Recent Weather???

CocoKai

I know the weather can change in a minute but what have recent cruisers found? We leave on Sunday (6th) and the packing nightmare is about to begin. My suitcase is use to tropical destinations and I'm fearing it won't have the capacity for Alaska.

The Radiance of the Seas southbound which left Seward on June 13th had near perfect weather. It was chilly but skies were clear every day except the last one which was a sea day on the Inside Passage. I packed way too many rain things which I didn't use. If it had been raining though I would've needed everything. My lined rain jacket was not warm enough for the two whale watches we did. My daughter and I caught bad head colds because we weren't wrapped up enough. Then again we sat outside on the boats the entire time which maybe wasn't so smart.

Next year, I'm not taking so much stuff. I was surprised at the good deals you could find on sweatshirts, lined jackets etc in Anchorage and all of the ports, especially Ketchikan. I bought a great lined waterproof jacket in Ketchikan. You can probably buy anything you need.

P.S.-The weather forecast for us showed rain every day!

We were on the Golden last week, June 13-21, Seattle, Juneau, Skagway, Tracy Arm, Ketchikan, Victoria, and with the exception of rain and a dreary day when we cruised through Tracy Arm, the weather was perfect. But leave the bathingsuit home, and bring lots of polar fleece. I read all the boards before we left, and the layer, layer, layer info is PERFECT. I posted a review...you might want to glance at it. Roll Call/Princess/Golden/Alaska 6-13. Have a wonderful time, and I hope the weather is ideal for you as it was for us.

We got back last night. We had great weather except for Ketchikan where it just rained and rained.... everywhere seemed to be about 50 degrees. I can't imagine wearing shorts or short sleeved shirts anywhere.. basicly wore cords a long sleeve shirt with a sweater over it... Got by some with just a fleece jacket, but was very happy to have our Lands end water resistant jackets with fleece linings. It was windy and cold up by the glaciers.... Happy we had hats and gloves, but didn't wear the scarves. We had bought rain suits that we didn't wear at all.

I know the weather can change in a minute but what have recent cruisers found? We leave on Sunday (6th) and the packing nightmare is about to begin. My suitcase is use to tropical destinations and I'm fearing it won't have the capacity for Alaska.

Plan and pack for 55 degree weather with some rain. In Anchorage, I don't believe I have seen 70 yet, though someone did state it reached 70 once this year. My tomatoe plants froze last week.

Thanks for the reports. Seeing how it was 103 degrees at the beach in Santa Cruz, CA last week, I'll look forward to some cooler air with a lot less smoke!!!

The air (and water) is pure and clean...as a NYC person, it was a welcomed relief!!!

Thanks for the reports. Seeing how it was 103 degrees at the beach in Santa Cruz, CA last week, I'll look forward to some cooler air with a lot less smoke!!!

Wow! I was up at Laguna Seca 2 years ago (or was it 3?) It was 105 at the track and in the 90's on Cannery Row! It sounds like you're having a rerun with fires added. I hope they are extinguished soon.

Last night there was a spectacular sunset down here in OC; we really enjoyed it until we heard it was due to smoke from all the fires!

Went down to Monterey/Carmel yesterday hoping to find cleaner air that didn't reek of smoke.....I think it was worse down there with the Big Sir fire. Went to Palo Alto/Stanford today and it was awful in the entire Bay Area. Literally, you can not see to each mountain range. We usually have zero air pollution on the coast so I am looking forward to filling my lungs with clean Alaskan air, even if it's 50 degrees and raining.

Hi - We're from Santa Cruz, too, and missed the heat wave while on our trip to Alaska. I was very glad for the long johns, warm jackets, hats and gloves, especially out on the deck during College Fjord and Glacier Bay.

Sailed on the Coral June 16-23 and we had spectacular weather. Virtually no rain, except for a sprinkle in Juneau that lasted a couple of minutes and light drizzle driving from Anchorage to Seward. Days were partially sunny and partially cloudy. Somewhat misty in Misty Fjords. lol.

Very comfortable wearing jeans, a short sleeve t-shirt, with polar fleece and windbreaker. Often had windbreaker off with just polar fleece on. Caught some warm weather in Juneau and wore t-shirt for a while and then went back to polar fleece. Seemed to have layers on and off, often within the same hour. In Juneau on top of the glacier was very comfortable wearing jeans, one polar fleece, windbreaker, leather gloves and a baseball type hat.

Had beautiful sunny day on sea day on way to Vancouver. Many people actually were in pools and hot tubs.

Prior to cruise on land had some very warm weather in Denali, felt low 70s and sun.

Don't forget some "off" just in case and even some sunscreen.

I would say 2 to 3 pairs of jeans, two polar fleece, windbreaker, thermal type longsleeve t-shirt for glacier days and perhaps an extra fleece or sweatshirt that would fit under jacket (two fleeces under windbreaker), but could always remove one for glacier viewing days or Kenai Fjords Tour to double up should you want to stay outside for long periods. Light weight thermal underwear under pants or heavy panty hose for glacier viewing days or Kenai Fjords, a couple of pair of casual pants and a couple of nice tops for evening and one or two somewhat dressier outfits for formal ngiht. Perhaps one bathing suit. Comfortable walking shoes (i.e., walking sneakers), an extra pair of comfortable shoes, pair of dress shoes and maybe pair of nice sandals for evenings on ship. A lightweight winter hat that covers ears for glacier viewing days.

Of course, I packed too much, but this is what I mostly wound up wearing. Hope this helps.

We also are leaving Seattle on the 6th. We have been told even if the weather is good you will probably need a rain coat or slicker. This is our first Alaska cruise...only tropical up to now. I think I will bring jeans, and a sweatshirt just in case. This will be a difficult pack.

lovs2cruise: Thanks for packing for me!!!! I love the list. Polar fleece takes up a lot of real estate in the 'ole suitcase.

By polar fleece, I mean something that you would buy in sporting goods store by Columbia or something similar. They weren't that bulky; similar in weight to a sweat shirt. In fact, a sweat shirt would probably do just fine if it is a heavy enough one.

Take the bulkiest one on the plane with you. Airlines allow you to have an outer garment (like a coat); a personal item (like a handbag, camera bag, small back pack and a carry-on. You are also entitled to carry a book and an umbrella. With changing luggage rules we will be carrying more of our luggage loose by hand onto the plane. lol

Also, most important don't forget digital camera, preferrably with super zoom (10X - 12X) and large memory card.; extra batteries. We took in excess of 900 photos without even realizing. Everywhere you turn breathtaking scenary.

Also, binoculars. Many people on these boards tell you that you need waterproof binos. Mine were not, but rather the Nikon 8X Travelite binoculars and they are really light. They never fogged and worked out perfectly. They were so light that I had them on my neck constantly, even when we went to dinner. They were my jewelry for the week. lol

Before we left home I bought waterproof spray at Dick's Sporting Goods and sprayed our shoes 2 to 3 coats, sprayed our jeans and sprayed our windbreakers. I also brought with me a couple of the folding umbrellas. I bought the $2.00 disposable rain ponchos also and always had them in the small back pack that we carried with us during the day. Maybe this is why we didn't have rain. lol

Have a great time!!!!

Archived