Clothes for dinner

rhondakap

Onboard Attire

Formal Evenings:

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men

This leaves me really confused. In this country we use "British" English and the garment called a tuxedo in the US is called a dinner jacket here. So what is a US "Dinner jacket"?

The guys out there probably know more about it but I think the main difference is the "dinner jacket" is usually a different color - quite often white. It's kind of like the difference between a suit - jacket and pants that match and a sport coat - similar style but different color from the pants. My DH wore a dinner jacket for our wedding. We're just taking a sport coat rather than a suit for formal nights on our cruise in August - he can wear it more than once with different shirts.

I would strongly urge you not to forsake the formal nights, even if means dragging along an extra outfit (and that's really all you are talking about- you can wear stuff multiple times). That's where the cruise line brings out the big guns- the best food- the cool visuals like the parade of flaming baked alaskas or whatever. It is something to see and to experience. And you are paying big time for it. To skip it for the buffet or whatever is just a shame. And for your son- I have one too, and we are leaving for our cruise in about 10 days. We will check out the blue khackis in his closet and if they don't fit I'm off to Walmart. Where for less than $10 you can pick up a larger pair.

I would strongly urge you not to forsake the formal nights, even if means dragging along an extra outfit (and that's really all you are talking about- you can wear stuff multiple times). That's where the cruise line brings out the big guns- the best food- the cool visuals like the parade of flaming baked alaskas or whatever. It is something to see and to experience. And you are paying big time for it. To skip it for the buffet or whatever is just a shame. And for your son- I have one too, and we are leaving for our cruise in about 10 days. We will check out the blue khackis in his closet and if they don't fit I'm off to Walmart. Where for less than $10 you can pick up a larger pair.

My DW and I so agree with what TwinMomplus said. The second formal night is the real don't miss night and when the parade of the flaming baked alaskas happen. Also, don't miss the show in the lounge on the second formal night. Special things happen then including an explosion of streamers at the finale. It is a special experience. Try to sit in the middle to the front of the lower level to experience the streamers raining down all around. Dinners and the shows on both formal nights were worth packing formal night wear for sure.

Skygliders

A dinner jacket is a "blazer." Like a blue blazer with tan colored pants.
Thanks Rhonda and Sparky. Got it. I have both and wore them to dinner several times on our Nautica cruise. Just to add to the name confusion we would call that jacket a "Reefer jacket". (Nothing to do with either marijuana or refigerated ships!:D )

When I was growing up we called a formal white jacket a dinner jacket. It was worn with tux pants and the usual tux accessories - formal shirt with studs and cuff links, bow tie, cumberbund, and formal shoes.

But I'm sure the "blue blazer" that I described would be acceptable too. It's quite nautical!

That is what my DH wore on our Alaska cruise and they didn't turn him away at the dining room.:rolleyes:

I think that allowing "nice" jeans into the Dining Room is a step in the right direction. I assume there will be someone checking to ensure that there no holes in the jeans. Now there may be some people who dress in jeans who may feel somewhat awkward sitting next to someone dressed in a tuxedo or suit. This is elitism of the worst sort. To address this issue, I suggest that all guests wearing tuxedos, suits or sport jackets and ties be banned and forced to eat on the Lido Deck. Formal nights will allow for "nice" jeans, slacks or chinos and informal nights will allow "not-so- nice" jeans or wrinkled slacks, or chinos. Anyone dressed in soiled clothing, however, will have to go to the Lido Deck.

It is high time we put this clothing disparity to rest. We all should dress down to the lowest common denominator so that no one feels out of place.

Equally yours in attire, i remain

Egalitarianism or no clothes at all!!!

Well, I have been on many of cruises, RCC, NCL & Princess and they all have a formal night and say "no" Jeans on formal nights and regular nights...However, I have seen jeans (nice not faded) worn in the dining room on formal nights and reg. dining. And no one has ever been asked to leave. Not even a guy I saw wear shorts on a formal night. I am on both sides of the fence with this one. I like dressing up for formal night, it is not something that I get to do too often, and it just makes me feel good. I also think a simple dress or nice pants and blouse would be fine too. As far as the men, nice slacks and a nice dress shirt is fine, not even a tie is expected. the kids, again, docker style pants and a nice shirt for boys and a cute dress for the girls is fine. I certainly would not go to any expense to buy anything new, but I would not wear casual wear on formal nights...but again, if you do, I have never seen anyone asked to leave. And I am very certain that due to the airline restrictions on the amt of luggage you can take without being charged and additional $25.00 per, is going to make a huge difference in the future. I was charged recently $25.00 both ways to bring home my toiletries, you can only take a 1 qt plastic bag of liquids, toothpaste, lotions, etc...and we me, that is a suitcase in itself.. ....but that is an entire other issue...

Happy sailing to everyone and hopefully you will have a stress free dining experience.

Archived