Independent Lamanai ruins tour and getting back ot the boat.

socalsprinter

This is good news. I want to do this tour but it's scares the heck out of me due to the distance. I like hearing good stories. Thanks for posting.

I thought I would be courteous and tell you that my friend and I have decided not to do this excursion. Truthfully the time issue is just too big a concern for us. We have a sea day once we leave Belize and we'd have to get back to Key West so we just opted not to take the chance of being left in Belize. I hope you enjoy your cruise next year!

Thanks for letting me know. it does really scare me and I'm not the scaredy cat type. My next stop would be Roatan, not so far away, but still would be a hassle and an expense. I sure wish Carnival would offer the tour again. Oh well.

Thanks for letting me know. it does really scare me and I'm not the scaredy cat type. My next stop would be Roatan, not so far away, but still would be a hassle and an expense. I sure wish Carnival would offer the tour again. Oh well.

When we did this excursion I actually researched how to get from Belize to Roatan should we need to do that - and yes it wouldn't be easy (and if you recall we did take our passports off the ship which we never do).

But in fact we would have been so screwed if we had been left behind! We docked in Roatan but after about 1 hr there (no one was allowe off the ship) the captain made the decision to leave due to 'civil unrest' on the island - I am wondering if we could actually have gotten to the ship in Roatan if we had to??? Talk about scary!!!

• 1 month later...

My Husband & I will be on the same cruise! I was debating the same thing. I want to do the tour but my husband is alittle , ok, ALOT uptight about using an independent tour Company. I think I'm gonna book it. BTW I was in Belize a few years ago & it was REALY hot & humid. Did a rainforrest hike & cave tubing w/ a local lunch. It was Wonderful. Belize is different, not as commerial as the other ports. Maybe we will see you on the tour.

This sounds like an exciting adventure!

I noticed that The Valor is also going to Costa Maya, which also has ruin tours.

Has anyone here been to both Lamani and Costa Maya, and would you recommend one over the other?

My review of Lamanai is somewhere in this thread, but I have also gone to Chacchoben with The Native Choice in Costa Maya. Lamanai had taller ruins, the tallest one you can climb. You can not climb the ruins in Chacchoben due to people carving their names and such at the top so they no longer allow it. There are more impressive stone carvings at Lamanai, Chacchoben does not really have any. You have MUCH less time to explore Lamanai, which was fairly rushed because of all of the travel time...Chacchoben was only like 45 mins to an hour away so we even had time after the guided tour to explore on our own. And after Chacchoben you have a couple more hours to spend at the port, where you should only have minutes after the Lamanai tour. So basically it comes down to what you are looking for...Lamanai was much more exotic, adventurous and remote but it was rushed. Chacchoben was much more laid back and I felt I learned more on that tour and it was great to get away from the crowds and explore on our own. To my knowledge nobody has actually missed the ship after Lamanai but I know we came close! I really enjoyed both ruins and would go back to either if I had the chance!

I have been to both ruins and totally enjoyed both experiences. Overall, I'd agree with EBallgirl's assessment of the pros & cons. Either way, I don't think you'd be disappointed. If the potential for time issues returning from Lamanai is a concern, however, I'd opt for Chacchoben at Costa Maya.

In terms of travel time/distance from cruise ports, the Chacchoben ruins are some of the most accessible of the Mayan ruins...Lamanai, Tulum, Chitzinetza are all full day excursions from the port areas. (May the Mayan god's forgive my spelling! :eek:)

Have a wonderful cruise!

Madonna

My Husband & I will be on the same cruise! I was debating the same thing. I want to do the tour but my husband is alittle , ok, ALOT uptight about using an independent tour Company. I think I'm gonna book it. BTW I was in Belize a few years ago & it was REALY hot & humid. Did a rainforrest hike & cave tubing w/ a local lunch. It was Wonderful. Belize is different, not as commerial as the other ports. Maybe we will see you on the tour.

Just curious as to what "same cruise" you are going on. We are on the Legend for next June. I'm assuming that is not this one since it's so far away.

Archived