Cabins to avoid?

Hi,

As a first time cruiser I was wondering if there are any particular cabins that should be avoided because of problems with noise, etc.

Hi,

Sure, some are better than others - but specifics will depend on the ship you plan on cruising aboard.

In general:

Cabins directly underneath the top deck can be exposed to noise from activity above.

Cabins directly above or below busy public areas (theatre, dining rooms, buffet etc) can be exposed to noise.

Cabins close to elevators and other amenities can have extra traffic walking past the cabin.

Cabins at either end of the ship are prone to extra movement in rough seas.

Cabins at the bow of the ship below the promenade deck may be exposed to noise when tying up or anchoring.

I would suggest you look at the deck plans to check out cabin locations relative to what is above, below and around. When booking, you may need to pay a little extra to pick a specific cabin, and specify "no upgrades" to secure the cabin of your choice. Booking a cheaper guarantee will result in you being allocated a cabin anywhere in that category or above, so the location of your assigned cabin will be luck of the draw.

I reckon as long as your on a ship......who cares where:p :D

Yes, Karen is correct. It is better to be onboard in any cabin than ashore.

The guarantee fares allow P&O a lot more flexibility when taking bookings to fill the ship, and it gives you the chance to cruise at a cheaper price. Guarantee bookings do not necessarily mean that you will get a bad cabin - just that you do not get to choose which one.

If you have a specific concern with noise or ship movement, pick out a cabin from the deck plan and ask your T\A how much extra it would cost to upgrade your booking to that cabin. For every $100 extra you spend on your cabin, you will have $100 less pocket money to spend aboard (or 10 less cocktails to drink) :)

The midships cabins on Empress Deck on Pacific Sun are right under the galley, so there is sometimes a bit of noise from above, particularly early in the morning as they start preparations for breakfast. Having said that, on a 10 night cruise we only noticed it maybe one or two mornings, it soon becomes part of the background noice.

Kym

We had cabin U180 on Upper deck on the Pacific Sun. Great spot, out of the way of lifts, people walking by or gathering in common areas. It was pretty quiet there most of the time. The only complaint I could make would be that the cabin steward we had left a bit to be desired. She put in the minimum amount of work required and that was it. I have heard that her contract has ended now, so hopefully her replacement knows how to make towel animals LOL! :D

We had cabin U180 on Upper deck on the Pacific Sun. Great spot, out of the way of lifts, people walking by or gathering in common areas. It was pretty quiet there most of the time. The only complaint I could make would be that the cabin steward we had left a bit to be desired. She put in the minimum amount of work required and that was it. I have heard that her contract has ended now, so hopefully her replacement knows how to make towel animals LOL! :D

Hi Minxy,

We were in U177, and our friends were over the otherside. We may have had the same steward, as you would have been just accross from us. Our cabin steward was nice enough but no extras, she just did what needed to be done and certainly no towel animals. My friends on the other side had a fantastic cabin steward, I wanted to swap sides as it was always fun over there. It really does make all the difference if your cabin steward is friendly,happy and makes the extra effort.

We had a rattle in our cabin but other than that it was fine.

Glenda

Archived