Curious about best Seasickness Meds

Jessica_2020

Will be going to the Mexican Riviera on October 28th on the Star! I am so excited but am worried about getting sea sick! I don't know if I even have anything to worry about, but I am a worrier...:) I can read while in a car that is moving...and fly fine without getting sick...Do you think I will get sea sick?? Also, what is the best medication preventative for sea sickness. I am planning on doing a little bit of drinking ;) well....maybe more than a little bit...:) Anyways...I am worried, all of the meds that I have found said to avoid alcohol. What does everybody use??

I was just wondering what to give to small children to prevent seasickness?

sandye

I have bought bonine as well as a bottle of ginger root tablets, does ginger root also prevent motion sickness or does it just take care of it once you have it?? I am a little bit confused about that. Also, How many ginger root pills should I take per day if using them as a preventative, they are 550 mg each?? Will it be fine if I take 1 ginger root tablet and also 1 bonine/day or are they not alright to mix??? Sorry for so many questions, I really don't want to get seasick on my first cruise :)

I would also like to know the answer to this question as I have also bought the concentrated ginger from GNC softgel capsuls 1000 mg

Hi again,

since I am very prone to motion sickness as well.....I often do look at many web sites that might have some information for me.

I found some answers listed in two web sites about how much ginger to take for adults and one is also giving the dose for kids. Of course these are only web sites and your doctor is the person to ask to know for sure.

Here are the web sites and their recommeded dosage:

http://www.vitacost.com/science/hn/Concern/Motion_Sickness.htm

"Doctors prescribing ginger for motion sickness recommend 500 mg one hour before travel and then 500 mg every two to four hours as necessary. The study with children used one-half the adult amount."

http://www.goddesscruise.com/SeaSick.htm

"Some doctors recommend that you can take it 12-24 hours before, as preventing sea sickness is easier than curing it. Somewhere from 1 gram up to 4 grams per day of powdered ginger is recommended. Some studies seem to indicate that ginger is more effective in the reduction of vomiting and sweating than nausea and vertigo, although they reduce those symptoms as well. "

Sorry about the large font...I copied and pasted it from the web site and now my comment is in the same font size.

The dosage seems to be on both web sites about the same.

It seems that both recommed about the same dosage per day. For small children probably even smaller amount than the 'half' of adult dosage, depending on the body weight of the child.

I hope this helps.

Wes

We use meclizine (Bonine), one in the morning and one before bed, every day. I am prone to SEVERE motion sickness and have never had a problem on a cruise ship. (Small boats are another matter, however the meclizine helps, even then).

We do not experience any of the dry mouth or dizziness, that you may have with Dramamine or the patch.

You can buy meclizine from the pharmacist (it is behind the counter) at Wal-Mart in 100 tab chewable's for less than $10.00 a bottle. That is the best way to buy it. Just ask at the pharmacy counter, they should have it.

We also used it for our son from the time he was about 6 years old, and it works well for him too.

Mark

My SIL can get sick just LOOKING at a moving vehicle (well, almost) and she used those wrist bands and swears by them. None of the pills worked for her and she's an MD so she had access to whatever she wanted. The bands are the things she recommends.

I don't get motion sickness but DH does. Luckily not as bad as his sister (see above) but we are taking bonine and wrist bands and I've asked him to talk to his doctor about other options. But the patch side affects kind of scare me.

Archived