Boudica - tell me I haven't made a mistake!

I have cruised a few times on various lines (and enjoyed them all!) and am taking my sister on her first cruise in October on the Boudica. It is a short cruise just so that she can get a feel for cruising and hopefully we will do a longer cruise next year (she may join me on my T/A or we'll do a med cruise - probably not FO though).

I am now concerned that her she will not get a great impression of cruising as there seem to be some issues with the ship.

I do accept that you should take some "extreme" reviews with a pinch of salt but would love to hear from people who have recently sailed her and what their impressions were.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

Guest Anorak33

Hi,

I suppose I should not be replying to this as I am not a person who has recent experience of this ship.

However your post has been up for a little while and no-one has yet replied.

You may have read on here an imaginatively titled post about a new member's socalled "cruise from hell".

If this is the main basis for your concern that, as you say, "there seem to be some issues with the ship" then you probably have nothing to worry about.It was a one off problem and was NOT a "cruise from hell" and the cruiser did not do the right things to help himself get the problem sorted out onboard.And now he wants revenge, not justice! Hence his posts.

Or have you read other more balanced reviews by experienced cruisers who have given you reasonable cause for concern that there "are" problems on an ongoing basis rather than there "were" problems on a couple of occasions as reported. I didn't see many at all.

Let's face it FO is not for everybody, it is a little quirky at times. If someone cruises on FO for the first time, pays top dollar for their cruise and has unrealistic expectations then if the cruise is not perfect they may well become annoyed.

FO has older ships and there are sometimes issues with these which would not happen on a newer ship.

But I have generally found the crew to be very accommodating and professional. The reception staff on the front desk however are, like that of many cruise lines, somewhat lingusitically challenged when it comes to anything other than basic problems and can appear unhelpful. And this is the first place people go with a problem. It doesn't work out well very often.Why don't FO get native English speakers to do this job ?

There is always some passenger who is unhappy on any cruise, somehow they often seem to find their way here, often as their first post on the site.

FO head office is small and can become swamped with all sorts of customer service queries and may take them a while to sort out and deal with them. But at least they do it, with the really large mass market cruise lines your complaint is very likely to disappear into a black hole forever.

I can understand why you have booked a short cruise as an introduction to cruising for your sister, however short cruises don't give you or the crew time to settle down and adjust and as such are not representative of a more relaxed longer cruise.

Anyway I would be pretty confident that you and your sister will have a great cruise, you are an experienced cruiser and will be able to help her adjust to shipboard life.

Haveing cruised 4 times on Boudicca ,I can tell you she is a very nice ,comfortable ship, the crew and officers are lovely and the food is very good.

I last cruised on her in Dec., and unfortunately the weather was dreadful ,we had to spend 3 days glued to the dock in Cherburg,however if you want to see photos of Boudicca and read my blog about her ,go to http://www.getjealous.com/mrs noah you will need to scroll down as you will see I travel a lot.

No, you haven't made a mistake. The Boudicca is a lovely ship with pleasant decor, good cabins and excellent food. The service is superb and the on-board atmosphere is great. I expect you will have a great cruise on my favourite Fred. Olsen ship. Bon voyage.

Cruises / voyages completed:

Canton (P&O) 1957

Circassia (Anchor Line ) 1959

Black Prince (8 cruises)

Balck Watch (12 cruises)

Boudicca (2 cruises)

Oriana (P&O)

Cunard Countess (Cunard.

My husband and I are on the 3 day trip in October too. We first travelled with FO on Braemar in the Caribbean in 2003. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and thought the service and food on board was excellent. Since then we have travelled mostly on P&O just because we like the facilities they offer.

However, we thought we would like to sample FO again on a different ship and as we live very near to Southampton the 3 day trip seems a good offer.

Annie:)

Hi Pat,

I too have booked on this ship for the first time next year to celebrate a significant birthday. I've also read the bad reports and do tend to worry a bit about things like this, but I've been places before that I've read bad reports on before I've been and again I've worried about it before the trip. However inspite of this I always go with the attitude "It's my holiday, I'm going to enjoy it." And I always do! And I'm usually amazed that it was the same place people where complaining about!

