What lense to take to Alaska?

I just purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XT with the 18-55mm kit for our trip to Alaska the end of August, but I don't know what else I need. I have read that I need a circular polarizer for the lense, but do I have to get different ones for different lenses, or will it go on all lenses?

I want to be able to take pictures of the landscape/scenery both while on the ship as well as in the ports, and am hopefull to get some good pictures of wildlife. We are doing a fishing/wildlife excursion and renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake.

I would like to get a good lenses that doesn't cost too much as I have already spent quite a bit on the camera. But, I do plan on using the camera quite a lot for other then this trip as I have 4 kids who play sports and are quite active.

Any help would be appreciated!!

I just purchased a Canon Digital Rebel XT with the 18-55mm kit for our trip to Alaska the end of August, but I don't know what else I need. I have read that I need a circular polarizer for the lense, but do I have to get different ones for different lenses, or will it go on all lenses?

I want to be able to take pictures of the landscape/scenery both while on the ship as well as in the ports, and am hopefull to get some good pictures of wildlife. We are doing a fishing/wildlife excursion and renting a car in Skagway to drive to Emerald Lake.

I would like to get a good lenses that doesn't cost too much as I have already spent quite a bit on the camera. But, I do plan on using the camera quite a lot for other then this trip as I have 4 kids who play sports and are quite active.

Good lense and doesn't cost "too" much is an oxymoron for sure :D

Circular Polarizer is a must! You should only need more then one if you end up with different filter sizes for each of your lenses.

There are two canon lenses you could consider:

70-300 4.5-5.6 IS USM for 549.99 at costco

70-300 4.5-5.6 II USM for 199.99 at costco

I'd really spend the extra money to go with the IS as you'll need the image stabilization for the longer focal length.

You could also consider the new Tamraon AF28-300 3.5-6.3 also with vibration compenstation ~ 549-599. With this lense you can almost leave it on the camera for everything but the panoramic and portraits.

If you are serious about shooting sports then the 70-200 2.8 IS is dream lense in the signature pro canon white that will make you stand out among everyone. But its big, heavy and pricey at 1700 dollars

Don't forget that you can often rent lenses (or flashes and cameras) for a trip or special need as well as before you invest in a more expensive model. Check your local camera shops to see what is available. One that folks in my local club have recommended is http://www.prophotorental.com/Default.asp?c=2269. They even rent Olympus gear which is fairly unique (and great since I shoot an E3/E300).

Cheers

Chris in VA

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Nikon D50 and use the Tamron 18-250 mm lens, see if they have that for the canon. I know they have the 28-300mm, but I prefer the wider angle. It is the only lens I travel with. When I went to Alaska, I only had a 28-70 and 70-210 and they were bulky in 2000. This is much much better.

Given Rebel just before moving to Fairbanks and am more than pleased. Over the years I've left a haze filter on most lense just for protection. I've had no problems with the $200 70-300 zoom but then I started using large telephotos before zooms became the rage. As we travel around AK the 70-300 lives on the camera most of the time. Auto modes give amazing results and allow you to spend more time enjoying the sights and less time fiddling with your camera. Take the time at home to get really comfy with your new camera so you won't stress about the perfect picture and let this state amaze you. Happy trip and I'm sure you'll love Alaska!

• 3 weeks later...

I also have a Rebel XTI, with 18-55 IS lens, added the Tamron 28-300 IS lens. This is all I am carrying along with 5 4GB memory cards and a 20GB backup HD. The Tamron lens is a real keeper. It will make those long shots easy and steady. Remember that when you are off of the ship, everything you want to see is far away.

Good Luck and Good Shooting.

Archived