? Proper Attire for Black&White/Masquerade/Victoriana/Royal Ascot Balls

neeny

:confused: Please explain the proper ladies "attire" for the many balls - Black and White - Masquerade - Victoriana - Big Band - Royal Ascot - planned for our Cunard - Queen Victoria Cruise. Does this mean that long gowns are required for all "formal" nights for the ladies-- is it a no-no to wear flowing pants and a dressy blouse for one of these occasions - how about short cocktail dresses?????

How does one pack all these special clothes and still stay in the 50 lb limit?????

Thanks so very much for your assistance in this matter.

Denise

The balls are held in the Queen's Room which is always decorated for the different themes. For the various balls, some people wear a mask (Masquerade) or a fun hat (Ascot) but not many. It is not a requirement at all. You will be fine in flowing pants or a quite dressy cocktail dress and you will also see lots of ladies in long gowns. It's often the people who love to dance who wear the theme clothes or masks as they will be going to the Queen's Room after dinner for the dancing. But, anyone can go and feel comfortable as long as you follow the formal wear requirement. To be under 50 pounds, plan on repeating if you have a long voyage. We were on the QV for over 60 days from Sydney to Southampton and only brought 2 suitcases each. There are washers and dryers on each deck and the dry cleaning and laundry service is excellent and fast.

Neeny, where have you had this imformation about the theme balls and for what cruise? I have not found anything in anything from Cunard!

We received the dress code and formal nights information for our August 1st QV voyage with our pre-voyage literature a few weeks ago. It is in the Pre-Voyage Documentation brochure. There has been discussion about delay in getting documents recently, but I would have hoped you would have yours by now.

Have a great voyage!

Lesley

Thats really interesting - we now have the docs for our July 18 cruise- for what they are worth - booklet about QV -very general and tags for wrong deck. There is no info on formal wear and we did not receive any other prior info!!!! Hmm thank goodness for CC!!!

Thats really interesting - we now have the docs for our July 18 cruise- for what they are worth - booklet about QV -very general and tags for wrong deck. There is no info on formal wear and we did not receive any other prior info!!!! Hmm thank goodness for CC!!!

Yes, hopefully you got a visit from the upgrade fairy! I think your trip is 14 days (lucky you!). Our 12 day August 1st trip has 3 elegant casual nights (1st and last nights, and another night in the middle), 4 formal nights, and 5 semi-formal nights. There is a Black and White Ball, Masquerade Ball, Victoriana Ball, and Royal Ascot Ball, which co-incide with the formal nights, and a Big Band Ball on one of the semi-formal nights. I would imagine your voyage would be similar, although it seems rather a bother that you didn't get the Pre-Voyage info, which includes the Shore Excursion Request Forms, and Guest Registration Forms, which can be done on your Voyage Personalizer on the Cunard web site.

Have a wonderful trip, we will be in Southampton watching you dock on August 1st.

Lesley

Thanks, we are really looking forward to it and fly out in a few days for a sojourn in Paris first. I am amazed at how much info we didn't get and no- no upgrade the tags were for deck 1 and we are on deck 5!!

Nice to chat with you

On our cruise I found many of the ladies did rise to the occasion for the black and white ball. I saw many ladies in a black and white gown combination. It was actually quite fun to sit in the Chart room near the entrance so I could see all the different gowns go by on thier way to dinner. The others theme nights I did not notice anything different than one would wear for any other formal night.

Myself, I could not find a black and white gown that I just loved so wore a black and gold gown. Nothing to worry about one way or another.

Archived