I read a great signature line somewhere on this site. It went something like "The people who get the most out of this life are those who make the most of how life turns out." How true is that??!!

Enjoy your cruise!

(Beautiful part of the country you live in by the way.)

Thanks Curly - I like the line you quoted. I have never had a bad cruise myself (or bad holiday come to that) they are what you make them and if you go with a positive attitude it helps.

I hate to say it (generalisations and all that!!) but the worst moaners I've heard were all Brits on British ships!

And I agree - Harrogate is lovely as are the beautiful dales but they could be a lot sunnier!!

Pat

• 4 weeks later...
I have cruised a few times on various lines (and enjoyed them all!) and am taking my sister on her first cruise in October on the Boudica. It is a short cruise just so that she can get a feel for cruising and hopefully we will do a longer cruise next year (she may join me on my T/A or we'll do a med cruise - probably not FO though).

I am now concerned that her she will not get a great impression of cruising as there seem to be some issues with the ship.

I do accept that you should take some "extreme" reviews with a pinch of salt but would love to hear from people who have recently sailed her and what their impressions were.

Thanks for your help.

Pat

I am considering a cruise on the Boudica, flying out to Barbados 1st Feb 2009 and wondered what anyone can tell me about the outside cabin as on the one video I have found it appears not to have a porthole which seems a little odd. I have looked on the pictures but have found just the one video which looks very poor. I am keen to go as I like the itinary and a local agent has arranged flights from Newquay, Cornwall which is good for me.

Thanks in anticipation,

Hawks

I have cruised on the "Boudicca" and know that all outside cabins have either a picture window or a porthole. She is a lovely ship. Don't take much notice of some reviews. There are people who go on cruises (and land based holidays) whose main aim is to find fault and be generally miserable. You will also find those who have an enjoyable cruise until the last couple of days and then find fault with everything, complain and hope to get an additional discount on the next cruise! Another group buy cruises at rock-bottom prices and expect six-star treatment.

The vast majority go cruising, see wonderful places, meet pleasant people, eat and drink well and have a great holiday. I shall be going on my 23rd cruise ( for 28 nights) with Fred. Olsen in the Autumn and I am sure it will be just fine.

I am considering a cruise on the Boudica, flying out to Barbados 1st Feb 2009 and wondered what anyone can tell me about the outside cabin as on the one video I have found it appears not to have a porthole which seems a little odd. I have looked on the pictures but have found just the one video which looks very poor. I am keen to go as I like the itinary and a local agent has arranged flights from Newquay, Cornwall which is good for me.

Thanks in anticipation,

Hawks

We have just returned on 25th July after being on Boudicca 'Summertime in Norway' for 1 week leaving from Leith, Edinburgh. We are 61 and 63 years of age fit and well most people on the ship were over 70 years of age and the entertainment was towards that age group as was most things going on during the day also. 1 night we had Al Jolson and Judy Garland music 1 night we had Summer Holiday Cliff Richard (Great and dancers fab) 1 night Jim Bowen from 'Bullseye and Comedians' he was excellent. Our cabin was on Marina deck, outside with 2 x large portholes, plenty room in cabin shower small. Our cabin was 3011 and we had no noise. No sea sickness on North Sea either Food was good but sometimes queues in the morning for sausage, ham and egg. Staff were very helpful. Overall we would go again with Fred Olsen but ship is not as luxurioous as some other ships with large Theatres and ice making machines etc etc. Movies nder the stars. Boudicca has plenty room for sunbathing on deck 9 and 10 and raised areas with steps. Pool was heated when we were in Norway. No fridges in rooms but you can request one, we requested one 3 months before going. We did not receive any shampoo, conditioner, shoe polish and sewing set that others got so I requested one and got it. Pool side bar is very good at lunch time, Soup, Minute Steak, Burgers, and Fish and Chips It was great to sit outside and eat rather than going to dining room. Smoking at Neptune lounge not good very smoky and smelly This should be outside as there were people smoking pipes, cigars and cigarettes. We had no problems and did not look for any Walked up and down stairs as their were many older people taking lifts. No problem with this and ship being smaller lets you get to know more people for at chat. Only 2 sitting for meals at night 6.30 and 8.30 Hope this helps. JOAN

Hi Pat,

I too have booked on this ship for the first time next year to celebrate a significant birthday. I've also read the bad reports and do tend to worry a bit about things like this, but I've been places before that I've read bad reports on before I've been and again I've worried about it before the trip. However inspite of this I always go with the attitude "It's my holiday, I'm going to enjoy it." And I always do! And I'm usually amazed that it was the same place people where complaining about!

