PG arrival questions

shorton

We are using Regent air (ATN) and arriving in Tahiti at about 6:30 p.m. 9-26. I understand Regent will transfer us directly to the ship. For those who have arrived at ship directly from LA, how does it work for dining that first evening? And do we get our snorkel gear that night or in the morning? Thanks!

Even though you arrive at 6:30pm, you won't get to the ship until 8pm or later. The immigration is slow (they are on island time), with the luggages and getting everyone together to fill the bus. It will be a long time before arrive at the ship.

Recommendation after registration and freshen up in your room:

1. RUN to L’Etoile to have dinner (get fish), I think they close by 9:30, if you missed dinner, you will be stuck with room service, which is not bad at all. But eating in the dinning room with white-table cloth and silverware set the tone for the rest of the vacation.

2. Go up top to the sail away or welcome aboard party.

3. We don’t drink, so we skip the party and went to the dive desk instead, because we need to talk to the dive master to arrange stuff. Maybe you need to sort out the excursion with the excursion desk, also.

4. The marina close at night, so you pick up your snorkel gear in the morning.

Have fun!

Cindy

We are using Regent air (ATN) and arriving in Tahiti at about 6:30 p.m. 9-26. I understand Regent will transfer us directly to the ship. For those who have arrived at ship directly from LA, how does it work for dining that first evening? And do we get our snorkel gear that night or in the morning? Thanks!

We are in the same situation on 7/26. Per the cruise documents, all restaurants will be open "late" that night for dinner. From searching other threads, recommendations are to get snorkel gear the following morning.

We have been on the PG twice (going again on the 9/27 sailing) .... we are usually SO pooped from the long flight and late arrival that we just get to our cabin, unpack, order and eat pasta from room service (fills the belly for a heavy night's slumber) :o, and crash.

Wake up refreshed the next morning, have breakfast and then go to the marina for our snorkel gear.

It's indeed 9-27. You'd think I'd have that date branded in my brain! Thanks for the good info. Obviously we won't be walking off the plane, onto the bus and then onto the ship. (Don't I wish!)

Our last PG cruise, we (and several other passengers) waited at the airport at the curb in the heat for well over an hour for the Regent transfer, and then the check-in process once on board the ship was dreadfully slow. No apologies, almost like that was "business as usual".

I hope this is the exception to the rule - we were NOT happy, as this is very un-Regent like. Our first PG cruise (and also on Navigator) it was the complete opposite, efficient as could be!

Our last PG cruise, we (and several other passengers) waited at the airport at the curb in the heat for well over an hour for the Regent transfer, and then the check-in process once on board the ship was dreadfully slow. No apologies, almost like that was "business as usual".

I hope this is the exception to the rule - we were NOT happy, as this is very un-Regent like. Our first PG cruise (and also on Navigator) it was the complete opposite, efficient as could be!

===========================================

You must have been on a different Paul Gauguin- we NEVER had a problem checking in, nor have we heard anyone complaining about it.

===========================================

You must have been on a different Paul Gauguin- we NEVER had a problem checking in, nor have we heard anyone complaining about it.

Agreed - it was like an out-of-body experience!

Sometimes its mere timing as to the embarkation experience. I typically get to the ship pretty early, and go right through the process, while others that arrive later have a bottleneck to deal with.

Host Dan

I am writing this from the PG, anchored in the Marquesas.

We had NO problems or delays getting off the ATN flight, checking through imigration or getting our bags. We were in the bus and on our way to the ship in about 30 minutes! This is our fourth trip and I would say the shortest time in the airport, so your mileage may vary.

We had pretty fair meals on the ATN flight and were more tired than hungry when we got on board, but we did have a couple of glasses of bubbly before retiring to our stateroom to unpack. It only took about five minutes to check in.

Archived