Anything to do near Tampa airport?

farjar

We will have about 6 hours from the time we get off our ship until our flight leaves. Is there anything to do or see near the Tampa airport? Is there more to see or do near the cruise terminal besides the aquarium? Any suggestions as to how to spend our extra time would be appreciated. Thanks!

When you step outside the cruise termial, go to your left. Go in the door just past the phone booths. They will store your luggage. I can't remember how much it was, but very cheap. Also, you can purchase a shuttle to the airport from them. I think that was $9pp.

Also, they sell discounted tickets to the aquarium. They also sell discounted tickets to other places in the area.....sorry, I can't remember what all they had.

When you step out of the door, go to the corner on the left and take a left. There's a mall entrance about the middle of the block. There wasn't a whole lot going on but there is a movie theater.

We just went to the aquarium and watched a movie.

You might also board the trolley and ride into Ybor City as we did. It's very inexpensive, and we rode the entire route even staying on as it went through the "changing station". It was a great way to do some sight-seeing and you can catch it right at the aquarium. We did enjoy the aquarium and the shopping complex at Channelside. We also ate dinner there and got some ice cream.

....but there is a movie theater.

Regarding the movie theater, they have movies in IMAX! When I was there in May, Ironman had just came out, and that's the movie they had in IMAX.

So people have already covered the options near the cruise terminal pretty well. I will add that there is a huge mall near Tampa International Airport. It's called International Mall.

We will have about 6 hours from the time we get off our ship until our flight leaves. Is there anything to do or see near the Tampa airport? Is there more to see or do near the cruise terminal besides the aquarium? Any suggestions as to how to spend our extra time would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know if you realize that the aquarium is next to the cruise terminal.Not near,but actual neighbors.

I remember standing on the deck of the Legend and looking down at the children's outdoor "play area" of the aquarium. It was a neat view!

Here's the view QueenB mentioned:

2952727850103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

And here's to show that the terminal and aquarium truly are neighbors as cruisecruise said, here you'll see the Port sign with the Terminal 2 indicaton, and the blue buildings just beyond are the Aquarium:

2061993770103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

Here's looking down at the Channelside plaza area, Bennigan's and other restaurants are around this plaza, and the shops, movie theater and Hooter's are in the buildings around it, making up all of Channelside:

2894558640103423144S425x425Q85.jpg

I should tell my story for you:

My post-cruise flight was out of St. Pete/Clearwater airport at 4:30. I left my room when Debark #4 was called and with my carryon went downstairs and off the ship by 10. Showed my passport to Immigration/Customs and was pointed to where to gather my other bags. A porter met with us right away and loaded his cart and asked if we wanted storage, a taxi or what. There's a desk right there at the terminal exit that you can check all your luggage for a $7.00 flat fee, just pick them up by 4. Wasn't a problem for us cuz we planned to catch a cab by 2 to go to our airport. That's also where you could purchase discount aquarium tickets. We decided to just relax and explore the area. I knew Bennigans was right there for lunch before we left, it's the green striped awning in the bottom left corner of the Channelside pic. In the meantime with our bags stored we were free for whatever.

We left the terminal building, and just to the left outside there was a coffee shop with tables and chairs on the sidewalk. To the right and across the street is the aquarium, but there's not much of interest of us beyond that. So we look to the left, and find our onboard buddies sitting at one of the tables! So we sat and enjoyed one last conversation with them. They had a very late flight, and they planned to see Ironman in IMAX at like 12:30. We would have joined them if we had just a *little* more time. But by the time our buddies had left, our tablemates from the ship walked by! So we all chatted till Ironman, and when our buddies left the rest of us wandered towards Bennigans for one last meal together.

What a perfect end to the perfect cruise, lunch with our weeklong tablemates! However, en route to Bennigans we came across Hooters. Tablemates were a rather conservative couple celebrating 25, and had never been to Hooters... but I convinced them, because they were on vacation! Of course our food was good, the typical Hooters!

And then it had to end. We went back to the terminal building about 2 and claimed our baggage. The desk attendant helped us secure a cab, which was waiting outside... and away we went! :(

My opinion there is more to do in the cruise area then near the airport. But there is the mall near the airport, but then again its a mall.. But the airport there is a restaurant at the top of the Marriott Hotel called The View at CK's, but reservations are suggested but worth it.. Nice view of the airport and area.

We did that when I was living there. My future husband and I went there. He did it for a nice surprise for me passing my pilot license test.. Then after dinner at around 10pm. We went by the control tower and he got them to let us up in the tower... :eek: LOL can't do that now. They normally don't allow you do that with out prier arrangements even back then..

When you step outside the cruise termial, go to your left. Go in the door just past the phone booths. They will store your luggage. I can't remember how much it was, but very cheap. Also, you can purchase a shuttle to the airport from them. I think that was $9pp.

Also, they sell discounted tickets to the aquarium. They also sell discounted tickets to other places in the area.....sorry, I can't remember what all they had.

When you step out of the door, go to the corner on the left and take a left. There's a mall entrance about the middle of the block. There wasn't a whole lot going on but there is a movie theater.

How much are the discounted tickets to the aquarium? Thanks

Archived