unfortunately I have misplaced it. I will have to do a search to see if I can find additional information.

Any other company suggestions for a new snorkler?

Ivar works for Hammerhead Tours, but you won't find a website for them. They book through Coral Breeze tours.

www.coralbreezetours.com

We used them in Nov 2007 and had a great time. We did the Shark/Ray Alley and coral gardens snorkel with lunch at Caye Caulker....

Good luck and tell Ivar that I said Hey!

I dont have any company recommendations... but some actual snorkeling tips...

Make sure that you kick (when wearing fins) at your hips keeping your knees stiff. Do not kick with your knees, you will tire yourself out very quickly this way.

Also, do not make any drastic movements with your head, try not to turn your head a lot in any direction or you could end up with a mouthfull of water from your snorkel.

Apply LOTS of sunscreen on your back side from head to toe!!!

Wearing a lifevest should be enough to allow you to enjoy your experience even if you are a weak swimmer.

Also be very aware of your surroundings so that you do not kick other snorkelers or be kicked by anyone else...and NOT bump into coral formations!

Just keep relaxed and you will be fine! Enjoy :D

Snorkel in a cove. If you are not a swimmer you need to avoid areas with currents. They do provide you with vests but some are blow up vests and they do not hold air real well.......:eek: In Belize you will have to deal with currents unless you go off the islands. Goff's Caye would work if you snorkel from the island not off the boat. ;)

Oh my! Now I'm a litlle nervous :o

Make some inquiries with the tour operator before booking. A reputable operator will not use blow up vests. Let them know that you are not a strong swimmer and ask what accomadations they would have for you. You should look for an operator that has a dedicated guide for the less accomplished swimmers and not bring you to areas with strong currents.

Make some inquiries with the tour operator before booking. A reputable operator will not use blow up vests. Let them know that you are not a strong swimmer and ask what accomadations they would have for you. You should look for an operator that has a dedicated guide for the less accomplished swimmers and not bring you to areas with strong currents.

I agree with above. My main concern though is to be prepared for what you will encounter. We are not real strong swimmers but had no problem in Belize. There was a definite current that pulled you if you were just looking. I just think that if you do not swim a cove with a really good vest will be a must. I believe in planning ahead so you can avoid potential problems. PS This operator was booked through the cruise lines and other than the vest I was really happy with the tour.

• 4 weeks later...

I was really nervous, but wanted to try and snorkled for the first time in Grand Turk in April. They gave me a blow up vest that I inflated completely and they gave me a pool noodle too. At first I was scared and tried to wrap the noodle under my arms and snorkle that way. THis is impossible as it forces your head straight down and you swallow sea water. Of course I panicked and DH rolled his eyes (easy for him as he's a strong swimmer). Then I figured out that if I hold the noodle out with my arms straight out in front of me, I felt safe and stayed on the surface. I did stay close to the boat and away from other swimmers until I felt very comfortable.

I was really nervous, but wanted to try and snorkled for the first time in Grand Turk in April. They gave me a blow up vest that I inflated completely and they gave me a pool noodle too. At first I was scared and tried to wrap the noodle under my arms and snorkle that way. THis is impossible as it forces your head straight down and you swallow sea water. Of course I panicked and DH rolled his eyes (easy for him as he's a strong swimmer). Then I figured out that if I hold the noodle out with my arms straight out in front of me, I felt safe and stayed on the surface. I did stay close to the boat and away from other swimmers until I felt very comfortable.

Thanks for the insight. I still do not have plans for Belize. Have to figure out something. I need to research the ship's outing as I thought they have one for non-swimmers. Maybe not. I'll figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Oh my! Now I'm a litlle nervous :o

I am not a swimmer, and I learned to snorkle in Cozumel at a tour booked on the ship. I walked in from shore, and one of the young men that worked there could see I was a bit leery, and he stayed right with me which helped my confidence a lot. We are going to Belize in November and will do the cave tubing. I did tubing in Jamaica awhile back, and it was a blast!

We have a non-swimmer in our travel crowd and he snorkels with us, even in deep water.

2 things that help:

1. Book a guided snorkel trip. Not a 'plop in the water off the end of the boat' snorkel. You should have 2 guides in the water with your group- one at the head & one at the end to steer the crowd and also help point out fun stuff to see! We found this to be very important for not only weak swimmers but I think for children as well. I have been on non-guided snorkels with kids/weak swimmers/inexperienced snorkelers and the difference was incredible.

2. Bring your own life vest. You can find the small thin ones. Don't rely on the blow up ones that the snorkel operators have. Yes, they take up room in your luggage. But you would probably feel more secure. I pack my own set of snorkel gear for 2 people including fins, so if I can do that, you can get a vest you like and pack that. :p

Other things to remember- like others have said, sunscreen or a non-white t-shirt help. Salt water is very bouyant, so floating is easy! Think of yourself as laying flat in the water with your face down.. You shouldn't have your legs way down in the water. Uses more energy, and you might startle yourself by brushing into a person or something. Practice having your face in the water and breathing through the snorkel. If you haven't done it before, it is weird!!

I agree with everyone else and stress the importance of telling the operator that you and your friend are first time snorkelers and not strong swimmers. A reputable operator will make sure they are keeping an eye on you. Also someone stays on the boat and watches the snorkelers from above and alerts the guides in water of anything they need to know. Enjoy!

Pam

I agree with everyone else and stress the importance of telling the operator that you and your friend are first time snorkelers and not strong swimmers. A reputable operator will make sure they are keeping an eye on you. Also someone stays on the boat and watches the snorkelers from above and alerts the guides in water of anything they need to know. Enjoy!

Pam

Thank you all so much. We're sitting here talking know and think we will book through the ship. This will allow us to go early and come back and change to hook up with those in our party that will not snorkel.

I'm excited.

Does anyone know of a place to purchase blow up vests? I live in Eastern, Ontario, but am willing to purchase online. We own the rest of the equipment, but would like to order a couple of vests, UNLESS we can be certain of getting them on excursions.

I am not a strong swimmer either. I prefer to snorkel either in a cove/bay area or where I can walk into from the shore. If we're off a boat with waves then I stay in the boat.

I wouldn't recommend bringing your own vest. The blow up snorkel vests that most operators use are just fine. The salt water provides alot of natural bouyancy. Can you float? If so, all you do, is blow up your vest, lay down flat, relax and kick. Pretty easy. The important thing is to be able to relax and to take easy deep breaths and to not panic. I think finding a good operator is the key, one who can give you some good pointers and coaching.

The other thing, although I wouldn't bother bringing your own vest...I would highly recommend bringing your own snorkel. The new ones that you can buy keep water from flowing into the top of the tube if a wave goes by or your head goes in a bit deeper. The snorkels from the tour operators are the basic kind usually with just an open end on top.

Does anyone know of a place to purchase blow up vests? I live in Eastern, Ontario, but am willing to purchase online. We own the rest of the equipment, but would like to order a couple of vests, UNLESS we can be certain of getting them on excursions.

Every operator I have been with has them due to liablity issues.

We did buy snorkel vests of our own for use when we were not with an organized tour such as when going to a beach.

I got them for a great price on ebay. Just use the key words, snorkel vest.

Archived