How are the Princess dive excursions?

potchak

DH and I are thinking about going on the Ruby Princess in November, and the itinerary includes Ocho rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Princess Cays. We thought we would use the Princess excursions for the diving tours for convenience. We figured we would dive in all them with the exception of Princess Cays. Princess Cays seems awfully expensive for a 1 tank dive at $119/pp.

How is Princess's pricing in Cozumel for the 3 tank dive and in Grand Cayman for 2 tank? Their website only lists pricing for Ocho Rios and Princess Cays (and those only say "starting at").

It appears they use New Waves for Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but not sure who else they use. Any information you all can provide would be greatly appreciated!

We have booked several dive trips through Princess, but were burned last November when they cancelled the diving in Turks & Cacos because of too few divers. We should have booked directly with the dive operator because there was room but because they didn't think we were coming they didn't wait for us. Now the only time we book through the ship is when we are in port a short time. "New Waves" is what Princess calls all their dive or snorkel excursions -- that's not a dive operator. You will probably have to dive with the ship at Princess Cays, but all the other stops have alternatives worth considering. We loved Wall to Wall http://www.walltowalldiving.com in Grand Cayman. They picked us up just a block or so from the pier. They won't charge you if the ship doesn't show up, and they had just 6 divers on the boat. Check this board for recommendations on Cozumel -- lots to choose from but avoid Aldora divers. I have heard good things about whichever operator Princess uses in Cozumel, and I should think there would be plenty of folks on the ship planning on diving there. We've never dove in Jamaica so can't help you with that one.

DH and I are thinking about going on the Ruby Princess in November, and the itinerary includes Ocho rios, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Princess Cays. We thought we would use the Princess excursions for the diving tours for convenience. We figured we would dive in all them with the exception of Princess Cays. Princess Cays seems awfully expensive for a 1 tank dive at $119/pp.

How is Princess's pricing in Cozumel for the 3 tank dive and in Grand Cayman for 2 tank? Their website only lists pricing for Ocho Rios and Princess Cays (and those only say "starting at").

It appears they use New Waves for Cozumel and Grand Cayman, but not sure who else they use. Any information you all can provide would be greatly appreciated!

My DD and DH did the dive at Princess Cays and both said that it was not worth it.

Actually, "New Waves" is just the name Princess gives their dive excursions, it is not the name of an actual dive operation. For Cozumel, it is likely they use Sand Dollar Sports. If you go with the ship's excursion there, expect a slow larger boat with a large group of divers. Personally, I'd prefer a small fast boat operator in Cozumel.

• 4 months later...

I did the Princess dive at Princess Cays and would say it was not worth the $119 fee for one dive. Did not see much at all, OK it was a dive but I have seen much more on every other dive in location - such as Egypt (the best), Cozumel, Bonaire, Dominica, Turkey

Archived