contacts and snorkeling

Hi everyone,

I was wondering for those of you with soft contacts.. do you wear them when you snorkel? Do you dispose of them when you return to the ship?

If not what do you do?

I love snorkeling, but have just gotten contacts for distance, so it would be nice to see what I am supposed to be looking at :cool:

Thanks,

Laura

I don't wear contacts. I know many do with little problems. However, I have noticed it depends on where you are snorkeling. In the Bahamas (actually HAL's private Island), MANY people had problems with their lenses. Can the salinity be different in different areas?

I tell my patients to try it and see how they do. It depends on your prescription if you are really going to have any problems. There is a thread below that goes into this. Less than -2.00 should be no problem without CL's. Otherwise, I tell people to get their Rx's in their masks. Many operators rent masks with prescription in them. Just get one with about 20% less than your Rx.

I don't wear contacts. I know many do with little problems. However, I have noticed it depends on where you are snorkeling. In the Bahamas (actually HAL's private Island), MANY people had problems with their lenses. Can the salinity be different in different areas?

I tell my patients to try it and see how they do. It depends on your prescription if you are really going to have any problems. There is a thread below that goes into this. Less than -2.00 should be no problem without CL's. Otherwise, I tell people to get their Rx's in their masks. Many operators rent masks with prescription in them. Just get one with about 20% less than your Rx.

I have my own snorkel equipment, I just didn't feel like spending more money on RX mask...I would most likely be snorkeling in st. thomas and grand turk.

My dr. left the office to grab lunch before I thought to ask him about it, his secretary says she has done it and disposes of her lenses afterward. She also said he would probably recommend not snorkeling with the lenses, I will see him again next Wed to pick up and will ask him.

I just wanted the advice of people who have done it and what their experiences were.

Thank you to both of you!

Laura

Hi,

I've been snorkeling/diving in contacts for over a decade with no adverse effects. Of course if your mask fills with salt water that can have an influence on how your contacts act (yes, there are salinity differences in the ocean, Bermuda has some of the saltiest water). As far as pressures, blinking less, etc. these don't seem to have any short term effects on contacts either. I have 30 day contacts and try to dive closer to the beginning of the cycle just because they're fresher but timing doesn't seem to have any effect either. Get a good sealing mask and jump in. Perscription lenses are good but, like my dive instructor, as he's out of the water, etc. he either has to switch out to his glasses or most times, he wears his mask to see on the beach, etc. Seems funny him walking around with his mask on.

Randall

Yes, Randall, this is true! I have done that and it really is weird. It only seems to be a problem, though, on long beach stretches. Like on Half Moon Cay, if you are all the way down the beach and the snorkeling area is on the other side. On a boat, really no problem.

Not wanting to have to keep up with expensive RX glasses on shore is the very reason I have always opted for contacts over a corrective mask lens. The only problem is that as I got older my arms got shorter for reading, so now I keep a pair of really cheap plastic reading glasses with my gear so I can read and sign the release paperwork when I dive.

Just got back last month from snorkeling in Grand Cayman and diving in Cozumel. No problems at either place. I wear bifocals on terra firma but didn't seem to need them as much under water. I use a crystal view mask and wearing contacts, I feel, is the only way to go. I also only dispose weekly not after time in the water.

I have been diving and snorkeling for over a decade and wearing contacts for over three decades. I dive and snorkel with my contacts in place and have never had a problem. My eye doctor did tell me to blow air into my mask every ten minutes or so to replenish the oxygen which I do.

I also have a prescription mask that I use from time to time when not wearing my contacts. It was not too much more expensive than a regular mask. The mask has the lens ground to specification instead of the insert type.

That sounds like an excellent suggestion. But I am a better Optometrist than a snorkeler so I am not sure how you would blow "oxygen" into your mask. Through the nose? But that would be CO2, no? But if you could get oxygen in there, sounds like a great idea!

That sounds like an excellent suggestion. But I am a better Optometrist than a snorkeler so I am not sure how you would blow "oxygen" into your mask. Through the nose? But that would be CO2, no? But if you could get oxygen in there, sounds like a great idea!

Yep, through the nose. While there's slightly higher CO2, you really only use a fraction of the O2 when you breath in, this is why CPR works. So most of the O2 is left to help oxygenate your eyes (great suggestion by the way).

r

• 2 weeks later...

:D My optometrist handed me a piece of paper with a do and don't list.

Don'ts:

Swim w/ contacts

Shower w/ contacts

Go in hot tub, sauna, steam room while wearing contacts

Blow dry hair while wearing contacts

Apply make-up before inserting contacts

Sleep with contacts in

Rub eyes

Wet contact using saliva

Do:

Clean contacts

Wear sunglasses:cool:

Wear safety goggles when participating in sports

Remove them if eyes are irritated

*Contacts are not eye protection.*

LOL according to him no snorkeling with contacts in. His receptionist says she does it all the time, plus she water skiis while wearing them.

Also, he had a teenaged patient whose contacts melted while he was in a hot tub. I can understand not wearing them around heat.

I really want to be sure I don't swim into the nurse shark in Grand Turk. I think I may be going against the drs. advice in this instance. Noah, my dear BF is an MD and hasn't exactly offered his opinion. LOL

Thank you to all those who have assisted me!!

Laura

Scubaran, Good point about CPR. Never did think about that. I have been CPR certified since 1978 and did not realize that there might be alot of O2 left. Makes a lot of sense!

Bermuda, You got a really comprehensive Optometrist. A little bit too cautious, maybe but better that way than the other. And contacts can't really melt on the eye. There have been a few erroneous news bits like that. They may have "changed" a bit, like in shape but it would take extreme heat to actually melt. Perhaps your OD figures a scared patient is a cautious patient.

And don't worry about the nurse shark. It is that Great White that you have to worry about :eek:

:D My optometrist handed me a piece of paper with a do and don't list.

Don'ts:

Swim w/ contacts - done it for years

Shower w/ contacts - done it for years

Go in hot tub, sauna, steam room while wearing contacts - done it occasionally

Blow dry hair while wearing contacts - do it every day!

Apply make-up before inserting contacts - well, don't wear that much makeup, but when I do, it goes on after the contacts are in.

Sleep with contacts in - do it most nights.

Rub eyes - do it whenever

Wet contact using saliva - haven't done this one since hard contacts went out.

I've been wearing contacts for 33 years, have never lost one yet. (Or melted one in my eye! Yuck!) I've been snorkeling for years and have done 270 dives in them, no problems. Although I will say going off a diving board with them in is a bad idea .... Only did that one once!:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A couple more notes on the subject:

I have contacts and I have no problem snorkeling or diving; however, I have a small towel I keep in a diver storage container for when I surface which helps with any saltwater discomfort. Also, for those times when I can't read my gauges, I have an underwater magnifying pocket piece.

Additionally, my husband found generic prescription masks at Sports Authority which came in 3 levels and cost around $60 which work great for him.

Archived