casual wear in dining room question

golf43

We sail in 6 days. I'm so excited I can hardly wait. :) In the meantime I have pulled out a bunch of clothes. Now I am sorting through just what I really do need. Since ladies can wear capri's in the dining room, can we wear sneakers with those? Like reeboks or new balance shoes? I don't have any sandels that would be ok for the dining room. Thanks in advance.

I personally would not wear sneakers. The only time I wear them is for exercise. There are to many pairs of cute shoes and sandals and not enough days to wear them. Before anyone says anything about sneakers being so comfortable, I would never buy a pair of shoes that weren't. My feet are to important to make them suffer.

Kelly

To answer your question, sneakers are just fine for casual night. I didn't think you asked for a commentary on whether sneakers were fashionable or not.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

A cute pair of Keds would be pushing it. A regular pair of athletic shoes, NB or Nike, not appropriate. I'd go buy a cute cheap pair of brown, black or white sandals, depending on your outfits. They're probably already on clearance.

To answer your question, sneakers are just fine for casual night. I didn't think you asked for a commentary on whether sneakers were fashionable or not.

These threads bring out the fashion police more so than the ones interested in the rules. :D

Sorry, I did not mean to offend anyone. I am not trying to be the fashion police. I use to be one of those people who thought cute shoes could not comfortable and I was wrong.

The other thought I have is that after a day of walking around port or the ship my feet are usually alittle swollen. A pair of flat sandals with a good arch support feel better than trying to put my feet into a pair of sneakers. If for you your sneakers feel the best or give you the support you need then please wear them. Like I said before feet are important, treat them good because you only get one pair. If my feet are happy I am happy and on vacation we should all be happy!

Kelly

Well, I think I'll just pop in here. Kelly, you don't need to apologize.

Golf43 - IF you are comfortable and at ease wearing sports shoes to a formal dining room setting where most folks dress and are shod appropriately, go for it. I, for one, wouldn't.:o

We sail in 6 days. I'm so excited I can hardly wait. :) In the meantime I have pulled out a bunch of clothes. Now I am sorting through just what I really do need. Since ladies can wear capri's in the dining room, can we wear sneakers with those? Like reeboks or new balance shoes? I don't have any sandels that would be ok for the dining room. Thanks in advance.

To give you a idea of how casual.....on casual nights men and women are allowed to wear shorts in the dining room. So most certainly sneakers would be allowed;)

On cruise casual nights, you will see a wide range of wear, including sneakers. You will not be out of place at all.

Anyone trying to claim that casual night even comes close to a "formal dining room setting" is living in the past. Even the cruise elegant night doesn't meet "formal" standards by most accepted definitions of the term.

On cruise casual nights, you will see a wide range of wear, including sneakers. You will not be out of place at all.

Anyone trying to claim that casual night even comes close to a "formal dining room setting" is living in the past. Even the cruise elegant night doesn't meet "formal" standards by most accepted definitions of the term.

Absolutely true. And on our "formal" night on the Fascination last year, one of our tablemates was allowed in to the dining room wearing a short sleeve polo shirt. That was more bothersome to me than someone wearing sneakers on a casual night. My DH hates to dress up more than anyone I know, but even he wore a nice shirt, tie and sports jacket to dinner that night.

quote=Cruise, J.D.To answer your question, sneakers are just fine for casual night. I didn't think you asked for a commentary on whether sneakers were fashionable or not.

How boring these boards would be if questions were simply answered as "yes" or "no". As long as it is polite and people are only offering opinions and suggestions, I see nothing wrong with adding comments to questions.

quote=Cruise, J.D.To answer your question, sneakers are just fine for casual night. I didn't think you asked for a commentary on whether sneakers were fashionable or not.

How boring these boards would be if questions were simply answered as "yes" or "no". As long as it is polite and people are only offering opinions and suggestions, I see nothing wrong with adding comments to questions.

And how useless these boards would be if answers to objective questions were nothing but opinions. The person providing the commentary never answered the OP's question. If you are going to give your opinion at least have the courtesy to answer the question!

Yes, you can wear sneakers. Just try and make sure they don't look like they've been around for years please. I wear them as I need a lift in one shoe and they are the easiest to put it into. To me a nice pair of sneakers is much better than flip flops, as too many times I've seen bare feet under a table and ff's under the chair! :eek:

Yes, you can wear sneakers. Just try and make sure they don't look like they've been around for years please. I wear them as I need a lift in one shoe and they are the easiest to put it into. To me a nice pair of sneakers is much better than flip flops, as too many times I've seen bare feet under a table and ff's under the chair! :eek:

.....Anyone trying to claim that casual night even comes close to a "formal dining room setting" is living in the past. .

Oh my. Obviously referring to me. Nope, not living in the past, just adhering to social common sense and proper etiquette/courtesy in all areas.:)

And yes, the dining room IS indeed a formal setting. A pizzeria or local diner by comparison is not.

Anytime you see good china, silverware for each course, more than two glasses, cloth tablecloths and cloth napkins, and servers in semi-tux uniforms......that is a "formal setting/atmosphere".

I just would not wear sneakers to dinner, period, unless the dinner was an informal barbecue in someones garden. If it is an accepted mode of dress on board and if the person is comfortable with it, fine by me, it is all subjective.

If I am dining at "formal Dining" night I think it would be tacky not to go to a little extra trouble and dress accordingly - I certainly don't need a cruise directive to tell me that flip flops or sneakers would be not acceptable.

I am sure that exceptions are made for anyone who has problems with their feet, lets face it there are people who through necessity have to wear orthopedic shoes that you or I might mistake for athletic footwear.

Life is too short to worry about petty details, I would suggest taking a pair of comfortable soft sandals, they don't take up much room in the luggage and after all you only have to wear them briefly.

Ponte

Just my thoughts.

Ponte

.....Anyone trying to claim that casual night even comes close to a "formal dining room setting" is living in the past. .

Oh my. Obviously referring to me. Nope, not living in the past, just adhering to social common sense and proper etiquette/courtesy in all areas.:)

And yes, the dining room IS indeed a formal setting. A pizzeria or local diner by comparison is not.

Anytime you see good china, silverware for each course, more than two glasses, cloth tablecloths and cloth napkins, and servers in semi-tux uniforms......that is a "formal setting/atmosphere".

We will have to agree to disagree. The dining room is not a formal setting on either the casual night or elegant night. The decor of the room is a factor but not a deciding factor. The host's dress code is also an important factor.

I suggest you take a look at the Carnival dress code. I've seen etiquette guides that suggest overdressing compared to the dress code is impolite so you should be careful about throwing out the terms "social common sense" and "proper etiquette".

Sorry, Cotton...but this is obviously just lost on some people.

Class is not something that can be taught (although you are sweet to try)... a person either has it or they don't.

And Carnival wonders why they still get all the "Wal Mart comparisons"... :rolleyes:

Archived