Caribbean Princess Engine Problems

David21

I was on the May 26 CB cruise and there were certainly no engine problems then.

I wonder if the other poster who suggested that there was a problem off Grand Turk realizes that often a pilot is on board to "direct" the ship until well away from the port, at which point they disembark. It could be the brief "pause" he noted was due to that....:confused:

I don't think that was the reason. But you never know. Here is the link to the the review I was talking about before.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=41645

We were on the 6/13 cruise. We were in an aft cabin on Dolphin, and about 2 am (we were still up) the ship started shaking and we heard over the loud speaker for the assessment crew to come to come to level 1, zone 5.

From my understanding, that is part of the engine room. After an hour, we heard another loud speaker message for the crew to stand down. Maybe we too had an engine problem. I could not get a straight answer from anyone, other than my daughter who was in the disco and when the first announcement came over, the crew all ran. So it must have been something important.

The ship never stopped and maybe was a little slower after.

We were on route back to NY, so we never missed any ports. We did come into Grand Turk an hour later the day before. Maybe they were also having problems earlier.

The only thing that I know was wrong with the ship during my week was the air conditioning or lack of it. It was very warm all over the ship. Our cabin always seemed too warm. Not the normal. Usually you need a jacket.

I just booked the 5/17/09 cruise, I look forward to the changes and improvements they will be making.

newfimom

I don't think that was the reason. But you never know. Here is the link to the the review I was talking about before.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=41645

I was with Cruisemom on the May 26th sailing also and agree with her thoughts. That review is from the beginning of May while still sailing from FLL. :)

I was with Cruisemom on the May 26th sailing also and agree with her thoughts. That review is from the beginning of May while still sailing from FLL. :)

Thats correct. What I was saying before that was People are upset over this because Princess knew before this. Thats all. They knew about the engine problems back in may when it happened then, and didn't do anything about it. Now they got a ship that moves at a snails pace.

Im sailing July 10th and so far I see no itinerary changes on my personalizer.

We depart at 5pm, at sea, Bermuda 8-5, at sea, PR 8am-11pm, StT 8-4, Grand Turk 1-7, at sea, at sea, home -7:15am.

Now to see if it changes while the 7/1 sailing takes place. I do hope they fix this problem completely. Can they really fix something like this with only a few hours in port? Is it like putting a band aid on something when it really needs an overhual.

Their cancellation of the scheduled drydock in the spring is obviously taking a toll.

This is worrisome to say the least.

We are scheduled to be on the CB for a full 21 days starting Oct. 26 out of Brooklyn. That's a long way off, but already people are talking on our CC thread about maybe Princess letting the ship limp through the season until repositioning time, which I think is where we fit in. In any event, I hope people who are just getting off will post here and keep us current on the health of the ship.

When my daughter returns for her honeymoon tomorrow on the CB I will post whatever she tells me. As far as I know right now is that they

will never make it back in time in the morning as they are going very

slow right now. They are not telling them much as of yet but I am sure

they will be making an annoucement shortly as I am sure many people

have flights. For my daughter she is just taking a taxi so she doesn't care.

Will keep you posted.

I also noticed they took down the live cruise cam. Strange.

Dave

Hmmm, Oct 26 is a long way off, as was mentioned before a similar situation occurred withthe Grand earlier this year, this is either something that will be fixed in port or not, but i doubt if they are unable to fix it in a scheduled stop that they will let it go that long......this ship is scheduled for a month and a half of canada and new england sailings before that and I can't imagine her struggling out to Halifax etc with an engine issue.

Just think of it as a "Green" cruise..burning less fuel :).

hmm..maybe they should refund the fuel surcharge haha

Doing anything with a bad engine is the farthest you can get from being "GREEN"

The other engines are being pushed to make up for the loss and thus putting out more exhaust burning more fuel etc etc...

Stressing themselves out risking damage to them.

Basically 6 engines puring along is efficient and green as you can get, 5 engines being pushed to make up for the loss of an engine is bad.

To aide in the understandings of this, you see that running on 5 engines being pushed can't equal 6 ergo the ports cut off and times increased to get places.

They are using MORE fuel on 5 engines not less. It is in Princess's best interest to get that engine fixed asap it is by no means saving them money in any aspect.

Hi Everyone:

Just got another email from my youngest daughter - she said she is so

scared. The seas are very rough and the ship is rocking alot and people are sick. I feel so bad for her.

Dave

Hi Everyone:

scared. The seas are very rough and the ship is rocking alot and people are sick. I feel so bad for her.

Dave

Tell her to hang in there.........some rough seas coming up from Bermuda the last couple of days!!

