AA/BA/Iberia-possible new joint deal

greatam

I have read this thread and looked on AA website for the information, but I get lost the more times I try and find the answer. And, sorry if this question has been asked before, but the question is:

I am flying BA from DFW to LHR this fall and getting the miles on BA program. I also have an AA rewards number. I know I cannot get AA miles awarded for this flight due to antitrust regs. But, I am wondering if I decide to take a domestic flight on AA in the future, could I somehow use those miles, even though I don't have enough(25000 on BA) to get them added to my AA account?

Or, the miles just basically lost becuase I really don't fly overseas that often.

Sorry if I make this sound confusing, I just could not think of a better way to ask it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have read this thread and looked on AA website for the information, but I get lost the more times I try and find the answer. And, sorry if this question has been asked before, but the question is:

I am flying BA from DFW to LHR this fall and getting the miles on BA program. I also have an AA rewards number. I know I cannot get AA miles awarded for this flight due to antitrust regs. But, I am wondering if I decide to take a domestic flight on AA in the future, could I somehow use those miles, even though I don't have enough(25000 on BA) to get them added to my AA account?

Or, the miles just basically lost becuase I really don't fly overseas that often.

Sorry if I make this sound confusing, I just could not think of a better way to ask it.

Thanks in advance for any help.

If you don' fly overseas, then open an Alaska Airlines account and credit your BA miles there. BUT you will only get 25% of your miles unless your BA flight is in World Traveler Plus or higher fare class (there are a couple of exceptions, but they are generally full fare, very high priced coach).

Only other option for full points is a Qantas account, but again, if you don't fly internationally, you will have a hard time using your miles.

Do you KNOW what fare class your ticket is in???? You may want to investigate the possibility of upgrading to WT. Often, the price is not significantly different ($3-400)

There is NO way to combine your BA miles with AA miles. But you could fly AA and a whole lot of other airlines that partner with BA and credit your domestic USA flights to your BA account and use your miles from your BA overseas flights that way.

Here's a link to the Alaska rules:

http://www.alaskaair.com/as/mileageplan/MileagePartners_Airline.asp

Most BA discount economy fares earn only 25% in either an AA or a QF account also. This is a restriction largely imposed by BA.

Really???? Not doubting you but I thought when you told me a long time ago to credit BA miles to a QF account that I got full miles. Maybe I misunderstood or maybe the program has changed since you told me that (it was 4-5 years ago).

I have credited two flights to QF (both LAN flights) so I could actually use what I had left in QF for something other than flowers or magazine subscriptions. Just curious-have the rules changed???? Or did I misunderstand to begin with (more likely)

Really???? Not doubting you but I thought when you told me a long time ago to credit BA miles to a QF account that I got full miles. Maybe I misunderstood or maybe the program has changed since you told me that (it was 4-5 years ago).
The QF scheme has changed in this respect, but this was on 1 January 2004 (before I joined CC). So I don't think that I would have said that you'd get full mileage credit.

However, one important difference remains (and this may have been what I'd referred to): You continue to earn status credits in the QF scheme on discount economy BA flying, whereas you'd earn nothing towards status in the BA scheme. This, for me, has long been one of the benefits of the QF scheme over the BA scheme.

Earning for LAN flying should be at 100% for what looks like a good raft of booking classes. The current QF table can be found here: http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/terms#jump26

Archived