Insurance Pays

During our cruise to Panama DH fell in a courtyard in Colombia and fractured his elbow. We went to the ship's infirmary and they did x-rays, gave him meds and treated him for the fracture. It has healed very well and he has no noticeable after affects. We received our reimbursement today and the company had covered 100% of our cost. We were very pleased. I thought I would post this so other cruisers would know the positive reasons for getting insurance. I also was very greatful to our TA for getting us a good policy.:D

It's always a good reminder to people that do not normally buy insurance that on-board medical costs (or in the worst case medical evacuation) is yet another reason to consider trip insurance. Even if you are the most flexible people in the world as far as scheduling, have no family to worry about, and can drive to your port such that cancelling or missing your cruise is not a concern, medical costs can hit stratospheric levels and may not be covered entirely (or even partially) by your primary health insurance.

I just bought my insurance tonight. Even though we will drive to the port this time, the secondary medical, medical evacuation and "cancel for any reason" coverage is great piece of mind for a mere 4.5% of the insured expenses. I even over-insured by about $1,500 in case we upgrade our cabin or add non-refundable excursions.

insuremytrip.com is a great resource for comparison shopping.

Several years ago my wife and I went on a 7-day carribean cruise in January. We had bought travel insurance prior to the cruise. As the ship was pulling into port my cell phone started ringing,it was my dad. He asked me where I was and I said Florida. His next sentence was "Well you better get home as fast as you can we are supposed to get a big snowstorm." We immmediately hailed a taxi and went straight to the airport and got on a earlier flight with a connection in Atlanta.

We got to Atlanta and our connecting flight was cancelled. 30 inches of snow and 4 days later we arrived home. (our luggage apparently was there days before us). Our insurance paid for everything we had receipts for ie:room, meals ,clothes. If the same situation ever happens again the only thing I would do differently is to stay in Florida, rent a car and drive and stay in Key West till it was time to go home.We always get insurance now after that .

It's always a good reminder to people that do not normally buy insurance that on-board medical costs (or in the worst case medical evacuation) is yet another reason to consider trip insurance. Even if you are the most flexible people in the world as far as scheduling, have no family to worry about, and can drive to your port such that cancelling or missing your cruise is not a concern, medical costs can hit stratospheric levels and may not be covered entirely (or even partially) by your primary health insurance.

I just bought my insurance tonight. Even though we will drive to the port this time, the secondary medical, medical evacuation and "cancel for any reason" coverage is great piece of mind for a mere 4.5% of the insured expenses. I even over-insured by about $1,500 in case we upgrade our cabin or add non-refundable excursions.

insuremytrip.com is a great resource for comparison shopping.

I must add my endorsement of getting travel insurance. A couple of years ago we got a shore-to-ship call telling us my Father-in-law and a heart attack and was not expected to live long. We had to get off in Cozumel. First off, the staff aboard the Granduer was FANTASTIC! They allowed us numerous calls home (at the guest relations desk) and helped me book flights and a rental car. They helped expedite our entrance into Mexico and marched us to the front of the line for getting off the ship.

Now for the Insurance part. 6 unused cruise days were paid by insurance. We had to take first class tickets out of Cozumel and they were fully paid. I had made a 10 hour drive to Baltimore for the cruise, and had to fly back to Cincinnati. The Insurance paid for the rental car and paid for my ticket to Baltimore to pick up my car including the taxi to to port.

The lesson: TRIP INSURANCE PAYS!!!!

We book our insurance outside of RCCL. It's not inexpensive, but well worth the peace of mind.

The reason that I bring this up...........is that my wifes mother and father suffered a fall in Puerto Vallerta on the last day of January of this year.

They were rushed via ambulance back to the ship (Vision) and the ships doctor turned them back to a local hospital. There we learned that my wifes mother had suffered a fractured hip, and would need a replacement. The Mexican doctors are very competent, but it's far better to get the operation in their hometown. We arrainged for an Air Amubulance to take them back to Pheonix that evening.

The bill for both parents at the local hospital...........including ambulance and all tests and medications.............just over $3,000. The cost of an Air Ambulance from PV to PHX........$23,750.

So.........if you are questioning why you are paying $600.00 for insurance.......roll the dice.........that nothing happens.....or be safe and know if something happens............God forbid..........that your costs will be covered.

Rick

Archived