British Colonial Update - Nassau Harbour

scubagirrl

For those planning on using the British Colonial Hilton Beach in the upcoming months, be advised that the government is going to be dredging the harbour to allow the new "OASIS" ship access to the harbour.

This would mean that the water near the port and beach in the harbour will be murky and not very desireable.

The work should start within the next few weeks and be completed by the end of the year.

Have a back up plan.

Well that's one way to help me decide what to do. We were thinking of going there in August. Scuba girl...if we take the water taxi over to Paradise Island from the port...is there a beach with facilities that we can use over there?

Thanks,

KT

Thanks for the info, Scubagirl. We were planning to go there next Saturday, July 12. Do you think they will have begun work by then?

I don't see any signs of Cranes or dredging barges yet, so there is still some time.

You would be able to SEE the barges and construction work as you enter the harbour and from the ship, so you could make an alternate plan if you see that there is dredging going on.

I just wanted to make sure that everyone has an alternate plan for the near future.

As for other beaches, Cable Beach (wyndham and sheraton) will not be affected, and Paradise Island Cabbage Beach is not on the harbour so it will not be affected as well.

To get to cabbage beach, either take a ferry and follow the signs.. it's about a 10 minute walk to the entry point, or just grab a cab for $4 pp.

Cable Beach is accessible by Jitney ($1) on George Street. Day Passes are available at the Wyndham for $15 and Breezes (over age 14) for $55.

For those planning on using the British Colonial Hilton Beach in the upcoming months, be advised that the government is going to be dredging the harbour to allow the new "OASIS" ship access to the harbour.

This would mean that the water near the port and beach in the harbour will be murky and not very desireable.

The work should start within the next few weeks and be completed by the end of the year.

Have a back up plan.

Thanks so much for this info. I hope it's finished by the time we're there in Dec.

Thanks for the heads up, ScubaGirl!

We will be in Nassau on July 29th and I was thinking about the British Colonial Hilton, we normally go to the Wyndham. But, we will head to the Wyndham if the work has begun by then!

At least we will not be caught off guard!

I wrote them last night & they responded!

Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2008 1:07 PM

To: NASHI_Sales

Subject: Dredging

Good afternoon,

There will be no dredging in the area.

Have a back up plan.

As we will be visiting the Lighthouse Beach area in mid -August , I wrote to the Ministry Of Tourism regarding the dredging,and here is their response:

Thank you for your interest expressed in the islands of The Bahamas. I am to advise that the dredging of the harbour is still a far way off, so you can enjoy your trip.

Should you require additional information, please, do not hesitate to contact us again.

cid:_1_04DB768C04DB74380063E32585257480cid:_1_04DB65EC04DB609C0063E32585257480THANK YOU! Edith Collie Dorsett Communication Department

The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism

George Street

P.O. Box N-3701 Nassau, Bahamas

Phone: 242-322-8744/5/8

Fax: 242-322-8749

www.bahamas.com

As we will be visiting the Lighthouse Beach area in mid -August , I wrote to the Ministry Of Tourism regarding the dredging,and here is their response:

Thank you for your interest expressed in the islands of The Bahamas. I am to advise that the dredging of the harbour is still a far way off, so you can enjoy your trip.

Should you require additional information, please, do not hesitate to contact us again.

cid:_1_04DB768C04DB74380063E32585257480cid:_1_04DB65EC04DB609C0063E32585257480THANK YOU! Edith Collie Dorsett Communication Department

The Bahamas Ministry of Tourism

George Street

P.O. Box N-3701 Nassau, Bahamas

Phone: 242-322-8744/5/8

Fax: 242-322-8749

www.bahamas.com

Here's a link to the newest update from the Nassau Guardian.

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/national_local/291207213278696.php###%20template%20not%20found%20

Senator Foulkes said the Port Department was currently working with the Ministry of Works to oversee the dredging of the Nassau Harbor, which is expected to begin before the end of the year. The Free National Movement Senator did not reveal the cost of the dredging or the depth, in his presentation.

Before the end of the year ---not in the next few weeks!

I do thank you for making us aware.

Here's a link to the newest update from the Nassau Guardian.

http://www.thenassauguardian.com/national_local/291207213278696.php###%20template%20not%20found%20

Senator Foulkes said the Port Department was currently working with the Ministry of Works to oversee the dredging of the Nassau Harbor, which is expected to begin before the end of the year. The Free National Movement Senator did not reveal the cost of the dredging or the depth, in his presentation.

And here I was hoping it would be finished before we sail in December. Looks like we'll get there just as it has started. And I was going to do BCH. Of course, we can always get the day pass and hang out at the pool, but I can hang out at the pool on the ship for free.

Maybe there will be typical bureaucratic red tape and they won't even have started by mid-December. :o

I go in 2 weeks so I will let you know what i see if anything....

And here I was hoping it would be finished before we sail in December. Looks like we'll get there just as it has started. And I was going to do BCH. Of course, we can always get the day pass and hang out at the pool, but I can hang out at the pool on the ship for free.

