Southwest Airlines - booking through Jan 9, 2009

We got ours! I'm amazed at how quickly the price jumped after booking! About 15 minutes after booking, I looked again and now the same flight would cost me more than $90 per person more. Glad I was chained to my computer this morning and so grateful I had the heads up on Cruise Critic the other day about them opening today!

Melissa

Southwest Airlines is now booking through January 9, 2009!:D

Earlier this morning..they still had October, 30, 2008,

on their web site...

I read your post and, went to Southwest Airlines web site again,

and, this is what I saw, just now....

Accepting reservations through October 30, 2008

Wonder why the change is not here yet?

I don't know why you aren't seeing the new schedule, but it is there! I don't know if this is pertinent or not, but I use "DING" which is a great little SW Airline program. Maybe download it and then see if you see the schedule!

Maybe refresh your screen?:confused:

Hamburg Avon Lady: I did compare the two flights and thought that SW and JetBlue were very close in pricing. One thing stood out however. SW has non-stop flights whereas JetBlue you'll need to connect. In January I'd be a little concerned about connecting flights, especially if you're connecting in JFK!

We use our RapidRewards coupons and get free airfare on SW so this is not an issue for us. :D

Maybe it's just the airlines from my area (Milw/Chicago) that have raised the rates to Ft. Lauderdale. But why just this airport??? Oh well...guess I should just be happy with the cruise out of Tampa. But I thought the Navigator would be better. I haven't booked yet though so need to get going on that.

Glad to hear that Southwest has opened the dates up as I'm trying to get something going for Denver to Ft Lauderdale in Nov. If only we had Jet Blue out of here!

But we also just booked a trip to NJ / VT in a month on United and GOOD LORD THESE PRICES ARE INSANE!

and the checked baggage fee....psssshhhh.

Ok, I'm over it. Time to check the Southwest website!

edit..... $989 for two people! *faint*

Thanks for the head's up. I'm waiting patiently for the bookings to open for April '09. Maybe late summer I'm thinking--hoping...:)

Well, I'm waiting IMPATIENTLY for the bookings to open for April '09!:D

...Does anyone know for sure when that will be?

Bonnie, the SW bookings for April '09 probably won't open until December or January. If you look at the SW website, go under "Travel Tools" and you'll find the dates when the next round of bookings will open. Here are the next ones:

"Travel Tools

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 9, 2009. On August 21, we plan to open the schedule for purchase through March 6, 2009. This date is subject to change. Please check back frequently."

Phew.. I'm going to be quietly happy that we scooped a good price for our San Juan flights next January. We're flying AirTran, which I don't know a lot about other than they'll get us there the day before. Still, we came up under $2k round trip for 4 so I won't complain even if they tie me to a wing!

Bonnie, the SW bookings for April '09 probably won't open until December or January. If you look at the SW website, go under "Travel Tools" and you'll find the dates when the next round of bookings will open. Here are the next ones:

"Travel Tools

We are currently accepting air reservations through January 9, 2009. On August 21, we plan to open the schedule for purchase through March 6, 2009. This date is subject to change. Please check back frequently."

Thank you for the heads up! I may not be able to wait that long. :( We will be travelling over Easter week, so I doubt there will be any deals anyway! :p I may have to go ahead and book with American Airlines now. So, Tinkerme1, did I notice that you are a fan of Monarch? I will be sailing on her in August! :D

I'd been patiently waiting for the new schedule so I could use our 2 free SW tickets from Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale 12/12, returning 12/21. I got on line within 1 hour of their postiing the new schedule, and they were already out of the "free" seats on 12/21 :rolleyes: -- so we get to go free 12/12 but have to pay for our return on 12/21 -- oh, well -- still a savings of over $400:cool:

I'd been patiently waiting for the new schedule so I could use our 2 free SW tickets from Dallas to Ft. Lauderdale 12/12, returning 12/21. I got on line within 1 hour of their postiing the new schedule, and they were already out of the "free" seats on 12/21 :rolleyes: -- so we get to go free 12/12 but have to pay for our return on 12/21 -- oh, well -- still a savings of over $400:cool:

betsy, I have a question about award tickets. I just used one today for a R/T to Tampa but haven't used one on SWA since the program changed a few years ago....

Can you still the use the other half of your award ticket on another flight, since it is split in to 2 one ways...or is it now used up?

Or can you can keep checking on your 12/21 flight to see if "award" seats might open up? Could you use it then and apply your purchased flights to ticketless travel funds?

I am still puzzling out their new (to me) awards program. Thanks. :)

Archived