casual wear in dining room question

golf43

I agree with the poster who is from California and pointed out that that part of the country dresses very casual. I am from Montana and formal here is a nice pair of Wranglers and a sport coat. LOL. No, you will not see that on the formal dining nights on the Valor in October, don't worry. My boyfriend is a true blue country boy, and those guys don't have the need for dressy clothes and they therefore just don't have them. It will be a stretch for us to pack both evening clothes and casual clothes for him. I'm sorry that our way of life is not up to the expectations of all the Southern Belles and Gentlemen around here. :p

I agree with the poster who is from California and pointed out that that part of the country dresses very casual. I am from Montana and formal here is a nice pair of Wranglers and a sport coat. LOL. No, you will not see that on the formal dining nights on the Valor in October, don't worry. My boyfriend is a true blue country boy, and those guys don't have the need for dressy clothes and they therefore just don't have them. It will be a stretch for us to pack both evening clothes and casual clothes for him. I'm sorry that our way of life is not up to the expectations of all the Southern Belles and Gentlemen around here. :p

I disagree, you very well MAY see that on "elegant" night depending on how well the Maitre'D enforces the dress code.. you are right though, different parts of the country see things differently. Many years ago, I had a friend that moved here from Texas and was astonished when he was refused entrance to a formal event, for wearing what he thought was formal wear... and then I was amazed when I attended a formal awards banquet in Austin and saw that the majority were dressed in tuxes... he had me convinced that everybody in Texas wore jeans as formal wear :p Everyone is different, and as long as you adhere to the dress code listed, you should be fine.

ok so im new to this .. why do people post and ask what do others think of this shoe bathing suit or this dress and some times post pics of the item? and want a "honest opinion" :rolleyes: If people give it why are people in shock?? :eek: I personaly dont think id ask a "opinion" of what people think of this or that i think we all have great judgement of knowing what to wear or not i some times think people think hey maybe if i wear this i can go over the line of what im expected to wear, maybe some one will say yeah and valadate my opinion.. I sometimes crack up and shake my head oh no they didnt ask can they wear that :eek: lol :D

ok so im new to this .. why do people post and ask what do others think of this shoe bathing suit or this dress and some times post pics of the item? and want a "honest opinion" :rolleyes: If people give it why are people in shock?? :eek: I personaly dont think id ask a "opinion" of what people think of this or that i think we all have great judgement of knowing what to wear or not i some times think people think hey maybe if i wear this i can go over the line of what im expected to wear, maybe some one will say yeah and valadate my opinion.. I sometimes crack up and shake my head oh no they didnt ask can they wear that :eek: lol :D

I believe the op was asking if it was ok to wear sneakers. As in....is it allowed. There is a difference in asking if it is allowed and what do you think.......

i was asking a general question not that certain op sorrry i didnt express it the correct way ( i figured it could of fallen in to this but i guess not lol ) as i stated in the start of my post i was new to this lol have a wonderful fourth !!!! :D :D :D

From what I’ve gathered talking to a dear friend and my son that has cruised lately, on the shorter cruises (5 day or less) it seems to be very relaxed in the dinning room.

On the longer cruises (7 day or more) things seems to have not changed much at all.

Maybe things will have straightened out by the time I go in January. You know I like to look the part. :)

I'm not in shock. I have had fun reading the posts that people have written. To each their own. I simply asked a question. Got alot of feedback. Been called classless because I choose to follow the dress code that Carnival has. Since you are new to this I suggest you start your own thread on Why do people ask what do others think? You will probably get alot of answers.

If you where prosthetics in your shoes and athletic shoes are needed, then by all means wear them. If you are referencing a clean, stylish "sneaker" that is in "fashion", by all means, have a ball. I don't think you are asking anything outside what most cruisers find appropriate. (Especially on port days when you may only be getting back to the ship minutes before dinner.)

The issue, imho, is when someone hits the formal dining room without a care in the world as to their appearance, personal hygiene and/or CCL's guidelines. I am floored by the number of people that expect CCL to follow each and every one of their personal demands and meet outrageous expectations. Yet these same people feel the need to rebel against simple, appropriate dress guideline. (Original poster: I do not believe this is your intent. I truly think you had a very simple question.)

Good grief, it is the serve me "a medium rare steak, with moist but properly steamed lobster tail, accompanied by butter at 97.9 degrees while I wear my three day old shorts, concert t-shirt and cologne eau d' BO" cruisers that ruffle the napkins and clatter the silverware of the "fashion" police.

Oh my. Obviously referring to me. Nope, not living in the past, just adhering to social common sense and proper etiquette/courtesy in all areas.:)

And yes, the dining room IS indeed a formal setting. A pizzeria or local diner by comparison is not.

Anytime you see good china, silverware for each course, more than two glasses, cloth tablecloths and cloth napkins, and servers in semi-tux uniforms......that is a "formal setting/atmosphere".

Well said. I dont understand why this is so hard to understand? If you are in an elegant setting, tennis shoes dont fit in. Doesnt mean you have to wear a ball gown but formal china and running shoes dont mix. My opinion of course.

Well said. I dont understand why this is so hard to understand? If you are in an elegant setting, tennis shoes dont fit in. Doesnt mean you have to wear a ball gown but formal china and running shoes dont mix. My opinion of course.

Since the op did mention casual I believe she was referring to casual night.......