I read a great signature line somewhere on this site. It went something like "The people who get the most out of this life are those who make the most of how life turns out." How true is that??!!

Enjoy your cruise!

(Beautiful part of the country you live in by the way.)

hi

we travelled on the boudicca last year

and are going on again 1st oct 7 nights and have also booked translantic crossing in april for 16 nts barbados to southampton

Having just been on the queen mary 2 and coral princess this year,

the boudicca has a lot of things that are better then those two and a lot worse.

The ship i think is an old stager , formal attire, but friendly.

The staff are really nice and accomadating. We found the food good, the afternoon tea dances and the entertainment (not west end ) watchable and the crew show unmissable .

We watched it twice, brought tears to our eyes.

Rooms are small but well fitted out, lots of draw space.

have a good time and enjoy yourself

steve

hi

we travelled on the boudicca last year

and are going on again 1st oct 7 nights and have also booked translantic crossing in april for 16 nts barbados to southampton

Having just been on the queen mary 2 and coral princess this year,

the boudicca has a lot of things that are better then those two and a lot worse.

The ship i think is an old stager , formal attire, but friendly.

The staff are really nice and accomadating. We found the food good, the afternoon tea dances and the entertainment (not west end ) watchable and the crew show unmissable .

We watched it twice, brought tears to our eyes.

Rooms are small but well fitted out, lots of draw space.

have a good time and enjoy yourself

steve

Hi Steve,

Nice to find someone on the same cruise! Have you done a TA before? DH is a bit worried about the long stretch at sea.

cheers

Curlywurly

Thanks for the replies, we usually manage to enjoy ourselves and like the itinary of this particular cruise. We did a back to back in the carribean last year and had to get off the ship and go through all the security in Miami again. Not recommended. We did the south China sea with the Costa Allegra this year with the locations in mind and thoroughly enjoyed the places visited. That was an older ship with lots to be recommended and the main thing to put me off would be the lack of shaded outdoor areas where you could sit and enjoy the scenery. We used to resort to taking a chair and sitting under the lifeboats when waiting to leave port.

I fully expect to do the cruise after taking advice and my wife was only put off by the view of the cabins on line.

Hawks

Hi Steve,

Nice to find someone on the same cruise! Have you done a TA before? DH is a bit worried about the long stretch at sea.

cheers

Curlywurly

Hi glad you are on the same TA

No this is the first TA, i have done, the price is so cheap, i booked royal caribean for nov 2009 TA as i got a great price , so i hope i enjoy them.

Not to worried about the time at sea, as the boudicca has a lot going on during the day.quizzes, dance lessons ,usual lectures, golf/putting /sport comps and all that eating.

I like to have a mix and match , chill out days and exploring days.

Were are you flying out from?

We are flying from Stanstead , staying the night before at the radission.

If you need good a deal, price came down from 175.00 to 115.00 for a double room.

On the boudicca again 1st oct for 10 days so will see if its still as good as it was last year.

steve

Hi glad you are on the same TA

No this is the first TA, i have done, the price is so cheap, i booked royal caribean for nov 2009 TA as i got a great price , so i hope i enjoy them.

Not to worried about the time at sea, as the boudicca has a lot going on during the day.quizzes, dance lessons ,usual lectures, golf/putting /sport comps and all that eating.

I like to have a mix and match , chill out days and exploring days.

Were are you flying out from?

We are flying from Stanstead , staying the night before at the radission.

If you need good a deal, price came down from 175.00 to 115.00 for a double room.

On the boudicca again 1st oct for 10 days so will see if its still as good as it was last year.

steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the tip, but we are flying from Manchester.

Sounds like there'll be plenty going on. DH will be pleased about the golf!

cheers

Curlywurly

Archived