Tell her to think of it as an adventure:D

Dave,

I would tell your daughter not to worry, she will be fine if she can tolerate the rocking. I looked at the web cam several times today and the seas are very rough. I am sure that since the ship is traveling slower than normal, the crew can't fully utilize their stabilizers or it will be slowed down further. It also looks from the web cam like the ship is sailing into the wind.

I wish her the best of luck. Tomorrow she will be on dry land!

Thanks - She's my baby girl and she is so nervous - She said the ship

keeps tilting. I'm been on over 70 cruises and once in a Hurricane so I know what it's like but it doesn't bother me. But as a FATHER you know

what's it's like when you child is nervous not matter how old (22) they are. Thank god they had a great 8 days at least. I told her to just

stay in the cabin and lay down but she is so scared.

I bet the ship gets in real late tomorrow, I am so curious for tomorrow.

I hope all you guys sailing tomorrow sail on time. I know you are all looking forward to this trip.

Happy Sailings.

Dave

My poor little girl..............

Hi Everyone:

Atlantic Ocean is rarely calm not like the waters in the Caribbean.

I am sure she felt it going out as well. Ship swaying side by side.

No need to worry, everything will be just fine.

caribbean_bridge.jpg

If the ship is trying to make best time as possible with propulsion/engine problems, the stabilizers may be pulled in. May be a little rockier than usual but certainly still safe.

We were on CB in December with 18ft swells and high winds. Thanks to meclazine, didn't get sick but many people were.

Thanks - She's my baby girl and she is so nervous - She said the ship

keeps tilting. I'm been on over 70 cruises and once in a Hurricane so I know what it's like but it doesn't bother me. But as a FATHER you know

what's it's like when you child is nervous not matter how old (22) they are. Thank god they had a great 8 days at least. I told her to just

stay in the cabin and lay down but she is so scared.

I bet the ship gets in real late tomorrow, I am so curious for tomorrow.

I hope all you guys sailing tomorrow sail on time. I know you are all looking forward to this trip.

Happy Sailings.

Dave

My poor little girl..............

David,

I know just how you feel. It's so hard when you can't be there to help calm them. Please know that she will be OK. My little girl has been working on cruise ships for 3 years now. When she first went out I was always checking to see if the weather was bad, if the seas were rough, looking for port web cams to make sure they got in OK. Once she was attacked by a monkey, yes I said a monkey, onboard (not on Princess). She was pretty freaked out and all I wanted to do was jump on a plane and go get her. Everything turned out OK, but I really do understand how you are feeling right now.

how can the ship make the decision to leave an hour earlier just over 24 hours before sailing? i am not on the july 1st sailing, but just thinking- what happens to anyone who booked princess air who are getting into laguardia late that 4pm might be pushing it? i find it hard to believe princess can make that decision without any notice...

Sorry but I don't understand how you are saying the ship is leaving earlier.

That never happens. I am sorry but I thinking you are playing with people and don't find it funny for them. I've been on over 70 cruises and they don't move up the time the day before. And with the ship going slower coming home they would NEVER move up the time. So I don't know why you would get off joking with people who are concerned about their July 1st cruise as it is. Anyone sailing tomorrow I am sure the time is still 5PM as they would never move the time up a day early specially when they are going slow with a broken engine. So please stop the lies.

Dave

Dave,

1st it is great all the posting directly from the ship and it is appreciated. But to call someone an outright liar when you don't know the facts is inexcusable.

When Princess changed the itinerary for the sailing tommorrow they infact moved up the departure time to 4pm. So I think you owe an apology to BIGGUY who is on the same sailing as I and knows what he is talking about.

Thanks again for all your work

Alan

Sorry but I don't understand how you are saying the ship is leaving earlier.

That never happens. I am sorry but I thinking you are playing with people and don't find it funny for them. I've been on over 70 cruises and they don't move up the time the day before. And with the ship going slower coming home they would NEVER move up the time. So I don't know why you would get off joking with people who are concerned about their July 1st cruise as it is. Anyone sailing tomorrow I am sure the time is still 5PM as they would never move the time up a day early specially when they are going slow with a broken engine. So please stop the lies.

Dave

That's a little harsh, don't you think? Perhaps the OP is on tomorrow's sailing and received notice from Princess of the early departure? Logistically, it would be difficult to change the departure time but they do it at ports of call all the time. I don't think you are right to call the OP a liar and accuse him of playing with people. What would be his motive?

Sorry I didn't see your post Alan before I posted a reply :) It is good you clarified the issue. Hope you guys have a wonderful cruise! My mother is on the CB now and I will sail her at the end of August.

Archived