To answer your question, sneakers are just fine for casual night. I didn't think you asked for a commentary on whether sneakers were fashionable or not.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

And there is the most perfect answer to this question ;)

And may I add that only the OP and Carnival has to accept what they wear to dinner.. :)

What your opinions are of yourself and others :rolleyes: are irrelevant. Carnival has made thier dress policy very very clear (to most of us, at least). The point is moot and so are your judgements of others. Carnival allows casual clothing, whether you agree or not. Maybe Carnival is not for you anymore, maybe the QM2 or HAL would be more appropriate.

What I find totally classless are people so concerned about other people's clothes. We should be spending more time being genuinely CONCERNED for others, not about what they are wearing.

Hey Flower!... Any expensive downtown restaurant in NYC where the set up is formal, does not necessarily apply to the attire of a customer.

Jeans, sports jacket more than acceptible...

Just because one dresses formally does not give them class. Class is exhibited in many ways, how one treats another as it is a reflection of themselves.;)

My favorite line (And no offense to any particular poster here...) is "I dont get dressed up at home.. so We have to on my cruise... " I have said it before and I will say it again..

Why doesn't one get dressed up at home and go out for a nice dinner? Can't afford it, get dressed up anyway and go dance under the moonlight in your backyard.. Life is what you make it and it will pass you by if you are wasting time paying attention to the things that don't matter instead of what does...

Dress up if you want.. Dont dress up if you dont want.. Just be nice & respectful.

hey trock!

Well said.

Another attitude that bugs me is the general "how we are falling to pieces as a society because we are letting formalities like dressing up and "good manners" fall by the wayside". Times change and so do cultures. If we were to follow that philosophy, we'd still be wearing petticoats and powdered wigs. We have become more informal as a culture.

Personally, I do dress up a bit. This cruise, I am even wearing a long dress instead of my usual slacks and fancier top. But I will fight for the right to wear casual, no matter what!

hey trock!

Well said.

Another attitude that bugs me is the general "how we are falling to pieces as a society because we are letting formalities like dressing up and "good manners" fall by the wayside". Times change and so do cultures. If we were to follow that philosophy, we'd still be wearing petticoats and powdered wigs. We have become more informal as a culture.

Personally, I do dress up a bit. This cruise, I am even wearing a long dress instead of my usual slacks and fancier top. But I will fight for the right to wear casual, no matter what!

So do I! I dont mind dressing up.. but I dont care what someone else is wearing.. unless of course its completely gross.. like the girl who walked into the dinning room with no shoes!

Just off the Triumph, all types of sneakers would be fine. People were very relaxed and eveyone seemed happy. Did see one young man in a tank top asked to but on a different shirt. He came back in a tee shirt.:rolleyes:

So glad to hear that! We will be sailing on the Triumph in March and my father (his first cruise) has to wear special shoes that look closer to black sneakers because he is missing a foot and I would hate for him to feel uncomfortable about wearing them. And I hate to say this but he will also have to wear them on formal night. Hope no one notices.

I'm a supervisor and I spend half my day coaching my staff on how to dress. I am far from the fashion police and I think I was a hillybilly in my last life. I LOVE my sneakers. I hate shoes. And if I find a comfortable shoe I buy them in black, brown and navy. I wear those until they fall apart.

I spend half my day trying to determine if someone’s shoes are beach shoes or flip flops and trying to explain if the dress code says not halters or tank tops than strapless tops are also considered not appropriate.

Sometimes I am shocked at what grown adult people will wear to a workplace and than I realize they probably wore this kind of stuff to school. I believe that clothing influences behavior. Just like I think environment influences the way people react.

We sail in 6 days. I'm so excited I can hardly wait. :) In the meantime I have pulled out a bunch of clothes. Now I am sorting through just what I really do need. Since ladies can wear capri's in the dining room, can we wear sneakers with those? Like reeboks or new balance shoes? I don't have any sandels that would be ok for the dining room. Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if sneakers are okay, but when I wear capri's, I like to wear sandals (not flip flops) or a pair of slip on shoes....

Oh my. Obviously referring to me. Nope, not living in the past, just adhering to social common sense and proper etiquette/courtesy in all areas.:)

And yes, the dining room IS indeed a formal setting. A pizzeria or local diner by comparison is not.

Anytime you see good china, silverware for each course, more than two glasses, cloth tablecloths and cloth napkins, and servers in semi-tux uniforms......that is a "formal setting/atmosphere".

I agree 100%:p

Bunnytravel

Wear what you feel comfortable with. No one looks at your feet.

Jody

I don't care what the OP wears, but I had to address this statement... as a woman, I am always looking at shoes :p So that isn't necessarily true!!! :p LOL That being said, I don't care what kind of shoes you are wearing, but I do look.. you can see some great shoes on cruises!!!

The original question was whether sneakers were allowed in the dining room. The dress code rules do not prohibit sneakers on casual night. The rest of this thread is opinion.

I've not read many comments on here advocating that it is OK to not follow the dress code rules - however, I've read comments alleging that actually following the dress code is classless if it doesn't meet that particular poster's standards.

So true! Not sure what the argument is. Actually there is none:rolleyes:

Well, I think I'll just pop in here. Kelly, you don't need to apologize.

Golf43 - IF you are comfortable and at ease wearing sports shoes to a formal dining room setting where most folks dress and are shod appropriately, go for it. I, for one, wouldn't.:o

long before the relaxing of the dress code sneakers and flip flops were worn.

Wear your sneakers and enjoy your cruise.:)

Bill

Archived