Earliest time for flight- Galveston?

warram

We will arrive in Galveston on RCCL Voyager of the Seas at 7 am on Sunday, December 14. If we plan to carry our own luggage off the ship, and hop in the first cab we find, do you think we could make an 11 am flight out of Hobby? Has anyone flown out this early?

Guest carlogesualdo

I would not recommend it. We were delayed a bit coming into port on our mid-December cruise because of fog. We had some wicked-nasty thunderstorms the day before out at sea. You never know what's going to happen and unless you're flying Southwest, the airlines are showing no sympathy if you miss your flight. Also, if you miss your flight, you're going to have a hard time getting onto a later flight because so many of them are flying full these days. Flying standby is so much more difficult.

I also don't recommend flying in the morning of embarkation. Because of potential weather delays, airline bankruptcies, and grannies accidentally driving onto runways and causing international terrorist scares, you want to leave yourself some wiggle room. You should consider flying in the day before if at all possible. That way, there's less risk you'll miss embarkation in Galveston. You'd hate to have to go running back to the airport in Houston only to try to catch another flight to the first port. What a mess!

I agree that you will be cutting it close. Don't forget not only is it around a 45minute drive to Hobby you would also have to be checked in ect. to make your flight. Also you may want to check the galveston activities and find out if this is a weekend when they are doing Dickens on the Strand. (if that is still going on) If it is there will be LOTS of traffic to deal with. Also, one year when we lived down there a cold snap came through when they had Dickens on the Strand and the causeway froze over stranding everyone on the island--they aren't prepared for ice! JMHO, try and get a later flight!

I'll second everyone's opinion, but keep in mind, I haven't been to Galveston or Houston yet. My cruise is in a week, and I'm a nervous wreck about catching a 2:30 p.m. flight out of Hobby! :eek:

I don't think I'd risk it, especially in December when weather can be iffy.

JMO

... Also you may want to check the galveston activities and find out if this is a weekend when they are doing Dickens on the Strand. (if that is still going on) If it is there will be LOTS of traffic to deal with. Also, one year when we lived down there a cold snap came through when they had Dickens on the Strand and the causeway froze over stranding everyone on the island--they aren't prepared for ice!...

Dickens on the Strand is usually the first week-end in December. And yep, ice or snow can be a problem down here because we are not used to it. If we have it, it is usually in Jan or Feb our coldest months.

It snowed on Christmas Eve a few years ago for the first time I know of and there was

PANIC IN THE STREETS!

** 05.gifJust kidding! Most of us do not know how to drive in it since we do not see it often. **

Kat 110105_emYA11_prv.gif

However, Host Kat, wasn't that Christmas Eve snowfall magical????...

Yes it was!!

I was in Santa Fe, TX at a family gathering. As different ones showed up from Galveston, League City, Houston, etc., we all had tales to tell of how strange things looked covered with snow and what a miracle it was to have it happen on Christmas Eve. We all (young ones as well as us old folks) had a blast having one heck of a snowball fight and building a small snowman. I think most of the little ones were more excited about that than opening presents! I felt so sorry for the little ones that thought it would be like that every Christmas when they mentioned their disappointment the following year. Many of my childhood Christmas memories are outside wearing shorts playing with new toys from Santa!

Patiently waiting and hoping someday, someway, somehow I will have a second "White" Christmas...

Kat 020105_emYA11_prv.gif

Archived