Internet Service on the Queen Victoria versus QM2

bobnatt

On my Queen Victoria cruise that I took last month I noticed a difference in the service pricing between using the ship's computers in the Internet Center and using my own laptop using Wi Fi to connect to the interent.

On my last cruise on the QM2 all discount packages were available whether you used the ships computers or you used your own laptop.

On the Queen Victoria cruise you only got the discount package for the ship's computers. If you used Wi Fi on your own laptop there was no discount package --you just had to pay 50 cents per minute--no discounts available.

Also, unlike the QM2, the free minutes if you are a member of the Gold, Diamond or Platinum levels in the World Club, cannnot be used on your laptop computer ----just if you used the ship board Interent Center computers.

I always bring my laptop to download my digital photos so it is much easier for me to use my laptop (especially since the Queen Grill Suite had Wi Fi capability).

Does anyone understand the rationale for this difference in policy between the QM2 and the Queen Victoria?

Honestly, I don't understand half the things Cunard does. This discrepancy in internet usage is just one item on my very long list.

Cunard did call me about two weeks ago to get my agent input as to what they were doing right... and wrong. It was rather a one-sided conversation with me doing all the talking...

Unless they are using two different servers - one for the computer center and a second for the Wi-fi, I see absolutely NO reason for charges to be any different than their other ships.

Hi Bob, this is off thread but I lost the July 4th thread somhow.

Anyhow:-

Happy 4th Bob.

My love affair with NYC began in the early 70’s when it was a different place than it is today. We used to berth in Brooklyn and usually the first person on board was a minister from the seamen’s mission to warn us of all the places to stay away from. Of course being young and invincible we ignored him. Luckily nothing bad happened to us.

I first visited NYC with my wife in ’91 and we stayed at the New York Vista, #3 World Trade. Had a room on the 18th floor overlooking the river, fantastic.

That was pulled down after the first attempt on the WTC with the underground bomb.

One day when we were on the observation floor of WTC we saw a escalator which had always been roped off before so we went up and found ourselves outside on the roof. We stayed just long enough for a photo in case we got into trouble. Unfortunately the photo could be of me on any high building. But we know where it was and that’s what counts.

We visited at every opportunity during the next several years and got to know the place really well. When we visited early in 2002 we went on a tour of the Lower East Side from the Tenement Museum. The guide, as always on these tours, asked where everyone came from. We were the only non-Americans on the tour and when we said we were from the UK we got a spontaneous and lengthy round of applause. Being English we were quite embarrassed but also very, very touched.

Plenty of people ask us why we visit the U.S. and NYC in particular so often and to be quite honest we can’t explain it. The only explanation we can find is that we just love it.

Approaching NYC by sea now is like seeing an old and beautiful friend with her front teeth knocked out.

We’ve travelled extensively in the States from New Orleans in the south to Fairbanks Alaska. And from NYC to L.A. and all stops in between. We’ve always received a great welcome and have always had a great time.

Happy Independence Day to all.

Gari.

You are right my July 4th thread seems to have been removed. I don't think it violated any rules. I wonder what happened.

It is not Cunard related? It has probably been moved to the "floataway" lounge rather than deleted though.

It is not Cunard related? It has probably been moved to the "floataway" lounge rather than deleted though.

given that it was discussing the close ties between Great Britain and the USA I thought it was Cunard related. How many other British cruise companies are owned by a USA parent?

Nope, can't find on 'floataway' lounge. Though to be honest some of the titles of the posts made me come out in a rash. That's a scary place.

Gari

It is utterly dreadful, isn't it? Once known by one of the (sadly no longer with us;)) long-term members as the 'sinkaway lounge', with good cause.

Sometimes threads simply disappear because the powers that be decide to flex their muscles. Unless I missed something, there was absolutely nothing on the thread to warrant its removal, but it follows a depressing trend.

Annie

Are you referring to the July 4 thread about continuing friendship between the USA and Great Britain?

I was in the middle of composing an eloquent post on that day when it was deleted from the board! When I clicked on "Submit Reply", there was no more thread. I asked the board host to explain "why" and never received a response!

Are you referring to the July 4 thread about continuing friendship between the USA and Great Britain?

I was in the middle of composing an eloquent post on that day when it was deleted from the board! When I clicked on "Submit Reply", there was no more thread. I asked the board host to explain "why" and never received a response!

I also sent an inquiry as to why the July 4th thread was removed. Never received a courtesy of a response.

SNIP....

Sometimes threads simply disappear because the powers that be decide to flex their muscles. Unless I missed something, there was absolutely nothing on the thread to warrant its removal, but it follows a depressing trend.

Annie

And, to get metaphysical, sometimes posts talking about why posts are removed, are removed.

Cheers

Mark

And, to get metaphysical, sometimes posts talking about why posts are removed, are removed.

Cheers

Mark

To get even more metaphysicaller, If posts talking about why posts are removed, are removed when there's no-one on the forum to see it, do they make a noise?

Gari

To get even more metaphysicaller, If posts talking about why posts are removed, are removed when there's no-one on the forum to see it, do they make a noise?

Gari

Only if they get hit by a falling tree, Gari.

J

Archived