Booking group on Pearl and need advice/ booking/scenery/motion sicknesss.

melpollard

First of all, I've been a bit seasick on my last two cruises. Should I stay midship on the Pearl or will it matter, as it is much larger than our last two ships.

Booking a group of at least eight cabins for friends/family through a travel agent. Should I ask for guaranteed or should I pick our cabins? We would like to be on one floor or on adjacent floors so we can go up or down just one flight of stairs. Thinking of asking for guaranteed with midship. Would that work with a group? We will have inside, outside, and balcony cabins within the group.

Would there be much difference in scenery from a May 31st to a June 6th sailing? I've heard May is the best time to go but didn't know if that week would make much difference (except in the price).

Thank you for your advice.

First of all, I've been a bit seasick on my last two cruises. Should I stay midship on the Pearl or will it matter, as it is much larger than our last two ships.

Mid ship is the best for motion.

Booking a group of at least eight cabins for friends/family through a travel agent. Should I ask for guaranteed or should I pick our cabins? We would like to be on one floor or on adjacent floors so we can go up or down just one flight of stairs. Thinking of asking for guaranteed with midship. Would that work with a group? We will have inside, outside, and balcony cabins within the group.

I'd book the rooms you want. Doubt they will guarantee midship?:confused:

Would there be much difference in scenery from a May 31st to a June 6th sailing? I've heard May is the best time to go but didn't know if that week would make much difference (except in the price).

There will be no difference a week a part.;)

Enjoy your cruise!:D

If you are prone to seasickness, I would book midship or head down/up to midship (atrium) when you are seasick.

IMHO, if I were booking 8 or more cabins and we all wanted to be together, I would pick the cabins. Guarantee cabins, I would think you could be all spread out.

Can't help with scenery..good luck:)

I would stay mid-ship to avoid the sea sickness. My mother is prone to sea sickness and we have always stayed midship on higher decks. (she says the water looks further away and that helps her.)

As far as secenery, it doesn't much matter that close together. The crowds, especially children, may be smaller in May than in June. (Many children are still in school until June 1-6 and parents are hesitant to pull kids out at the end of the year due to final exams.)

As far as cabins: I would not do guarantee with that number of cabins. You will end up spread out all over the ship!

The other issue is that the balcony cabins tend to be on Decks 9-10-11, while the "outside" cabins are generally down on Decks 4-5. There are no outsides which are not balcony's on the upper decks. The "outsides" on Deck 8 are "obstructed view," which means that there is a lifeboat in your way. In order to get that mix of cabins, you will be spread all over the ship. I would either get the outside cabin people to move up to balcony or the balcony people to move down to ocean view if you don't want seperated. (Insides are not an issue, they are on every deck.)

I would strongly urge some balcony cabins for Alaska. It is so much nicer to sit on your balcony for the Galcier Bay part of the trip than to fight the masses up on deck. You simply turn your room t.v. on and turn up the volume to hear the Park Ranger's speech as you sail through Glacier Bay.

Here is a link to the Deck plans for the Pearl: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/deckplan.html?shipCode=PEARL

we had rough seas, leaving seattle in '06...just lasted the 1st night.

my nieces used to have problems with motion sickness, she has her patch and was great on the cruise..no problems at all.

the inside passage is not as protected as some think it is...

if you book a group of cabins and want to be close, don't go GTY. with GTY, your cabins would be where NCL decided to put you...anywhere on the ship from that catagory. plus, you can't ask for a "midship" gty, you can't ask for anything when you book a gty, totally at the mercy of the cruiseline.

we booked a balcony (NCL star to alaska), we had FIL in an cabin across the hall (he got to enjoy our balcony). SIL booked a GTY inside cabin, at the last minute got a cabin around the corner from us...but neice booked at oceanview, she got deck 8 (we were on deck 10) and she was way aft. had leave messages on her phone to meet up with them. much easier to have cabins near each other.

Archived