Maybe there will be typical bureaucratic red tape and they won't even have started by mid-December. :o

Thanks for the heads up. I'll continue to watch this thread for the latest as our trip isn't until mid-August. With the possibility of the dredging disrupting BCH, I started researching the Wyndham as a backup plan. Looks like they have jacked up their rates to $40 and included a lunch, making it not such a good value for my group. Luckily, we can wait to make a final decision until we actually reach Nassau. If things still look uncertain by August, I guess I'll look for a third option.

From what they told me---they just passed the budget for the project.They probably won't start till after August.Too many cruises right now.lol

I feel as you do.We looked into another choice but 40 dollars after it being 15 makes me not want to go there.I think you will be ok for August.

Have fun!

Thanks for the heads up. I'll continue to watch this thread for the latest as our trip isn't until mid-August. With the possibility of the dredging disrupting BCH, I started researching the Wyndham as a backup plan. Looks like they have jacked up their rates to $40 and included a lunch, making it not such a good value for my group. Luckily, we can wait to make a final decision until we actually reach Nassau. If things still look uncertain by August, I guess I'll look for a third option.

I feel as you do.We looked into another choice but 40 dollars after it being 15 makes me not want to go there.I think you will be ok for August.

Another post said they just heard (last night or today 6-10-08) from Wyndham that is was $20 in Sept. Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...

Another news story for the British Colonial Hilton, I was looking to use some points on a reduced point award there until I saw this was going on...

We are delighted to announce upgrades to bedrooms, meeting space and bar areas. Minimal disruption is expected August 18 - December 19, 2008. Executive rooms and the executive lounge will be unavailable from August 18 - November 3, 2008.

This comes from the hotel's page on hilton.com

Another news story for the British Colonial Hilton, I was looking to use some points on a reduced point award there until I saw this was going on...

We are delighted to announce upgrades to bedrooms, meeting space and bar areas. Minimal disruption is expected August 18 - December 19, 2008. Executive rooms and the executive lounge will be unavailable from August 18 - November 3, 2008.

This comes from the hotel's page on hilton.com

Maybe they are trying to do the "upgrades" at the same time as the dredging is going on... they may think that reservations may be down during that time.

Maybe they are trying to do the "upgrades" at the same time as the dredging is going on... they may think that reservations may be down during that time.

Dredging probably won't start til after the holidays I'm told.

As for the upgrade to BCH.. this is the time of year that most hotels do repairs, updates and maintenance. BCH is moving Blackbeards bar to the Palm Court as we'll as refurbishing the outdoor verandah that is used for the concierge level. Upgrades to rooms are done each year on a rotating basis.

I'll keep you posted on dredging as it comes about.

I just returned and had a great time.Beautiful hotel.Beach was so clean.No dredging yet-supposed to be towards end of year as far as they know.They told me they are renovating the hotel in a few weeks though so contact them.They are great about contacting you within a day.

We want to go back----like now.lol:p

Scubagirl~

Can you tell me anything about the Harbour Resort over on Paradise Island? I think it's on the side right next to where the bridge comes over onto the island. Would the dredging be visible from there or be a problem in that area?

(Also, what do you think of it? I have day passes for there)

Thanks much!!

Scubagirl~

Can you tell me anything about the Harbour Resort over on Paradise Island? I think it's on the side right next to where the bridge comes over onto the island. Would the dredging be visible from there or be a problem in that area?

(Also, what do you think of it? I have day passes for there)

Thanks much!!

I've posted a couple of times about this resort. (it's not even a resort, it's an old hotel on the harbour).. it needs a wrecking ball.

The beach is a few meters long and dirty. the pools are filthy, the hot tub disgusting and the liquor no name. Bar food is fine, buffet is a step below dennys.

The dredging won't take place until later in the year I'm told. when it happens, i'm sure the whole harbour will be unsettled by it.

It shouldn't affect cable beach or Cabbage beach, but will probably affect Lighthouse beach to the east end of the harbour. Most of the harbour is marina or commercial property, so it will be business as usual, except for the few small slips of beach that dot the area.

Although Dredging is confined to a small area, the effects will be felt in in large area of the harbour. not necessarily just on the surface, but on the sea floor.

I don't think that this is a small undertaking as some business owners have let on. Once dredging pulls up all the dirt and debris, the waters are saturated with silt, and settleing can cause sink holes and quicksand type issues. I wouldn't look to use those beaches for quite some time after the dredging.

Nature will need to take it's course to resettle the sea floor.

All the construction in the area, especially on Paradise Island with cutting unnatural lagoons and forming coves that don't exist naturally has cause terrible rip tides and sink holes in some areas of cabbage beach.. as well as cable beach. We had a drowning last week along Goodmans Bay at Cable Beach. Cabbage Beach (Atlantis) has closed countless times due to these conditions.

Be sure to choose a beach with a life guard.

Archived