Nice hotel in Maui...?

patterson3

Not looking for 5-star (IE Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, Fairmont), but rather something in the 4-star range (not looking to pay anymore than $600 or $700/night for an ocean view/front room)...anyway, we're looking at either the Sheraton, Westin, Marriot or Maui Prince. (and are open to suggestions). Anyone ever stay in any of these or another nice hotel they'd recommend in a similar category?

Thanks a lot!

Hello...

Of the four hotels you've mentioned, I'd pick the Sheraton in a heartbeat!

It's got a wonderful location, right next to Black Rock, beautiful grounds, rooms and amenities.

You're walking distance to restaurants/shops at Whaler's Village and can follow the well used footpath all the way from the Sheraton to the Hyatt Regency if you'd like a nice sunset walk and want to see the rest of the Kaanapali Beach hotels.

Enjoy!

Aloha!

murphysmum;)

We spent 2 weeks at the Westin in February of this year and LOVED it. It was the perfect location. It was next to Whaler's Village so we popped over to Leilani's or Hula Grill for dinner on the evenings that we didn't feel like going up to Kapalua. Or, we caught the Westin shuttle to downtown Lahaina for dinner on Front St if we didn't feel like driving.

There was always a lounge chair to be found around the multiple pools - particularly around the adults only pool, which we liked. The Westin staff was very good about enforcing the adults only rule, too, when families did try to settle into the the adults only pool deck area. I also enjoyed the aqua exercise in the mornings. (I didn't feel quite as bad about the nightly piece of Hula Pie at Leilani's or Pineapple Upside Down Cake up at Pineapple Grill.)

I also liked the fact that Westin is a completely non-smoking property - rooms, grounds, restaurants...everywhere. Very nice!

The Westin "Heavenly Beds" are aptly named! The are hands down the BEST beds I've ever had in a hotel room in all the years I've been travelling.

We enjoyed the once a week, astronomy show they had at the hotel. They bring out a high-powered telescope and set it up around the pool. It is all computerized. One of the staff programs it to look at several planets and stars/constellations. Very nice! Be forewarned that they serve "adult s'mores" during the astronomy show (s'mores made with various liqour marinated fruit that you can squish in between the marshmallows, chocolate and crackers...YUMMMM!)...the firepit that you roast the marshmallows over will leave your clothes smelling like the wood they use that night so wear something that you don't mind smelling like smoke. This is a very nice, fun, and tasty ;) evening.

There is a sailing, snorkeling, whale watching trip (depending upon what you want) that leaves from the beach at the Westin that is FABULOUS. It is on the Gemini. www.geminicharters.com We went with them and I very highly recommend them. And you can't beat walking out of your room, down to the beach and onto the boat! (The Westin caters their food for their trips.)

Parking is very easy at the Westin. Plenty of self-parking unlike some of the hotels that seem to run out and almost leave you forced into using the valet parking.

The Westin has room safes that are big enough to hold laptops. In fact, it could have probably held two. I had my laptop in it and there was plenty of room for several pieces of jewelry I bought plus our tickets, iPods, wallets, watches, etc.

If you have any questions about the Westin that you'd like to ask, please do. I'll be happy to answer anything I can.

... we're looking at either the Sheraton, Westin, Marriot or Maui Prince. (and are open to suggestions). Anyone ever stay in any of these or another nice hotel they'd recommend in a similar category?

I have a strong preference for Wailiea over Ka'anapali Beach. I have stayed at the Prince, the Marriott, and the old Renaissance (not sure what is happening with this property). Another alternative, of course, is staying in some of the condos. Even though I am a Marriott fan/points collector I would stay at the Prince.

I really prefer the smaller crowds in the south. We stayed at the Marriott Maui Ocean Club on a time share deal a couple of years ago after staying in Wailea for many years and aren't looking to return any time soon. A day trip to Lahina is enough for me.

I have a strong preference for Wailiea over Ka'anapali Beach.

I'm just the opposite. I visit Wailiea for a day once every two or three trips to Maui just to see if I've changed my mind and so far, I haven't. I prefer West Maui hands down.

Isn't it funny how people have such different preferences?! Good thing or we'd never get the reservations we want! :eek:

Archived